Which products do you think are overpriced?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by DealHunter1 • Sep 30, 2013.

1. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I think it would have to be beats by dr dre I seen some headphones similar to those that were half the price and slightly better. Also I think some snack foods and things at the grocery store are high priced as well.

2. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with some of the points shared by Mccanono. Some of the Apple products are greatly overpriced like the iPhones, iPads, and iPods, for instance. You can find better quality tablets, phones, and mp3 players at more affordable than what they are selling, but the Macbooks are worth the money because of the battery life. You can work up to 13 hours on them without needing to be charged.

3. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    It cost $95 for a night cream? Why is it so expensive? They are all made with the same products. I always buy generic or store-brand soaps, lotions, shampoos, and contact solutions. They are the same but a whole lot cheaper!

4. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    Wow. I didn't know that a macbook's battery life could reach up to 13 hours. This is the first time actually.

Well, yeah, my hands are down when it comes to the quality of apple products but then again, I think that they are way tooooo overpriced.

I have read from somewhere that it only costs a little less than $300 to manufacture (from materials to assembly) iPhone 5s.

5. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I gotta tag on the back of the price of organic food.

Don't even get me started on Whole Foods and its marketing.

If you've ever read anything by Michael Pollan, or seen "Food, Inc." he has done entire research projects on the difference between regular chicken in the grocery store, and the sometimes triple in price "free range" chicken.

From the outside of the chicken farms, not a lot looks different.

It's pretty eye-opening, the way marketers have figured out what the public wants, and jacked the price on fads. There is actually so little regulation on the difference between normal and "organic" that many consumers are paying more for essentially the same thing. When it comes to meat, they are often paying for a higher risk of catching a disease because cattle, chicken, and pigs are packed in just as tightly, but aren't given anti-biotics to kill whatever crap they are still passing around on the organic farms.

I will always pay more for "local" produce and meat because I do believe in the power of small business, and the lowered carbon footprint of saved driving and storage. I think most "organic" lovers would do better to get the hell out of Whole Foods and spend the same amount at their farmer's market.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think everything from Apple is overpriced. Some of their products are higher quality than some other brands, but it does't justify all of them being so much more expensive! Even the new Iphone 5C.. it's a joke that it's advertised to be the more affordable Iphone, when the price is barely different.

7. pxyc

pxycNew Member

Threads:
    Apple products and Beats by Dre are the main thing, but they've both been mentioned already. Another thing is cell phone texting. I mean, each message contains a ridiculously small amount of data, but yet carriers charge $30 per month for unlimited messaging! I can't imagine the margin of profits that they're making on this, and seriously it's an issue.

8. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I love good hair products. Biolage and Paul Mitchell are my favorites and they work great, but to me, I don't see why hair products need to be so expensive. I get that manufacturers assume women will pay anything for hair care and cosmetics, but we are getting so tired of the high prices. I do bargain shop but have not found lower end hair products work as well.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that Apple products are way overpriced, but what's overpriced in general are anything that is classified as a "designer brand" like designer bags, shoes, etc. They make the price of branded items look affordable.

10. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    My vote would be for designer clothing as well. However, that may be the point, it's expensive so you impress people with your fancy clothes. Not my thing I guess.

As other people have said, Apple products and Beats headphones are also notoriously overpriced.

11. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Branded beauty products are overpriced especially the ones labeled organic and natural. It's quite noticeable that when a cosmetic product is endorsed by a famous model or celebrity, on a glossy magazine ad with a Photoshopped image, then that product's price is also insanely high. Come to think about it, even if we buy gallons of those products and slap them on our skin 24/7, we will never come close to the image that's advertised. So, why bother buying the overpriced cosmetic product?

12. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll go to the most obvious; Apple products. But at least they don't make it a secret that you're just paying for the brand there. Also, I think that many pre-built brand PCs are pretty overpriced, and definitely don't have ideal build for the money. I guess they have to make profit somewhere..

13. RotBaron

RotBaronNew Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I find a lot of fragrance products to be completely overpriced. I don't mean in the sense that producers are making hand over fist on them but just that they're unnecessary. I guess I just prefer a lack of smell sometimes, for example I find the smell of fresh air from an open window preferable to a candle. What do you all think though? What kinds of fragrance or perfume products are worth the money?

14. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, that almost everything nowadays are overpriced. There is not one category of item, that does not have an expensive brand in it. The one that does the worst on me is clothing though. There are popular brands of clothing that are very overpriced. It makes you realize exactly why people get replica versions of items. I mean even if you buy a brand from the retailer itself, it is still a possibility of it ripping or anything related.

15. Inconsitency

InconsitencyNew Member

Threads:
    A very well known one is any Apple product. Recently a report was released claiming that it cost Apple $99 to create an iPhone 5, and a couple more dollars for an iPhone 5S. Their Macbooks are horrendously overpriced as well, as any PC with similar specifications would cost much cheaper. I feel as though a lot of Mac users are ignorant, as they claim that their Macbook lasted way longer than a PC, but they're comparing it to a dirt cheap laptop. A couple of weeks ago, my friend cracked his Macbook Pro 15 inch screen, and the repair cost was an upwards of $500 (charged by the Apple store). Yes, Retina displays can be expensive, but it's unnecessary. The only thing that's really keeping them afloat is their customer fan base.

16. Nevermore

NevermoreNew Member

Threads:
    It's a looong list:
    - A lot of people already said Apple products are expensive, with the focus on iPhone and Macbooks, but after the yesterday's keynote the most appalling price is $399 for the iPad 2. We are talking about a 3 years old device sold at the same price of a 2013 tablet. It's insane.
    - Bose. They spend a lot on marketing and nothing on R&D, their products are mediocre at best with low quality components.
    - Textbooks. There's not much to say about this, we all know the insane price for a textbook.
    - Not many people realize this, but SMS are very expensive. They cost carries nothing, so even 25 cent per message is too much.

17. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Apple products are ridiculously overpriced but people continue to buy them so the prices will not be coming down.

Ultimately people need to stop buying the products and the price will be forced down by the lack of demand.

18. alfonso

alfonsoMember

Threads:
    We'll, I also think Apple products are over priced. I think they people pay more for Apple products for the illusion that they are unique. Ha! Tell that to 500 million plus Apple product users. You can also add Alien Ware laptops, Ernie Ball guitars, cigarettes, petrol and ramen to that list. I got a bunch more, those are just off the top of my head.

19. iShootRocks

iShootRocksNew Member

Threads:
    Beats by Dr Dre, Apple Products, Alienware computers, and Abercrombie clothes to name a few. All these products are so overpriced just because of how well marketed they are. You can get better quality for half the price on any of the products listed.

20. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree about feminine products. I was in Target yesterday looking to buy some. They are ridiculously overpriced. I have been buying my products from the Dollar Tree. I was in Target buying other items so I went to check the ones sold at Target.

$400 is a mortgage payment?! In my area, $400 doesn't even get you a single apartment in the worst of neighborhoods with drug dealers and prostitutes as neighbors.