Which products do you think are overpriced?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by DealHunter1 • Sep 30, 2013.

1. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    feminine products! Seriously. Those companies know that people will buy the products no matter what the price, so they charge more.

2. Manny

MannyMember

Threads:
    Definitely cheese. I can certainly understand high-quality or artisanal cheese warranting a higher price, but standard cheddar or mozzarella which is mass-manufactured shouldn't be so expensive. I'm also blown away by how pricy paper products can be. I suppose with the deforestation issues, it was bound to happen.

3. Trent

TrentMember

Threads:
    Iphones!

You have no idea how much cheaper they are to make than anyone realizes.

#63Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    IMO, most products are over-priced. The reason I suppose, is because there are too many middle-men trying to earn a commission. That extra is usually transferred to the consumer. If middle-men were to be cut out of the supply chain completely then quite obviously prices would drop by about 10%.

5. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    Apple products are definitely overpriced. If you think about it, Apple products are pieces of technology that they sell very cheap in Asian countries. The thing that makes it expensive I think is the metal that surrounds it.

iPhones are heavy mainly due to the outer cover, and that cover is expensive, in my opinion. But still, the markup is still very high.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So true, all products are over-priced, especially services like gas and electricity, they simply charge us what they want.

Also, for example, fruits. Buying apples at a regular supermarket I can buy them at 1.80€ per kilo easily, if I go to a small shop with local producers I get them at 1€ per kilo, 80 cents less per kilo, almost half price!!

7. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    Apple products are by far the most overpriced items on the market. You can get android tables that do pretty much the same thing for at least half of what an Ipad would cost.

The prices of food are going up very quickly. I do grocery shopping every week for a family of 5. Three weeks ago a head of lettuce was .38 cents and this week $1.18. Milk went up by about .10 in one week. I understand the reasoning behind it, however that doesn't help me feed my family.

The price for electricity here in Texas is almost triple what we paid in Idaho and we are living in a much smaller house than we did there.

Also, almost anything you buy in a mall is higher priced than say Walmart. Of course it's probably better quality. I don't mind spending a couple of dollars more on shirts if they will last longer.

8. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    Those "Beats" headphones are way overpriced! It's ridicules! They are just headphones, do they have special features that I am not aware of? My oldest son wants a pair but I just got him $20. I have no intention of spending that much money for a set a headphones. You can get the ear buds for $5.00 now.

9. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, Apple products are grossly overpriced. I say this because all their products have competitors which perform similarly and are priced quite less then them. For instance, Apple's iPhone costs about 700$ for the unlocked version where as a nexus phone costs almost half its price at about 350$. This is the case with almost all of their products, be it their mp3 players, tablets or laptops.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If Apple products are overpriced why do people keep buying them? I think that a product is overpriced only if people don't buy them, if people keep buying them so the best price is the highest price. Consumers should really complain about those prices and not buy them or else nothing will change.

11. bobthemuffinman

bobthemuffinmanNew Member

Threads:
    Apple products and Beats by Dr Dre. The iPhone, in my opinion, is a good phone if you live in 2012. The macs are extremely overprice for what they can do, and you can buy a much cheaper tablet with Android. Beats by Dr Dre have terrible sound quality, but are a "fashion statement".

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually think computers are overpriced. Unless you are willing to buy a 9 year old used computer, it's hard to find a recent computer for under $400. Does it actually cost $400-$1,000 to put together some plastic and metal parts? Computers are important, so we shell out the money or settle for an older used model, but I wonder how much it actually costs to make a computer.
    An XBox 360 is basically a computer. It has a hard drive and connects to the web. If they can make an Xbox 360 for under $300, why can't they make a basic home computer at that price?

13. bms00

bms00Member

Threads:
    A college education! It should not cost more a year to attend a college than a graduate will make per year after graduating. Almost every private school costs over $50,000 a year once you count room and board, and public schools are over $30,000. That's a huge burden even for well-off parents. Meanwhile, schools are using fewer and fewer full-time faculty so that people with Ph.Ds have to teach at two or three colleges just to pay the bills.

14. TomRalphio

TomRalphioNew Member

Threads:
    HDMI cables etc are ridiculous. If you go to a branded store you might end up shelling out a couple of hundred dollars for a full set-up what with those fancy gold-plated cables. Instead, you can find so many cheaper options online that will get delivered to your house in a couple of days What amazed me is that I managed to get HDMI and audio cables at about 1/10th the store price and they haven't really given me an trouble at all.

15. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I think snack crackers are overpriced. There are certain crackers I think taste better that are made by the more well-known food companies, but I've found snack crackers at places like Dollar Tree and Family Dollar that are just as good at a fraction of the price. I've found some of the store brand ones to be pretty good, too.

16. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    Definitely anything made by Apple. Even though their products are great they're still ridiculously overpriced. They charge you a huge markup for selling their hardware and software combinations.

17. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    Don't mean to step on gamer's toes by saying this but I feel like the xboxone is greatly overpriced, especially for its slightly inferior performance to the ps4, increased price over said console and lack of interesting games. I don't really think the ps4 is that great either but its a better deal for the money at least.

18. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I always thought Apple products are ridiculously over priced, I mean, I don't think you should charge $500 for a phone that does absolutely the same as other phones of that caliber. Okay, maybe its okay for the phone, but for MP3 players? The iPod Shuffle costs like $50, I mean sure its quite cheap, but for an MP3 player half the size of you thumb and plays only 2GB's worth of music? Well that's overpriced. Also, a mere USB cable for your Apple devices costs $30, I mean surely if that doesn't sound over priced to you then I don't know what your take on expensive is.

19. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would have to agree about Apple. I mean I wanted an Iphone 5 and I absolutely love mine but I got it with Amazon cards I had saved up. I also only just got it in February and I wasn't interested in 5S or 5C. I researched about it and how much better is the camera? Also even though the 5C is the only one with a colored model I don't see the need when you can just get cases to make yours unique. It also looks cheaper.
    I love the Iphone for the apps mostly but I don't think I would get a Macintosh computer. It sounds much less secure than Windows and more difficult to use. Also I am fine with my Android tablet. However Android phones are overpriced. At least mine was. It's a piece of crap even after jailbreaking it. I don't know how they can live with themselves making you spend 100 some dollars for a phone with bloatware all over it.

I also think clothes in general are overpriced. I guess because I'm not a clothes person. I mean I'll have a preference in style but I dread shopping for clothes. The only time I like shopping for clothes is on vacation. I've kept a lot of the same shoes for years.
    However the number one thing that is overpriced is Sea World food. I guess they know that people have no option because apparently you can only take food from home to eat in the park so they know they can get away with it but I have avoided eating there when I can. Well the whole park is expensive really but at least a lot more worth it than the food. It was 8.99 for their small and average tasting pizza and this is coming from someone who loves pizza.

20. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    As much as I hate to say it because I am a huge technology nerd, I would have to say that electronics are way overpriced, especially video game systems! I don't want to pay like 700 dollars for a video game system!