Which Retail Chain Has The Best Deals Walmart or Target?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Scottf13 • Mar 25, 2014.

1. Scottf13

Scottf13Member

Threads:
    I have worked for both briefly, and shopped at each of them on occasion for years. I have noticed a few things about how they tend to operate in my area. Walmart tends to make their prices a little lower overall compared to Target for general merchandise that isn't store brand, but then adds in tiny little sales differences to try and bring in more sales. The difference in price for their clearance items is often laughable as the price seems more like a normal, if modest, sales price.

Target often seems to have slightly better products at a higher initial price, but then after a month or so those prices drop like a rock. When Target has a sale, they have a sale! Their clearance items are especially good deals.

I tend to see better guest service at Target when compared to Wal-Mart. The staff tends to be slightly happier, even if they often earn less than Wal-Mart employees in many areas.

Wal-mart tends to have a better variety of stuff, unless there is a Super Target in the area.

What are your thoughts? Does this assessment seem right to you, or are these stores different in your area?

2. bms00

bms00Member

Threads:
    I agree with you. I feel like the cheapest item at Target is usually a very low price but still a decent quality product. The cheapest of any item at Wal-Mart is likely to break or be of such poor quality as to not be usable.

Wal-Mart stocks more items but seems to constantly be out of many of them. From what I've read, they often have these items in the warehouse but don't have the staff to put items on the floor in a timely manner. Target is much more rarely out of an item, always seems better organized, and provides a more pleasant shopping experience. The lines are much shorter as well.

The one advantage of Wal-Mart is availability of groceries. I could never do all my grocery shopping at Target but I could get pretty close at Wal-Mart. I do notice Wal-Mart having better grocery prices as well.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In terms of money, I believe Walmart has better deals by far. But Target has higher quality products for sale and they have good deals on those often, for example for beauty products, Target has way better quality products and way better deals, while i find Walmart has better prices and better deals on food items and cleaning supplies.

4. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    That is hard to choose, I like Target better, they have higher quality items especially in clothes and the store is always clean and organized. However, Walmart has just about everything I need and is a one stop shopping store, they are cheaper but the quality of there clothes is lower than Target. I think I like Target more, however I go to Walmart on a weekly basis and only go to Target a few times a year and it's usually when we have gift cards.

5. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely agree with all the responses here in that Target has higher quality items. They also have awesome discounts and sales. And a Target sale is different than a Walmart sale. At Target, even their sale/clearance items are very good quality, while Walmart sales mostly just are made up of cheap items. I like Walmart for food and basic things, like towels or soap. I like Target for unique household items, shoes, and sometimes their clothes. (Even though they mostly are not my style.)

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. I think Walmart has better prices but Target has nicer items that look more stylish. A family that shops at Target will be better dressed and have a more stylish looking home, but a family that shops at Walmart will have more food in their refrigerator. They both have different strengths.

7. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    If you're going for a list of particular things, you'll save more at Walmart. If you shop for what's on sale, you'll save at Target.

Plus, as others said, some of the things at Target are a lot nicer. Walmart has been stepping up its game, though; the Better Homes and Gardens housewares stuff is pretty nice. Some of their clothing is cute. I'm actually not a fan of most of the clothes at Target for some reason, but I do like their accessories and such. And they have nice stuff for the home as well.

8. micah13

micah13Member

Threads:
    I actually have to say Walmart on this one. I've found much better deals at Walmart than Target, and as long as you don't try to intentionally break the product, it does just fine. Then again, don't just buy garbage because it's cheap.

9. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Wal-Mart is usually cheaper but Target has better quality and variety. Wal-Mart and Target both have great deals at various times on their products, though. I will buy my groceries from WM while Target gets most of my business for other departments.

10. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    The Walmart stores in my area tend to be sloppy and disorganized. Unless a person goes when they first open, chances are they will not find what they are looking for.

Now most Target stores are bright, cheery, organized and there are price-checking machines just yards/meters apart. Some items (like housewares) are of better quality and most store layouts allow for an effective shopping experience. No one likes a cramped store, even if the prices are lower.

11. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Where I live, we only have a K-Mart and a Wal-Mart. The closest Target is a hour long drive away, so I visit Target very rarely. Our Wal-Mart is alright; the employees aren't always great, but they've never been straight up rude or nasty to me. One thing that does bother me, is that our Wal-Mart never has anything in stock! I swear, they only restock twice a year or something.

Anyway, Wal-Mart generally has better deals then Target does. But, as so many others have said, you're paying slightly more because you're getting a better quality product. I'm kinda null on this. Both stores are equally good in my view.

12. epiczail

epiczailBanned

Threads:
    If you find sales at Target they are cheaper and a lot better quality than Walmart, I will usually shop at Walmart for groceries or electronics but Taret for everything else.

13. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    It depends

Hello everyone. For me personally, it depends on what you are looking for. Walmart has great prices when it comes to buying groceries whereas target has good prices when it comes to home decor and electronics. I do most of my grocery shopping at Walmart and most of my shopping with other products at Target.