Which Video Game Movie Should They Make Next?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Nov 18, 2013.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If there was absolutely no chance for Hollywood to screw up the next video game movie, meaning that whatever it is, it will turn out perfect, which title would you choose? I'd love to see a proper Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter reboot, but I'd hate it if they dressed them all in black and made everything too serious and realistic.

Which title would you pick, and how would you go about it? Feel free to also state who they should cast!

2. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Street Fighter has a terrible story that isn't really worth making into a movie, honestl. Not to mention the series is convoluted and the timeskips are all over the place.. I would love to see Mortal Kombat, though. Even though I did like the old one, it was cheesy just enough to properly convey the feeling of the original game. :)

3. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I would pick a God of War movie but that would probably need to be divided into several movies, probably a trilogy.

For a single movie my choice would go to Borderlands, lots of action, shooting and explosions.
    All in a exotic alien world with great characters, what's not to like?

4. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I would say the American version of King of Fighters, which is one of my favorite video games. I want to see all the characters come alive in the big screen. Well, that's just a hope.

5. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to see Street Fighter done properly. They can make multiple movies out of it and base it around the different characters. Though, in the past they have failed miserably which is sad.

6. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    Well seeing how cheesy and non-serious the original movies and they still turned out terrible, so I would rather they not make games on them. There really isn't anything in the games to make movies on beyond name calling a few characters.

In hindsight, Mortal Kombat was decent only, the sequel though was atrocious.

7. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    Hmmm, I would choose Uncharted or Assassin's Creed, those video games are practically screaming out to be made into movies.

8. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Another good choice but more obscure is Planescape Torment.
    If anyone here played it then you know what I'm talking about, that game has one of the best stories of any genre, movie, theatre, or games.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A Grand Theft Auto Vice City or San Andreas movie would be nice, they can incorporate the missions, which do have a storyline, in the movies. It would also be nice to see a Tekken and Soul Calibur movie for a change.

10. Exsheel

ExsheelNew Member

Threads:
    Seeing as the person who's SUPPOSED to make the Halo movie already did District 9, I'd love to see a Halo movie. If the Prawns are any indication of how amazing that guy's work is, he'd make the Covenant and the Flood look absolutely amazing.

11. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know about games made into movies. They have not had a really good job of the movies they have made thus far even though there were just three that I know of. I think that if they do make one I would like to see Assassin's Creed. I think that would make a good movie if they do it right. Let's face it Hollywood has a problem when it comes to making movies out of games. They tend to mess it up a lot. I just hope that if they do make another movie from a game, they at least do a decent job of it.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Me too! I think it's what they were going for with their recent attempt, but obviously that failed miserably as well. They should really just watch the anime movies first and start from there, in my opinion. Granted, those weren't perfect neither, but to me they at least have the right framework.

13. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Video games should generally not be made into movies. However, I think Spyro could easily be made into a movie. Now granted it does a great job of having a complete storyline in the game but I think they could easily add upon it.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think they all have pretty terrible stories lol, they are are all silly and convoluted, since fighting games really don't have much need for a plot past the background story for each character. I get what you're saying, though. Mortal Kombat was at least already a cheesy and silly game to begin with. I think it's possible to translate anything onto the big screen if the right people got behind it. I mean, they were able to make a good movie about turtles with ninja weapons, so I think anything is possible in movies. :)

15. IndianapolisJones

IndianapolisJonesNew Member

Threads:
    They actually did make a Tekken movie a couple years ago, it was universally panned though. I always wouldn't like any Tekken unless Steve or King wins. They made Jin too powerful and a bit cheap (also sidenote, I hate people who use Christie/Eddy and just do the leg sweep move). A Soul Calibur movie could turn out pretty cool, but again a personal bias towards Kilik and Necrid would get in the way of my full enjoyment.

16. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    The Last of Us, definitely. But I hope they don't screw that up by choosing the wrong the directors and the wrong actors, which is mostly the problem with video game to movie adaptations. But I've heard they're on their way to making the movie, and I pray to God it doesn't suck. Another great game that I would love to see in the big screen is Bioshock Infinite. I loved the story in that game and I honestly thing it would make a great transition to a feature film. I also would love to see Dead Space as a movie, but I think it fall on the 'another Resident Evil movie' pile since, well, the story is pretty generic, but still I would definitely check it out on theaters.

17. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I love this idea, and this is the most likely to happen.Simply because Grand Theft Auto is such a popular game.Also the fact that the game has a story mode. So the script is already written. It can easily be translated into a film.

18. JuLovo

JuLovoNew Member

Threads:
    I second the God of War movie. Pretending that everything will please and sparkle, they'd be able to cast the perfect Kratos that can rage and angst all at once while kicking mythological creature booty. And the movie would, hopefully, be in order! Unlike the game with the prequel, then sequel, then prequel, prequel...

I can picture Spyro being made into a PG movie. It'd be something cute to watch with future generations of the family and telling them, "THAT'S the game I grew up with...decades ago."

I can't really think of a game I'd really want to be turned into a movie. Since I say the animated film for Bayonetta, I'm satisfied with it sticking with just that -- no live action for me. I can't picture anyone portraying Bayonetta in all her witchy glory. Maybe a Saints Row movie? They'd surprise those that haven't played the game by turning that into a trilogy.
    First movie: Seems normal and like a cool GTA-fied movie!
    Second movie: It got a bit silly, but it's still pretty "gangsta"!
    Third: Aliens---WHAT?!

19. Scottf13

Scottf13Member

Threads:
    Since the post says something about the created movie being perfect or something similar, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time would be a good choice. A Lufia: The Fortress of Doom, or Chrono Trigger movie would be nice... remember.. it would be 'perfect'. Though, honestly I would rather see those become a full-length mini-series each.

There are so many I would like to see if the creators were to get the movie 'right'.

20. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    Well I hear they are making a minecraft movie. Should be pretty interesting to say the least. But after unexpectedly enjoying the lego movie I am optimistic.