Which word/words do you always seem to misspell?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by sandooch • Aug 26, 2012.

1. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I always seem to misspell the same words over and over again. Why is it that I can remember to spell some words that most people spell incorrectly like 'definitely'? But other words stump me every time I try to think of how they're spelled.

Here are two of the words I always have problems remembering how to spell:

1. Occasion (is it one s or two? I feel like I should add another s in there for some reason)
    2. Vacuum (is it two c's or two u's?)

I'll probably add more to this list later on.

What words always trip you up?

2. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I know how you feel. LOL!!

1) Recommend.
    2) Received.
    3) Achievement.

And many more!! I usually get two letters the wrong way around. Or like you, add an extra letter where it isn't needed.

3. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I have trouble with received!! I always have to think "I before E, accept after C" lol. I also struggle with adequate and appropriate - both of which have red squiggles under them now even as I type this! :) Dairy and Diary used to always get me when I was younger, as did Brain and Brian. How on earth I manage to make a living from writing is sometimes beyond me when I see some of the silly spelling errors I still make now!!!

4. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    LOL...I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this. I think it's getting worse for me as I get older. And here's a really unusual one: When I am trying to spell think, I spell out thing, and vice versa. It's so weird!

5. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    I have problems with the word vacuum as well. Other words include received (for some reason I always want to put the i before e) and acknowledge. If I'm not sure, I always Google the word real quick until the correct spelling pops up.

6. polenksz

polenkszMember

Threads:
    I totally agree.

I often mispell the word believe and receive. If I should begin with e or i

Sometimes the word ' planning ' , single n or nn?

7. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    And the "i" before "e" except after "c" doesn't always apply. Like in the word "weird". Can someone explain to be why the "e" comes before the "i" in this word?

8. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    It's not the only one - I can think of 'hygeine' and 'leisure' just off the top of my head, and I'm sure there are more. It's these rules and exceptions that make the English language so rich and fascinating - and so frustrating for everyone at the same time.

I'm one of those - probably annoying - people who has no trouble with spellings at all. If I make a spelling mistake, it's likely to be a typo rather than a spelling error. When I was at school, though, one word I had trouble with was 'possess.' I knew there was a double 's' at the end, but I could never remember what went in the middle. Then my English teacher gave me a great way to remember. She said, 'Just tell yourself that possesses possesses two pairs of esses.' That stuck with me all these years. There are some great spelling mnemonics