White Breads Or Whole Grain?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by hayrake • Mar 29, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I was raised in a Wonder Bread family. You know, the bread that feels like marshmallows. Anyway, I find I really do most times I buy white breads. I'm not crazy about whole wheat, but I do like rye--light and dark.

Rye is expensive, though, so I don't ordinarily have rye unless I bake it myself. Which I often do. But even baking for myself I tend to usually make white breads.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm not a huge fan of wheat or rye at all usually. I do like making my own bread, but I tend to lean more toward white breads, even though they may not be quite as healthy.

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I take whatever. I really have no preference in bread. I usually get white bread, but I really don't mind when I get whole grain. Sometimes I even get those breads with walnuts and seeds in it, they are nice to have from time to time.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever eat bread but when I do then I buy white bread because it tastes better than whole grain bread. Of course I've heard it said that whole grain bread is better but because its taste isn't all that great I'll never buy brown bread.

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I like to make my own bread. I rarely end up purchasing bagged sliced bread at the grocery. It doesn't make sense to me cost or quality wise. It's a simple process & I get a huge amount that lasts the week.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I grew up on bread, and love it. We ate all sorts of bread, white, wholemeal, seeded, rye etc. I personally enjoy different types including wholemeal more than white, I find them tastier. Once in a while I do crave white bread, especially for toast. I don't think anything can beat golden brown, toasted white bread :)

7. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to drift towards wholemeal bread and rarely buy white bread, unless I'm buying a sandwich and it very often is one made with white bread (I don't know why I think that way). I don't know all the health benefits of wholemeal over white, though I do appreciate that wholemeal is supposed to be better for you.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer wholemeal multi grain bread. These days you have to read the ingredients though and see the percentage of wholewheat flour used, because the name maybe misleading. I found a wholemeal loaf that had mixed flours, it wasn't labelled 100%, but it contained more wholewheat flour than the others.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the taste of white bread better than whole grain bread, truth be told. For health reasons, though, we try to cut back on our white bread consumption and purposely buy the wheat product. As long as the filling's tasty, the bland taste of whole grain bread becomes inconsequential.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not only do I find that Whole Grain bread absorbs butter a lot better and retains he heat better than white bread does, but I also need a diet that is rich in fibre, to avoid further stomach problems, and constipation. So, for me, it is a no brainer. Whole Grain bread all the way. I love it.