White Or Brown Sugar?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by sunnyside • Jun 12, 2016.

1. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Which sugar do you use, white sugar or brown sugar? We always use brown sugar in our home since we have always been told that it is the healthier of the two, although too much sugar intake is not good on the whole. I think the brown sugar sells at a more affordable price too although it sometimes depends on the brand that we buy. I have not bought white sugar in ages so I am not too sure how much that sells for these days, but I suspect that on the whole, it is more expensive that the brown variety. Years ago we used white sugar for baking cakes only.

2. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the recipe. We use mostly white sugar though. Brown sugar has always been more expensive per ounce here. Normally, our grocery store sells a 5# bag of white for $2, but the pound bag of brown sugar is around that same price.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I stopped buying both a long time ago, but I did use both, depending on the use. I stopped buying brown sugar because every single store stopped selling the stuff I was used to and started labeling the dark brown sugar as the regular stuff, which to me is awful. Neither are healthy, but I did love brown sugar.. now it's just gross.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't tend to use a lot of either of them although I have both available. They are both rather inexpensive. I would prefer to buy sugar blend substances, because they are fewer calories, although they cost more. I try to not use a lot of sugar in general though. It is not healthy ffor anyone really. It is just one of the choices that you can make for better health. I like brown sugar on oatmeal though.

5. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Unrefined brown sugar provides B vitamins, plus minerals like potassium (320 mg.), Calcium (85 mg.), Sodium (40 mg.) And magnesium (23 mg.). In regards its calorie content, 100 grams of an edible portion provides approximately 390 calories.

Although 100 grams of white sugar provide almost 400 calories (quite close to brown sugar ), the fact is that the main difference is its zero nutritional contribution. White Sugar tastes better, but it can be very harmful and promotes obesity.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In this era of health consciousness, brown sugar and brown rice including the brown bread are getting popular. However, one thing I noticed is the exorbitant price. Where it used to be that brown rice costs just half of the white well-milled rice, not the brown rice is more expensive. With sugar, the brown sugar is now almost of the same price as the white sugar simply because of the hype of the brown's healthy tag. Yesterday, we bought another kind of brown sugar which is coco sugar - extracted from coconut so it is healthier (as per the label).

Our physician says that sugar is sugar no matter the color. What counts is the frequency and volume of consumption. As one diabetician would say, sugar is sweet in any color.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always used both when I was young. Now that I'm older, I like Stevia or Monk Fruit sugars or sugarclose. I was watching Dr. Oz one day and the first 2 are what the show experts recommend. I go to Walmart to get Stevia for it's the cheapest on the island.

8. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    In my mom's house, we use brown sugar. But honestly, we don't use sugar much anyway. Only when we have this native delicacy called "suman" which is sticky rice. Or in our chocolate porridge. But that's about it, we don't consume brown sugar on a daily basis. I don't drink coffee as well as much, although sometimes I do when I need some energy. And even then, I don't put too much sugar in it, just enough. I'd add on the milk, but not the sugar.

Here in my MIL's house, our aunt cooks for us. She does use white sugar in cooking. But again, it's rare that she uses sugar. But they do consume coffee everyday and that has sugar. I don't though, like I said. I think they drink coffee twice or thrice a day and that's equivalent to lots of sugar since they have the three-in-one coffee sachets.

Like others have said, brown sugar is the healthier alternative, much like brown rice is the healthier alternative. But sugar, when consumed excessively, still isn't good for you. So as much as possible, avoid eating it on a daily basis.

9. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Neither as I don't use sugar at all - as I've always much preferred to use pure honey rather than sugar for anything that requires sweetening and to be honest if it wasn't for the fact that some of my visitors like dark brown sugar in their coffee and I like to make sure that I always have some available for them - sugar is not something that I would generally buy.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We only use brown sugar as that's what most of our family members favor anyway and additionally we heard it's a bit healthier. I think white sugar is also good and can go a lot better with certain dishes or drinks but I don't mind that much that I'd want to keep both around just in case. The only alternatives we keep around is artificial sweeteners because we have to watch our sugar intake because diabetes runs in our family. Otherwise brown sugar is enough for us most do the time.

11. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I mostly use white sugar for cooking. I use brown sugar when a recipe calls for it like in muffins or desserts. I also like to use honey, agave nectar or maple syrup as a more natural sweetener. I have been substituting agave nectar into recipes that call for sugar and it works great. It has a lower glycemic index which I hear is better than white sugar. I have really been trying to cut back on the amount of sugar I use in tea and coffee but it's hard. I enjoy my sweets and desserts too much.

12. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends brown sugar ad a different taste than white so different recipes call for different types of sugar. I have both and also powdered sugar available because I'm always using different types of recipes.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never use brown sugar. It's either white sugar, or sweetener. I like brown sugar, but my fiancée doesn't, and as he is the one who normally uses sugar there wouldn't be a reason for me to keep it at home. I normally use sweetener for myself.

14. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I hardly buy brown sugar.
    We usually buy white sugar.
    I have heard that brown sugar is more healthier but I am not too convinced.
    I think any sugar, especially the sweeteners are not that healthy for you.

15. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I use both brown sugar and white sugar. Brown sugar is called for in certain recipes so I always have it on hand. I love the taste of brown sugar and I think you need less of it to make something sweet. I like to have brown sugar in my oatmeal instead of white sugar. I do not use it very often though.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My dad has stopped buying white sugar a long time ago, because he says that they're more expensive than the brown ones. So until now we only buy brown sugar. The taste is still the same though.

17. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    My family's been using white sugar for as long as i can remember, so when i moved out and is living on my own, i picked up this habit, although i do like white sugar better than brown anyway. I have heard brown sugar is healthier than white but i don't buy that i guess.

18. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I have been using brown sugar for years as I heard that white sugar is worse for health, though generally it's not good to take much sugar as well. I try not to consume much sugar, but when I am cooking some sweet soup or baking cakes, I still put brown sugar, it makes the whole thing become more brownish. I also found that brown sugar taste better, perhaps I am used to it.

19. lucykey

lucykeyMember

Threads:
    In my home I use the brown sugar than the white one. It's also cheaper compared to the white sugar and currently it is easily available in the stores. We are being told that the brown sugar is the best for our health hence prefer it to the white sugar.

20. sommax

sommaxMember

Threads:
    I use only brown sugar or honey. They are both less expensive and good for my body.