White rice or brown rice?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by kate23 • Oct 1, 2012.

1. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    Brown rice has always been said to be healthier because it has more whole grains in it, but it's recently been discovered that white actually has less arsenic (I believe that's what it is?). So really white is healthier. I love both but have always eaten more white, I love white with soy sauce on it.

Will you be changing your rice eating habits because of this? Or will you still choose brown over white rice?

2. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I'm use to white. I have tried brown and they taste different although its sweet but still different and the grain feels weird when chewing it. What I like the most is the Japanese rice, the grain is almost circle and really whiter than some kind of rice.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't care for the taste or texture of brown rice, it's too chewy no matter how much I cook it. I've tried it a few times and I could barely get through a plate of it. Oddly though, I do like the taste of wild rice.

I never heard about the arsenic. Is that because of crop growers spraying pesticides or something?

4. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    Geez, you really can't win for losing where food is concerned. I like both brown and white rice in different dishes. I love white rice when i'm eating something like Thai food, but when I have beans&rice I like brown rice.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Nope, I won't be changing anything. I don't know that people should really switch away from brown based on this either.... they're both rather bad for you.

I'm going to stick with the white rice I eat anyway because I don't like the texture of brown. I know not to each much of it, though, because it's just a filler that doesn't have anything good in it for me.

6. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    I love brown rice! I don't think I'll be changing to white, although my rice doesn't come from the USA anyway. It makes you think about how long intensive farming impacts the Earth though. A lot of the rice growing states in the US are in the south, where they used to grow cotton and spray with chemicals containing arsenic. They also feed chickens and pigs with foods containing low levels of arsenic, and then use their manure. Arsenic is still used in sprays today too in the US, since there is a particular weed (I can't remember what it's called) that seems to be rampant because of the over-use of round-up, which is used in great quantity alongside GM seed from Monsanto.

It's amazing how much big companies are allowed to get away with because they have a lot of money.

7. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I do not eat much rice in general, but I like both types for different reasons. The news about arsenic does not affect how much brown or white rice I will consume. I have subscribed to the notion that everything we eat, even organic foods, has some level of pesticides or other harmful chemicals. It seems nearly impossible to get away from, unfortunately.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have stayed away from white rice even though I love it. I ate it as a kid. I do enjoy eating brown rice, it has a nutty kind of flavor. I will be limited all rice from my diet.

9. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    Brown rice, definitely. Healthier.

However, white rice tastes better to me.

10. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I used to dislike brown rice when I first started eating too, but I think the more you eat it the less you notice the difference between brown and white rice.

11. vjykmr89

vjykmr89Member

Threads:
    I know exactly what you mean. I buy Uncle Ben's Brown rice and I pay $4.12 for a small bag because they don't sell any big bags at least not where I buy the rice. Try an organic store they might sell by pound. But be careful because brown rice can get rotten faster than white rice. So try not to buy too much unless you plan to eat it within 2 weeks and make sure to put in the refrigerator once youve opened it

12. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    A good way to ease yourself into eating brown rice is to start with a 75/25 percentage of white and brown rice, cooked together. Start the brown rice first, as it takes longer to cook, then add the white rice. Each time you have rice, gradually increase the percentage of brown rice. My husband hated brown rice, but doing it this way I've got him eating it for preference. Even if you only end up with a 50/50 mix, at least you're getting the best of both worlds - the health benefits of brown rice, and the flavour of white.

13. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I am from Philippines so rice is a must for us everyday. I am used of eating white rice. It is healthy too but yes you are right that brown rice is healthier. Every once in a while we also eat brown rice but we have limited source of it so we are settling for the white one. Of coarse if we have more source then brown rice is preferred.

14. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Normally I would go with brown, but I haven't eaten rice at all in a very long time because my husband refuses to eat brown and I refuse to cook white. So I pretty much just go with quinoa, which is a much more expensive option, but at least we'll both eat it. I don't think I would stop eating brown rice, though, because of the reports. I feel like there's always something being found somewhere that everybody is going to panic about. Whatever traces of cyanide there are in the rice are obviously not lethal, so I'm not going to freak about it.

15. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I would think that white rice has more starch than brown rice, so I think that brown rice is healthier. However I don't eat mich brown rice.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never cared for the texture of brown rice, we eat it sometimes trying to be more aware that brown rice is better for you, I will eat it but I don't like it. White rice is a staple in the house, we eat it for breakfast, snack and dinner. So no, there will be no change in the choice of rice we eat.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't tasted brown rice yet, only white rice, so I think I would prefer white rice, for obvious reasons. :) I was basically raised on white rice, so maybe one day I'll get to try brown rice to see how it tastes.