Who Are You Wearing?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by pafjlh • Mar 4, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Little did the late Joan Rivers know that when she started asking this question in the nineties as a red carpet correspondent for the E Network that she would change the face of the Awards Red Carpet forever. Now it would seem that others are asking that same question especially of female celebrities wanting to know which designer actually designed the gown they were wearing on the red carpet.

Now there are those celebrities such as Amy Pohler who have started a campaign called As Her More, because they feel that its somewhat shallow to concentrate only on what a person is wearing. But is it really? I mean in my opinion these designers want the plug, they want people to know that the celebrity is wearing their creation and the celebrities seem all too happy to talk about the designer. Yes, maybe some feel that there should be more to talk about but this is a red carpet, and usually people are more wrapped up in fashion then anything else.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They also don't have to pay for a darned thing because they plug everyone they're wearing, so I'm thinking they wouldn't shut up about it even if they weren't asked ;)

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Call it shallow and superficial, but I watch red carpets to see the dresses! I love knowing what celebrities are wearing! And they should be happy to announce it to, because they get the spotlight - both if they are on the best and worst dressed lists.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It doesn't matter who I'm wearing because I basically wear anything I find attractive and worthy of flaunting. I personally find designer clothes unreasonably pricey but on one hand, I also understand the nature of the fashion business so I have no right to complain or brand it as materialism. People who buy designer clothes are obviously the can-affords. Since it's their money, they can dispose of it as they see fit.

5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Same here. I love to see celebrities' dresses on the red carpet too, and I love being able to judge if that dress looks stunning on her or not. I'm not really a fashion enthusiast, but I just like to know who has some good fashion sense or who has a strange taste for clothing.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's part of the game, you get nice dresses to wear in exchange for an endorsement. They don't get to keep the dresses, though some might, but it works both ways. The celebrity gets exposure and looks good and the designer gets their name in the media.

I know there is backlash, but let's face it if the celebrities didn't mention the designers, those freebies would slow down. They are actresses and their fame isn't guaranteed, in fact many actresses that have these dresses are red carpet people to make up numbers and haven't made a film in a while and need the publicity.

7. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with @JosieP@JosieP . The fact is , the stars don't pay for their outfits because they are going to endorse them. As Josie said, even if not asked they would get the name of the designer in there somewhere. Also, even the stars that don't make it to the red carpet but pose for pictures as they approach, the name of the designer is usually mentioned by the reporter. I'm not big on award shows but believe me, if I was getting a free dress, I would plug the one who made it.

8. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    "Who are you wearing?" What an annoying expression! I'm wearing a dress, for crying out loud, not a person!

Having said that, I do love to see the dresses at awards ceremonies, especially the Oscars.

9. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:

Yes, this is what I told my sister about the dress worn by Lupita Nyong, when it was missing. Her reaction was how horrible given how much she paid for the dress. I told her that odds are she got the dress for free, then she was like doesn't the actress have to give the dress back. I told her probably not because designers give stars these dresses to wear, to get the plug and the exposure as the designer who made the dress. So, yes these actresses do get these dresses in order for the designer to get the exposure.

10. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I see nothing wrong with the questioning on the red carpet. Then again, I don't watch red carpet arrivals so I can't say I know what these female entertainers are being asked. I don't see anything problematic with asking what someone is wearing since they are in a designer's outfit. It's part of the show business game and I'm sure these actresses are being asked more than superficial questions. I say don't take it so seriously.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:

Celebrities get TONS for free. Makes no sense that the least in need, get the most for free. Silliness. Even so, many of the dresses are given, but many do need to be returned as well. Especially the jewellery. A lot of what we see on the red carpet is on loan to the celebrity, so it's quite possible if someone loses something (or in Lindsay Lohan's case; steals it lol) the designer is the one who is out a lot of money.

12. Femiluv

FemiluvMember

Threads:
    I honestly don't see anything wrong with the question. Is it superficial? Yes. Is Hollywood pretty superficial? Yes! Most of them aren't paying for the dresses, so they've got to give props to the designers for the freebies. Lupita Nyong'o dress scandal, anyone?