Who Does Your Oil Changes?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by littlewitch66 • Jun 15, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    My partner has been able to do most of the oil changes on my various cars which has saved me a lot of money in the past as garages charge so much.

Do you have someone who can do yours for you or do you do them yourself?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    When I first owned a car my oil changer was my dad since I had no idea what to do. After that I was too scared to try it myself as I didn't want to ruin anything so I take it to the mechanics when I can't get a hold of my dad. I guess to save some cash it would be essential If I learned and do it on my own but then again I don't know anything about the car engine.

3. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Taking it to a shop is a better idea. Note, if you do it yourself, then you might miss things that pros might see. In that case, the extra money to go to Jiffy Lube or somewhere similar is worth it. However, though, if you are some expert on cars, then, of course, doing your own oil changes saves quite a bit of cash.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bus only now, but when I had my car which I had from 1972 to 1986, well I had my mechanic do everything. I love the full service stations and just about when I was deciding to sell my car the full service was being phased out. I was very happy to go to my usual service station where they'd check and let me know about my oil, radiator, brake fluid, trans fluid etc, so I was very lucky. I do miss my car especially when it rains or I've something heavy to bring home or when there is an emergency at home.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have little knowledge in automotive and since our car is quite new at 4 years old, I bring it to the dealer’s shop for the regular maintenance every 10,000 kilometers of use. My peace of mind is more valuable than the money that can be saved by bringing our car to a small car shop with no assurance of the quality of service. At least our car has a higher value because of the maintenance record (in the dealer’s shop).

6. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    We take our family car and public utility vehicle to a gasoline station's car service center for oil changes. They have a machine that cleans and dries off the oil pan thoroughly. The service is fast too. The service fee of $7 per vehicle is quite reasonable. To save, we buy our own engine oil and oil filter from auto shops where they are way cheaper and bring them to the service center.

7. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    @Jamille@Jamille. I don't actually know if we would be allowed to provide our own oil and filter at the garage I use but it is worth checking out as it's very expensive in the UK to have this done. I shall ring and ask them. :)

8. sommax

sommaxMember

Threads:
    Actually, I had a friend mechanic who does mine for me. He had been a mechanic for 10 years now, so I know it's in a good hands. Though he charges me little money for his services, I would like to learn to that for inconveniences.

9. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Hi, actually I am changing my oil by myself. In this way I don't pay anyone, all I must do is to buy the oil from the store, get my car in my yard and change the oil. It is not that hard, in fact, is very easy, and when I change y oil I change the filters as well.

10. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    My cousin is a mechanic and blood is thicker than water. I save a lot of money because I am part of his family. Don't be shy to ask family members for discount on services like this. I always support businesses of family members because they give me discount.

11. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have been pretty consistent in going to same spot for some time, and they have their good deal where about every other time I go in it is only twenty dollars, which is pretty good. Seems like these prices are always climbing though, so my fingers are crossed.