Who has ever been profiled and harassed by U.S. Customs or TSA Agents? Share your story...

Discussion in Travel started by valiantx • Nov 18, 2014.

1. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been harassed too much by TSA Agents, because I rarely travel on plane flights.

However, last year I was profiled and harassed from U.S. Customs Agents, after returning from a cruise ship vacation. I was leaving with my luggage and wanted to wait outside for my friend. Being non-white and having long hair for a male, from the booths that checked our passports to the exit doors must have been like two football fields long, and these Customs Agents looked directly at me the moment they saw me - I knew it too. 10 yards from the exit doors, all of 5 of them came walking up to me and started with their Legal jargon against me, and after a couple of minutes of trying to explain to warn them I have don't know what language their talking about nor have I done anything wrong I agreed to be searched in the back room. They had the youngest working guy, who was the most respectful of them all, check all through my stuff the whole time I was explaining to them I had no drugs and I ain't whom you think I am. All in all, they found my stinking socks and under clothes only, and I gave them the "I told you so, idiots!" look at them all and left to meet my friend.

I understand what the people who act as U.S. Customs do is for safety, but don't go giving me no reason to search my property, after its been scanned through a x-ray machine and checked by other staff members of your Agency ahead of you already!

2. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    Fortunately, I've never found myself subject to these situations in my travels so far. I live in Vancouver, so my family and I head down to Seattle for shopping trips quite often. The only time I can recall being stopped by customs was during a trip when we were heading back to Vancouver past midnight. I think there was some confusion as my brother and I have similar names, but after quick search and asking us questions, we were on our way.

Really sorry that you had to go through all that though. It really sucks ever since security was tightened.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The thing is they have a right to do it, so the easiest thing to do is comply and it's gets done. Usually they target specific flights and do random checks and people with excess luggage. Families usually get through quite fast, but couples, young travelers and those who travel alone can get singled out. It doesn't matter that the luggage has been scanned, part of entering an airport is accepting these terms and conditions. I hate it when you have to repack though. Often they do target branded luggage to make a point or do spot checks, every fifty passengers or so. This is to so it looks like they are doing their job.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    The only time I felt it was over the top was when 911 happened. An example of this would be the random walking through the airport checks. We had wanted to pack light since we knew it would be a lot of hassle but it ended up making us look 'odd' only carrying a back pack. Plus, our back pack was stuffed with our things so every time we were stopped it took forever to get it all together again. They would stop us just walking through the mall area, before entering the sitting area, before getting on the plane, then once again before getting in the actual plane - like there was anything we could have done in the waiting room! The last time I flew the checks were so sparse I thought to myself, 'how do they know I'm not carrying anything dangerous?' So it does seem like they could be a little more balanced. Its like all or nothing. I suppose coming from islands they must have been checking for drugs. It would be nice if people would stop doing illegal things overseas and then taking them across boarders so the rest of us could enjoy the thousands of dollars we are spending on airfare. But I guess I'd rather have the security than none at all.

5. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the responses you all! I'm okay about my own experiences, it just that I believe it gets ridiculous at times what customs Agents of any nation do - one I.D. check and a simple question for your reason to travel is enough in my opinion. Well, stay safe and take care everybody!