Who Has The Cheapest Tv Service?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by danielle davidson • Jun 17, 2015.

1. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I'm going to be getting my own apartment soon, so I'm wondering who has the best TV service out there. I don't need a ton of channels, but also not just the basics. I just don't want all the fancy ones. Right now my parents have Direct TV and sometimes I feel like they are the worst. I see the commercials for them and how they say they are the best service and the cheapest. I'm sure I only see those though because that's the TV provider that we have. So, I wondering what other ones are there? I just want to be able to watch some real TV when I want. What is the TV provider that you would say is the best?

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Anything but Comcast XD. Do yourself and this world a favor and sign up for anything but them. It's probably a given considering how much people have complained about them but after scheduling Direct TV yesterday I am more "done" with them than they were before. I honestly don't know how and it doesn't happen with any of my other devices but the DVR box's cable was apparently loose so that's why the picture was totally pixelated. It's like it just happened out of nowhere. They must have cheap cables or they installed it wrong when they set it up in here. Nevertheless this was the icing on the cake because I've had so many irritations with them.
    I wouldn't know other than that as I don't have another choice to go to. That's mostly why I went for Direct TV (that and it has a show that I plan to watch so I don't have to watch it online and deal with fishy sites). It's either a dish or Comcast.
    However, from what I've heard it varies from person to person once you eliminate Comcast. TV services all seem to have their issues. You could always try signing up for the one that you think and then switching to another if it doesn't work out. If you're crafty you can get deals that way. Just be cautious of contracts.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're going to overpay for cable television or satellite television services no matter what. However, Sling TV might work for your household if you're looking for something inexpensive. Sling TV offers a slew of channels for $20 per month with add on packages available. The service comes with common channels that can be watched on various Internet-connected devices, so I'd recommend that if the lineup of channels interests you. It's basically live television online or through a smart device.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You have to think about the long term cost as most have 24 month deals, so if you move you will still be stuck in a contract and many have small print. Direct TV for its sins is a 12 month contract and you can often find deals through family or friends referrals.

I know it's exciting having your own place, but can you really afford it? It does work out to be a lot and once you sign you are tied in. If they do a deal with your internet it maybe worth it, but also see what is available in your area. See if there are any student deals too.

5. danielle davidson

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo I have been looking at different companies and a lot of them say the prices for 24 months, and then say that they change after that. Well, I don't want to be in a contract and then have to pay more for the following year, you know? That just isn't in my budget. I don't want to spend $100's on TV. My parents have Direct TV and it's good, so I have been thinking about going with them. I just wasn't sure about it. There are deals that I have been looking at with Frontier with an internet package and it's super cheap. So, if I'm able to get it through them then I'm sure that I will.

#5Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
  6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @danielle davidson@danielle davidson Yes, the 24 months contract is too long, especially when you are a student and you don't know if you will keep moving. Maybe your landlord already has a package? I know when I rented it was included and I had Comcast. I know my friends used to split the cost of the internet with her neighbors and had Direct TV. That's another option if you get to know your neighbors.

#6Jul 11, 2015
  7. danielle davidson

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo Exactly, I did sign a year long contract though, so that is good if I have to do a year long contract. Well the thing is that she said the apartments were capable with two different cable and internet places. One was called Frontier and I don't remember the other one. So I tried to contact both companies and when I did they said that they weren't able to service there which is why I want to check out all the options that there is. Yes, it would be pretty cheap because it would be split 3 ways, so I'm sure that will help out a lot.

#7Jul 11, 2015
  8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @danielle davidson@danielle davidson I am not sure about this, if you can avoid getting cable service and just use a Roku or a streaming device you will be dollars ahead. I would only sign up for a bundle package with any of the providers and the prices would have to be quite low to do this.
    I would just compare packages and see who offers the best deal. IF you are going to rent an apartment, some of them have specific representatives from companies so I would check with them.

@troutski@troutski That is pretty interesting. I have heard of Sling TV before but I doubt it would work for me out here in the boonies. We don't have unlimited internet and that is a big problem. I will look into it though since if it worked it could be an alternative that I might find useful. It would be something good and a way to get the programming I am interested in maybe.

#8Aug 5, 2015
  9. Kimberley05

Kimberley05New Member

Threads:
    Cablevision's Optimum TV is a growing cable TV provider that offers packages that range from around $40 - $70/month. Although the entry-level plan is slightly higher than many competitors, Optimum makes it on the cheap cable TV list by providing competitively priced mid-level and high-end packages. Similar to most TV providers, the prices will increase after the first year, and at that point, you will probably be able to find a cheaper provider. One potential drawback to Optimum TV is the fairly limited availability, as it is only available in eight states. Optimum TV has a number of competitive DVRs, including an option that allows you to record up to four programs at once. For households with teens and kids, being able to simultaneously record four programs can help keep the peace. Optimum does not require credit checks in order to sign up for service, which can be useful if you have let your credit slide to a below-average score.