Who Here Actually Checks the ESRB for the Games?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Esperahol • Jun 4, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Everyone knows (or should know) there are ratings for games (including E, T, M, and AO), but how many people actually bother checking for the little box with the rating and the reason for the rating? I usually do just so I know whether I have to wear headphones due to my kid brother's amazing hearing.

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    When I lived with someone else, I did. I don't want to wear a headset to play a video game, so I would take into consideration what would be said through the game. That's why Saints Row was left at the store when I first bought an XBox and was looking for games. Now, that games will allow you to play your own music and drown out the game's soundtrack, it may not as much of a problem, but at that time, I don't think that option was available.

3. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I never really look at the game rating because there is no need to. I don't live with anyone else. I figure it doesn't really matter the game rating if you're going to play online because it is all uncensored and the language on there is usually quite colorful.

4. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I personally don't, and I don't think my parents are even aware that games have an ESRB rating. They judge it for themselves whether it's suitable or not (I'm old enough, but I have a little brother who's equally obsessed with video games as I am, so they do check from time to time - the actual game, not the rating).

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    When my kids were younger, I did. I also read lots of reviews and found out why the game was rated a certain way. I am still not really sure why Halo and Halo 2 were rated M! The rating system has stopped me from buying certain games for my son. He wasn't too happy about it but some of the games have content that kids should have access to.

6. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I have to check, just because I have little ones so...yeah.

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Mmm.. think there is some confusing here. When I say the rating I mean not just whether or not it's T or A, but the little things written under it. Like whether there is excessive violence or cursing or adult themes like drug use.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    For myself, definitely not because it doesn't matter. If I'm buying for kids, though? Absolutely. Generally I'm going to play the game before giving it to a kid anyway, but I'd at least like to know what kind of content I could possibly be putting in front of them before I buy.

9. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    You do a lot better then most. I have been at gamestop and watched a kid pick up something rated M. I have then watch said kid hand it to their mother without the slightest attempt at subterfuge only for her to buy it with the most nonchalance expression ever created. It's not my kid so I can't say anything, but - Jesus lady! At least pretend like you care!

10. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I do because I like to notice and remember obscure details about almost anything when shopping for games. But most of the time, I have no need to look at it since I usually play video games alone and I'm the only one who plays video games.