Whole Grain Pasta or Regular Pasta?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cards538 • Jul 11, 2012.

1. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    I just started using the whole grain pasta and I love it. It's so much better than the regular pasta and better for you too. Where I shop, the prices are pretty much the same so I decided to give it a try.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We eat whole grain because of the health values. I had not thought of combining the two types of pasta. I will give it a try to see how it goes over with the family.

3. PurpleWasabi

PurpleWasabiNew Member

Threads:
    Taste wise, I'd have to say I like regular pasta. I know of the many health benefits whole grain pasta has, but I'm just not used to the taste. I recently discovered the existence of it and tried it out of curiosity. It was horrible, but I was a bit surprised on how different the taste and even texture was. I'm trying to get into a healthier life style, so I've been mixing in half whole grain and half regular into my pastas so that I can get used to it all. Eventually, I'll switch to completely all whole grain!

4. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    I really don't mind if it's whole grain or regular. As long as the pasta tastes good, I have no complaints whatsoever. I know that whole grain has loads of health benefits, but I think I can manage eating just the right amount of regular pasta.

5. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I've actually never tried the whole grain pasta. I was looking at it the other day when I was in the grocery store and thought about trying it. I love regular pasta so it's hard for me to switch in this case. I may try it sometime though.

6. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I like pasta but do not enjoy the taste of the whole grain pasta at all. I do not eat too much pasta, so when I do it is a treat with creamy fatty sauce, or delicious meat sauce. I think for most people it may be a taste preference vs. cost because the cost difference is not too much.

7. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Eventually you'll get to the point where whole grain actually tastes better to you. That's how it happened for me, at least.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never tried whole grain pasta. My palate is used to regular pasta, but I am willing to give it a try. Whole grain is healthier too. I know it will be an adjustment. It was that way when I switched from white bread. Now, I can imagine eating Wonder Bread even though I grew up on it.

9. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer whole grain pasta in most situations. When I am cooking at home, I usually use whole grain pasta due to the health benefits. I consider it a "treat" if we go out to eat or to a friend's house where regular, refined pasta is the only option. I also opt for regular pasta when I have an upset stomach. It is more gentle and it seems to coat my stomach. On the rare occasion that I make macaroni and cheese, regular pasta is a must!

10. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I don't eat pasta myself, but prepare it often for the children. I've not tried the whole grain ones yet, although I come across them all the time at the supermarket. I still use the regular ones and might probably mix whole-grain ones the next time just to experiment with taste, and see how the children like it.

11. malia22

malia22Member

Threads:
    i'm italian and obsessed with all things pasta so whether its whole grain, gluten free or regular, I LOVE IT.

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've tried whole grain pasta on a few occasions. At first, I couldn't tell the difference, but the more and more I ate it I could. It has a "cardboard" smell and taste to it that I can't really get past. I feel like I'm eating a paper bag or something. Regular pasta is not hideous for you or anything, I think people are getting a little carried away with this carb/processed flour thing.

13. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    I hate to get on my soapbox, but PLEASE, people, if you have the option, buy regular pasta (the fresh stuff in the cold section is the best if you don't know how to make your own), and cook it to al dente in HEAVILY salted boiling water. In my opinion, there is nothing better than al dente linguine with homemade marinara sauce and a few shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano. It is simple, rustic, and delicious.

14. mnicole

mnicoleMember

Threads:
    For me it's whole grain as well i eat it a lot now the taste to hit doesn't bother me as much as it did it's actually pretty good plus my kids cant tell the difference so that's a plus.

15. himali.jagma

himali.jagmaMember

Threads:
    i prefer whole grain pasta

16. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I love whole grain pasta now. When I first starting cooking it, I did not like it at all. I would slather it with creamy sauces to mask the flavor. Now I can eat it with a little olive oil and cracked pepper. I haven't had white pasta in years and I don't have any cravings for it at all.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think that I've tasted whole grain pasta, only the regular pasta, so I can only vouch for 1 variant. Regular pasta tastes good, and from what I read that says that whole grain pasta doesn't taste quite as good as regular pasta, then I'm not that eager to try it.

18. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer whole grain pasta because I always get this version and it is just very tasty in how it turns out.
    I love mixing it with cheese and tomato suave and when I get regular pasta my taste buds actually taste a little difference so I rather get the whole grain version each time. I am sure that it is healthier 10 times more as it is said to be.

19. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Both are just as bad as each other from a nutritional point of view. Wheat is one of the worst foods you can eat, it should be avoided if you are health-conscious.

I do miss eating pasta because it's a good vehicle but my healthy is the priority and I haven't eaten it for years now.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Whole wheat pasta is a lot better now than it was back then. Nowadays you couldn't really even tell the difference anymore, especially once the pasta has some sauce on it. The thing I like most about eating this is that I can eat more of it, since it isn't as packed with sugars as regular pasta. Both are nice, and as long as they are eaten in moderation, we can continue enjoying both kinds for a long time. :)