Wholefoods Over Charing Apology

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Penny • Jul 2, 2015.

1. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    So Wholefoods was caught rampantly and systematically overcharging on a sample of over 100 items sold by weights. This is there idea of an apology:

A bit pathetic if you ask me. Such a widespread bias towards reporting weights too high is not just a complete accident. To even begin to believe their apology I would expect them to investigate and locate the reason why almost all errors in weighting were in the direction of reporting (and charging for) extra weight over what was really there.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think its wholly unacceptable and the phrase sometimes it was in the favor of the consumer is in poor taste. The law is that is the minimum weight it should be as stated and sold, if it is over it meets the minimum standard.

My dad always weighs things and the same prepacked items like mushrooms can vary in weight considerably. As long as there is a minimum the store isn't breaking the law, otherwise they shouldn't advertise price per gram or weights on the packs.

3. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    And "sometimes" was like 1 time in 20. That's the thing, they have been found to be systematically over-estimating weights in a way that cannot plausibly be accidental by a neutral assessor, and WholeFoods UK was found to be doing the same thing last year.

And let's face it, they are pricey enough without that kind of funny business on top of it.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I stopped going there a while back, but this isn't good for their image at all. You can usually tell if you take the time to see the difference in packs, but it doesn't surprise me. These days they have to compete with Farmer's markets and other supermarkets are cutting their prices so WholeFoods is out pricing itself too.

I think the apology is less than genuine and surely the workers packing have scales and knew what they were doing. I think they though the typical shopper (well off) wouldn't notice.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, they're shady. I've never shopped there, but wouldn't anyway, because they lie to their customers and always have. They've always lied about their foods.. I was worried they'd make someone sick some day. They are dishonest in general, but people are so consumed by "natural"and "organic" without even looking into their food.. I guess you get what you give. If you don't look into your food, expect disappointment along the way. I'm not surprised by this new issue with them. Good luck winning everyone's trust back.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oh ouch. I hadn't heard anything about this.

I think it's ridiculous that they were doing this so regularly. I already find their prices to be a bit high compared to other places as it is, but to see them intentionally cheating customers is unfair and unethical.