Why are birds hitting my window?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Plinko • May 12, 2014.

1. Plinko

PlinkoMember

Threads:
    I have a large picture window. I usually don't have the light on, I prefer to let the sun light up the room. Birds of all sizes crash into this window several times a week. It is rather startling to me, but more importantly, I am sure the birds are giving themselves a headache. This is the only window in The House that they crash into, although there are several throughout the house that are the same size and face the same direction. Is there something I can buy to stop them from crashing into my window?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Set a trap to catch them birds :D

But seriously, there has to be a reason why the birds crash into your window. To fix the problem you need first to identify what causes it. If you don't want to then what you need is some model that looks like the birds natural enemy, hoist it up there and you won't get any more unwanted guests knocking on your window. It's the scare-crow concept only in your case, you'd need to modify it as the circumstances demand.

3. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Birds are not seeing the window, that is why they crash. Maybe you just have it too clean? :D A solution might be a draper or something that makes the window visible to them, if they can see an obstacle is there they will no longer keep hitting it.

4. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    That must be some kind of window!

The window must be reflecting back in a manner where the bids can't even see that it is there. All they see is the sky being reflected back at them and assume it is a clear path for them to go through.

Might be time to put something up on the window.

5. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I have a same problem too! Not just the window at the kitchen but the one we have in our bedroom. It is such a disturbance when I'm trying to put my baby into sleep in the room. It shocks us every time.

I wonder if it's because the sun is too bright and therefore the birds can't see the window. Sometimes I get so worried if the birds had died after crashing then my husband has to keep going to check it every time.

6. HarryBajwa

HarryBajwaNew Member

Threads:
    Only one solution : just change your window.