Why are Most Kids Obese These Days?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Denis Hard • Oct 22, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are parents to blame for that? In a way, yes.

Children come back from school, do their homework and get busy playing their video-games? How would kids who don't go out playing with friends not get fat?

How can parents force their children to be more active?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It isn't the child's fault. What do you do after a long day at work? Or if you get some vacation time, you don't want to relax at all? They spend their entire days behind a desk. All day every day, doing something so unnatural and uninteresting to them (for the most part) and when they get home, they're expected to do more of it in the way of homework. However they choose to unwind for the VERY short time that is there's to control (hopefully) should be given to them. If they don't have other options around the house (parent's responsibility) or if their friends are all playing games too.. what do you expect?

They aren't fat because they're not moving, though that's an issue all on it's own. They're fat because their parents feed them garbage.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's the fault of parents and schools around the country. Kids aren't taught about proper nutrition and physical fitness in school (despite those PE classes), and parents aren't diligent enough about educating their children or providing a healthy environment. You can only blame the children that refuse to learn, and I'd say very few fall into that category. Most parents are making huge mistakes when it comes to the health of their children. Then again, plenty of non-parents do the same things to themselves.

4. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Most parents think its better to see thier kids just playng infront of a screen than going outside and be bullied. Maybe if they just let thier kid have a social life, they'd really enjoy it more than just type on the screen.

its not at all fault by the parents though, these computer games actually are addictive that one would forget about going out just to finish the game and he'll ask for another round once done.

5. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    Remember when our parents used to kick us out of the house to go play until the sun set?

Yeah most parents don't do that anymore.

Whether it's for the lack of authority towards their children, or for unsafe neighborhoods, or allergies or whatever reason, kids don't play outside as much anymore. All the stuff inside (toys, video games, etc) is "enough" to keep them entertained.

Personally I miss the times when going over to a friend's house meant you played house outside or play make-believe, instead of going inside to play their newest video game.

It's not all the parents' fault either. Schools should have physical education be a mandatory class on TOP of doing a sport after school. That, on top of health class that emphasizes eating smart and healthy (verses binge eating or not eating at all to lose weight) is super important.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think there are many reasons why kids are bigger and fatter. There is a lot of hidden sugar and sugar like substances in food. It's everywhere. I didn't realize how much until I started reading labels. The preservatives and other chemicals in food are probably adding to the problem. Many parents have rushed schedules so end up buying fast food for dinner instead of cooking. Kids don't go out a play as much. Video games and TV have replaced activity. Many school have reduced physical ed and after school athletic activities because of budget cuts. All these things are contributing to our kids being fatter than earlier generations.

7. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I think if a kid is not active it is the fault of the parents. Partially for not getting them involved in activities, partially for feeding them a poor diet, and partially for (likely) not being active themselves. Kids are not going to want to be active if they don't see their parents practicing the same habit.

8. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I really think it has to do with the fact that most kids don't walk around anymore. They inside all day on their gadgets and we feed them horrible food. They don't eat real food. They eat processed food and are not active. It's not rocket science. They consume too many calories and do not working them off.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really think that obesity in children can solely be put down to a lack of activity. The kind of junk that kids eat today, and that they often get fed by their parents from an early age on, is largely responsible for their fatness and ill health. I can't believe what some parents do to their children "in the name of love". They damage them for a life time, not just with the rubbish that they make them eat, but also by introducing abnormal eating patterns and binge eating.

10. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    The generation has its influence on the obesity of kids. Genetics have its influence on the obesity of kids. Laziness has its influence on the obesity of kids. Lack of parenting also has its influence on the obesity of kids. All of these contributing factors along with easily accessible fast food chains, junk food in general, video games, smartphones, computers, and TV just make the situation far worse. It's important that parents put their foot down and try to have their child eat more nutritiously, get more exercise, and have them cut down on idle activities.

11. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that most children are obese these days because most of the kinds of food sold today are "instant". Some parents do not spend enough time to prepare healthy food for their children. They are too busy earning for the family.

12. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm obese now, and I've been considered obese ever since I was about 17, but as a kid I was over weight. I don't think it was so much for not being active, I played outside and did all kinds of activities.

I love my parents so it might sound very ungrateful to say this but I think it was because they used to feed us junk food as some sort of reward or special thing. Ice cream and cake equals birthday, McDonalds equals Sunday family dinner, hot dogs and hamburgers equals summer day at the pool or beach...

What happened with me was that I had a normal weight up to about age 5 then became a little overweight. Then all of the sudden my mom tried to remove all junk food from my life. But it was too late, because I already associated it with other positive activities. I sometimes felt like I was being punished, for example when all my friends where having pizza for lunch or when all my relatives where having hot dogs at the beach and I wasn't allowed too. Even my brother and parent's weren't on the diet, just me, and my brother was allowed sweets and they would keep them in his room so I couldn't eat them. My mind couldn't understand why I was the only one who was fat when everyone ate the same things, I assumed there was something wrong with me for being fat when the other kids weren't, specially my little brother. We grew up together, playing together and eating the same but he wasn't fat. One time I overheard my parents say they couldn't punish my brother (in reference to eating sweets) because he was thin and healthy, which made me feel so bad because why was I being punished for something that I had no control over (my weight).

By the time I was 18 and could decide for myself I've already done all kinds of diets, Jenny Craig, shakes that replace meals, acupuncture, potato diet, grapefruit diet, Atkins... My weight would be up and down each month as I tried new diets that worked for a while then I gained it all back once the diet was over. Now I try really hard to eat healthy foods as part of my lifestyle and not a diet. My mom still tries to get me to take diet supplements and sign up for diet programs but I refuse. I don't want to lose weight if it's not in a healthy way.

I think my mom has good intentions, but I don't think she realized how it affected me psychologically to grow up as a fat kid on a diet. It would have been better if our entire family ate healthy all the time. So my advice to parents would be to lead by example and make healthy food just a normal part of your family's lifestyle instead of a diet.

13. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    Parents need to lead a healthy lifestyle for their kids to follow. If you kid sees you munching on twinkies at 2am, he is going to think he can do it also. I say do more family involved activities with kids. Go hiking or camping to get them use to being outside instead of playing video games and watching television all day long.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The kids are bused to school instead of walking, some are even bused to the bus stop. They get no excerise at school or at home and the food that is feed to them is junk. I see kids eating fast food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Some kids do not get fruit or vegetables daily just sugar in the cereal they eat. I cook for my grand kids and try to give them healthy meals when I am with them.

15. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I hate to break it to you but poor diets and lack of exercises aren't the sole cause of obese in many children. Disorders and medications play a factor to for alot of children. My daughter eats a well rounded supper each evening with lunch and breakfast served at school during the week. During the weekends, we try having simple yet healthy meals. She has ADHD. The medicine this child takes has made her gain weight. Its actually a side effect. Its the only low dose medicine that's helped her ADHD yet causes the gain. My son could eat and eat and not see a pound.

16. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Overfeeding is the primary reason why, coupled with the fact that kids don't exercise, where I live, all school's have Physical Education class, which is not complied with light sports, we swim, we run, we play baseball and all that stuff, also, the children so not eat very heavily. Another reason could just be family genes, some parents are naturally just fat and so that's passed on to children, or, some parents just don't care enough or don't know what to do to keep their child/children fit and healthy.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Kids learn by example, so if the parents are active then chances are the kids would want to do the same and join in the activity as a family. The problem is that most parents just enroll the kids in special classes hoping for a miracle that it would stick but they themselves don't know or can't show the merits of staying active so eventually the kids lose steam and go back to their old ways.

18. stagsonline

stagsonlineNew Member

Threads:
    Two reasons: Unhealthy eating habits and lack of exercise. Parents have become too busy with their own lives and have very little time to monitor what exactly their kids are eating and how they spend their free time. I think the best thing that parents should do is be good examples to their own kids. It all starts with you. Decide that it's a time to change as a family. Engage your kids in simple workout sessions at home and let them know that new healthy-eating is being introduced to keep the whole family fit. Once your kid sees your committment, he or she is definitely going to take part with no complaints. Sitting back and telling your kids to do this or that doesn't help much. Let's be part of the change.

19. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    The very reason I think kids are obese these days is that they are given very improper diet mostly because of the lack of control of parents upon the children. The parents must know what their children is eating and how they are maintaining their health. I believe it is important to take care of kids health at the right time.

20. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's weird how this thread is here in the Health and Beauty section. But come to think of it, obesity's a health issue. So maybe I'm the only one who randomly thinks of beauty. Anyhow, to answer your questions, are you talking about kids all over the world or the kids in your neighborhood there in America or wherever you're currently located right now? Obesity is obviously caused by excessive food intake to the point of growing well beyond one's supposed ideal body weight. That kids could balloon to such a size only means a lot of parents have not been careful of their children's health. To avoid child obesity, parents should serve food fit for their children's age and measure the servings accordingly. They should also invest in supplements and vitamins to keep their children in great health.