Why are Most Kids Obese These Days?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Denis Hard • Oct 22, 2014.

1. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    It's not the child's fault because they are obese, it's the parents fault. The parents has the decisions whether or not the child eats healthy or eats fatty foods. Also, parents should have their child doing more outdoor activities instead of sitting infront of a TV, video game, or phone all day after they come from school or on weekends.

2. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly and truthfully I believe that child obesity is totally the fault of the parent ( with the exception of any child with a medical condition that causes it.) Parents today often use food as a pacifer... something to entertain their kids -- and when these children are already suffering because they get little to no regular exercise how can we as a society expect them not to suffer from obesity and other related health issues?

3. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Most children in my country are not obese. This is because children play a lot of football (soccer?) and they walk to school. They walk everywhere. A lot of children here also carry water by hand for a mile or more. So, it's like they are lifting weights. Most children here also eat more natural food and not fast food, as that is something rare here. I assume that a lot of obesity is caused by sedentary lifestyles and not eating a proper diet.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well said! Also, they need to stop giving into the child's demands for junk. We have similar problems with childhood obesity here in the UK and it's always the fat kids who you see in the town centre eating Greggs at 10am.

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I know there are other reasons as well, but I really think most of it has to do with the fact that not only kids but people in general don't seem to move around as much or play as hard as they used to. Of equal importance in the equation is probably the prevalence of fast foods and other overly processed junk in the average American diet today.
    I think it's not so much the type of foods, as in a hamburger, fries and a drink, as it is in what is added to the foods today that makes people balloon out of control. I think also that the fast and otherwise processed foods are not only full of additives that make people tend towards weight gain but are also full of things that are addictive.
    And then there's the whole soft drink thing. Soft drinks used to be a treat and no one expected to drink them all day every day as so many people do now.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    That is one of the cons of modern technology. Instead of going outside to play with their friends and neighbors, children nowadays would just tend to waste their time on the internet and video games. Parents should really encourage their kids to be more active in sports and other activities; there should be a balance between the virtual world and the real world.