Why Are Some Items Only Available Through Television Ads?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by explorerx7 • Sep 10, 2017.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have seen it happen repeatedly where some items may only be bought through television advertiements and I have always been wondering why it has been that way. I have seen where many of these items have not satisfied the expectations of the purchasers. I am thinking that the sellers could be using the Tv only situation to easily pass off lower standard goods to consumers and in many instances, people have complained of difficulties with the returning of these goods. I may be wrong about this and there could be other reasonable reasons for this type of activity. What is your take on this matter?

2. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I have not come across such a product, but I believe there are several reasons that the businesses in question would choose TV. Number one, is the audience that one is likely to reach through television networks. By now, I believe at least 7 of every 10 people have a television, which means that the product is likely to receive attention from very many people.

Televisions also provide advertisements in many forms such as motion pictures, images and sounds. This, assisted by the human involvement in the adverts, is likely to be more appealing to a target market. Furthermore, improved technology, has enabled advertisers to create better presentations. These, coupled with some other factors, I believe are the reasons that the companies in question have chosen to advertise through TVs alone.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Basically it cuts out the cost of stores, staffing, and the overheads. I don't think they are always inferior, but you should check out the website and also reviews first. Many companies don't have stores now because rental costs are high and people prefer to buy online. By using the television it allows them to advertise and reach a large target audience. I think you do need to compare prices though, and also factor in any extras such as postage costs and also the refund policy if anything goes wrong.

4. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I have always wondered about this as well, but based on what the others have stated, it seems like the companies benefit a lot from not paying storage and payments

5. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    As for me, some products are available only upon order on some TV ads home shopping and network because of the piracy issue. Since most products are now easily pirated and maybe also because some people now enjoy shopping at home and online. For one, this is ideal because the consumer will be guaranteed that what they are buying is 100% original and with factory discounted price too.

6. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I have noticed that some products are only available through TV ads.I think they are selling products through TV ads in order to cut cost in marketers and sales person as well as rent of the store front. Since these products are directly selling from godwon, they save a lot of money on rent and in house staff.

7. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the products being sold through television spots are products with innovative features that you'll hardly see in conventional brands. I think that a television show is the best way to call the attention of consumers and to highlight the features of their products. Instead of renting out store space and paying for television ads anyway, the companies are pouring out their funds for a block time on television to fully explain how their products work. I don't think that their marketing strategy indicates that they're offering low quality products or are attempting to evade responsibilities for warranty. In fact, I've seen their products in some reputable stores with international affiliations in my country. Some Ace Hardware branches here carry some of the 'As Seen on TV' products.

8. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    Saying that the products being advertised on the TV are of substandard quality can be quite erroneous for I've got high quality products that were advertised via the TV medium alone and got satisfied. This is simply a case of hasty generalization as a result of buying some products that didn't serve you well.

9. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm elated to see you share some of the views that I'm trying to explain. One thing about such products is that they might be of high quality, but the consumers that didn't listen to see the proper way of using them might, at the end, complain of getting lower quality products.

10. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, I see nothing wrong with television advertisement. In fact, it cost more to carry out any form of product or any item advert using the television as the medium for the advert.

I happen to read mass communication and I'm well aware of how placing of advert works. From all observation, television ads are simply the best for me, I tend to take adverts carried out on it more serious than any other medium.

11. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I would say it is so they won't have to spend money, bringing their items to the more open market. It is a very good money saving strategy but can seem sketchy to some. It could be that the products simply are too expensive to make in a large supply to the point where they are available to stores.

12. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think some of the items can be made exclusive. And then promotions make it exclusive. Like say some perfume being promoted through only one specific channel. And this gives some leads for the items. And this means the television ads are perfect for this type of the stuff. I am not sure how many people are making use of the television ads like this way. It seems like lot better in many ways though.

13. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is the scheme of home shopping tv that their products are not in the ordinary market. Being exclusively to them that is a business strategy that helps them to sell. However, the disadvantage of home shopping tv products is the lack of testing. And since you can only see on tv and couldn't even handle the product for scrutiny, you take a big risk.

14. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    I can't of any at the moment, but i'm certain i have come across one sometimes this year and it wasn't worth it to me at least.

15. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the items that I have seen on tv shopping stores can't be seen in regular stores, especially the hardware and home products, so it adds to the appeal of those products, since it makes them look "exclusive" and it can only be bought on tv. Having bought a few items being sold on tv, I can say that they are of good quality, so I don't understand why you would say that they are of poor quality.