Why Buy Almond Milk When You Can Make It Yourself?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • May 10, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Almond milk is cholesterol free, lactose free and for those who have insomnia a glass of almond milk before you go to sleep can help you get some sleep. The almond milk you buy however though it's expensive may contain only 2% almonds.

That's why making almond milk yourself will not only be cheaper but also healthier.

If you are interested you can take a look at this article:

Sounds easy.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    It is easy - and as someone who started making their own almond milk long before it even became a commercial product and still does - not only can I verify that its quick and easy to make - but that yes- its very much cheaper and very definitely way, way healthier and tastier than anything that can be bought in the stores.

In fact bearing in mind that when buying it from a store - you are generally paying a high price for something promoted as a health product - that doesn't quite fit that description - especially as the majority of commercially made almond milks - apart from being loaded with artificial additives and preservatives - don't actually contain real almond milk - but a substitute that lacks any form of nutrients - this alone is a very good reason to make your own.

But hey - apart from being way more economical and a guaranteed 100% pure almond milk - loaded with nutrients and free of additives being very good reason to make your own - there are many, many other benefits too - as not only can you adjust the flavor to your liking or for the purpose you want to use it for - but more importantly the thickness - as by halving the amount of water - you can make cream - which is ideal for using as a creamer in coffee, pies, as a topping for desserts or in fact as a substitute for anything that requires a cream.

Nothing ever goes to waste either - as there are load of delicious uses for leftover almond pulp - especially as

it can be used raw - either fresh or frozen - for making cookies, breads, crackers, pie crusts, dips and spreads - its also a great addition to smoothies, ice cream, yoghurt or savory/sweet mousses and more
    or
    it can be dehydrated or toasted in the oven and turned into flour or crumbs for baking or using as toppings or pie fillings

I would however just add - that as the creaminess and quality of the milk is very dependent on how you strain it - meaning how many times you have to do it - although cheesecloth, traditional mesh strainers or even pantyhose can be used - the best, less messy and creamiest results are very definitely obtained from using a proper muslin or cotton mesh nut milk bag - simply because - you generally only have to do it once if using the latter.

3. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    That's a good question, especially since most commercial brands of almond milk, even the alleged organic ones, contain more water than almond milk. And also they are very expensive to buy. I usually get organic almonds with their skin and blanch them. (Put them in hot water to remove the skin.) Then I put them in the blender with steamed pears or apples and a bit of water. I like my almond milk to be quite thick in consistency. I then add cinnamon and sometimes powdered stevia.

4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never tried making my own almond milk; but I have used almost the same process to make coconut milk, and I really enjoyed that. The worst part about that is getting the coconut out of the shell, and cut up into small pieces.
    I usually make mine with the blender, and if I am using it in a smoothie, I don't bother to strain it, although I uually do if i am just using it like regular milk.

I have tried the store-bought coconut milk, and besides being expensive, it tasted very watery to me, so I am guessing that is how the almond milk would be as well.
    Maybe I will try making the almond milk, since you don't have to shell the almonds first if you buy them already shelled.
    It definitely sounds better and healthier than buying it at the grocery store.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You lucky people who have a blender and processor can make your own milk! I don't have either, so I have to buy my milk. I like unsweetened soy milk best for milk. I love sales on milk and we prefer unsweetened soy milk in our home.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do y'all buy almonds in bulk online, or is there somewhere nearby where you can purchase them? The cost of nuts at the grocery stores is too high for me, so it's prohibitive. I do like the idea of making my own, because I've read up on the almond milk sold in the stores, and know that it's not healthy. Unfortunately, since that's what a lot of people are used to, they would have to adjust their expectations for homemade, although I'm sure the homemade is delicious. I like the idea of making my own homemade coconut milk, as well, but my current blender wouldn't be able to handle this task, and I haven't yet replaced my food processor.

7. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Cheaper? Easier?

This is one of those "Your Mileage May Vary" subjects. I realize there might not be 100% almond milk in my Silk, but when I find it on sale with a coupon, I'm often paying as low as $0.50 a half gallon. There is no amount of grinding and sifting through a milk cloth that is going to make this NOT WORTH it to me.

And almonds are expensive. The drought in California over the past 3 years has basically sealed the price of almonds pretty high for the time being.

I'm all for DIY when it really is a time and money saver, but this is one I can't support. Just can't.

Now, if you just want to be a foodie who says you do it yourself because you think it is better, that's more realistic.

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really drink or use enough almond milk to make it worthwhile to make my own. I pretty much drink skim milk. I will only buy almond milk if there is a recipe that calls for it or something. It is good with oatmeal too. I am not wild about the flavor though, and think it tends to be a bit watery.

9. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    Great alternative for those who cannot afford to buy enough almond milk to make a real difference in their diet. I always try to prepare things myself, even peanut butter it's better to prepare it yourself and also cheaper, this way I end up spending less money on more final product, the only difference is that I also have to invest some more time. However, I definitely recommend trying this almond milk product as I have been doing similar for the past year and I really love it.

10. forest_kitten

forest_kittenNew Member

Threads:
    I've tried making my own almond milk once. I wasn't a huge fan of the end result, so I ended up sticking with the Silk brand milk I usually get. But! I did make a delicious snack discovery along the way.

So one of the first steps of making almond milk (in the recipe I had used) is soaking raw almonds in water for a few hours to let them soak up as much water as possible and become juice. Once they are sufficiently soaked, the skin slips right off and what you get is a delicious, juicy almond. Even though I never made almond milk again, I often soak almonds before eating them for a fantastic snack. It also makes it much easier to peel and cut the almonds for salads or baked goods as well.