Why Buy Ebooks When Your Library Has Them Free?!

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Haarlie1011 • Jun 12, 2015.

1. Haarlie1011

Haarlie1011New Member

Threads:
    For those of us who live in large metropolitan areas our libraries are doing their best to keep up with the times. I live in DFW so every library in this area is set up with some time of ebook lending. My library uses an online service for ebooks called overdrive (if you read ebooks you have probably heard of it). With my library card I can download literally thousands of free ebooks, Audiobooks, even videos! FREE!! I downloaded the overdrive app, looked for my library and entered my card information and it's done! They get new books in all the time, there are so many to choose from that I never run out of things to read. The only downside is there has been a book or series once or twice that I wanted to read and they didn't have it, or have the entire series. But it has occurred so rarely that it's not a big deal. So drag out your library card and get to reading!

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    You are absolutely right. I have two library systems and both are pretty up-to-date when it comes to print and e-titles. However, as an avid book reader, there is something about having a book in your possession. If there were no such thing as a library, I would be drowning in books. I still need to work harder on having a happy medium.

3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    That is definitely such a great perk. But sadly, we don't have those kinds of privileges here in my country.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I don’t know if our library offers this service but I do love the idea. I must admit though, it probably wouldn’t convince me to give up my paper books. I still love going and borrowing books when I can, but this would be a great alternative if I didn’t feel like using the gas.

5. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    I keep meaning to get myself over to my library to get a library card, partially to get access to the ebook and audiobook selection. (It's literally been on my to-do list for about two years!) I'm not in a huge city, but my library has a great selection of digital materials that you don't even need to physically go to the library to access.

Have you tried asking them to add it? Most libraries have a budget for new purchases, and they will likely spend at least some of that money on patron requests. If they know someone (even just one person) is interested in a particular book, they are much more likely to buy it.

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I totally agree! I am borrowing the new Kristen Wiig movie on my library right now and I am downloading an ebook on cooking for two. All of this right from my home. Now I don't have to spend gas to go to my video store and the library! Yes! I love my library card!

7. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    That's so awesome that you can do that! I have a pretty old library, so they wouldn't have anything like that. Right now I've been going to the library for books that I want. It's so much easier. Half the time the books that I read aren't good enough to spend $20 on. It's free to go to the library and get their books, so why not go? I actually go my boyfriend into doing this too, because it's just so much cheaper. And why spend $20 on a book that you will read once?

8. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    What you are saying makes complete sense if you just like to read anything, but if there is a specific book that you want, even the most modern library may not have it for loan or have enough copies to go around. I've been on the waiting list for many a book and then, you have to read it immediately or you waste the time allotted to you, so there is still a need to buy ebooks from time to time.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same here. The library in our small town is yet to go "high tech." If only they had the option of borrowing Ebooks . . . maybe I'd be visiting the library more often.

But then I never buy Ebooks so much as our library hasn't been "modernized" at all I don't miss out on much. I read only free Ebooks which can be downloaded free on guternberg, manybooks, feedbooks, etc.

10. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it stinks because I would love to have something in my library like that. I like being able to get books free from the library, but they don't have a good selection. Most of the books that they get now aren't ones that I would read. It's a shame, maybe somewhere else where I live has a better one.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Libraries all over ought to be upgraded. Including the option to "borrow" or download free Ebooks would be great for all readers [or is patrons?] because they'd be a greater variety of books for them to choose from and isn't that what would keep these people going back the libraries?

12. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Sure, many libraries have tons of eBooks -- and others have just some titles. A shame is that many libraries don't actually list the ebooks automatically when you do a simple book search.

But I'd expect that, on top of this, people are just more at ease choosing what they want from the comfort of their home rather than pre-selecting books, then going to the library during opening hours and borrowing there. I know I don't because I live in a village, with a limited library, in Germany too -- so I'm better off at home.

13. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    We also have a nearby library, and I only go there sometimes. I do love reading actual books, so I still try my best to go to libraries or scour thrift stores/garage sales for cheap books. However, for convenience, I read ebooks. For instance, when I am travelling or commuting to work, reading an ebook on my device is more convenient than carrying an actual book. Otherwise, when I want some peace and quiet, I just go to our local library.

14. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Oh I forgot about the library!
    I just moved back to my hometown, I used to go to the public library weekly.
    Def going back this week and getting my card activated and my account back.
    Thanks for the reminder!

15. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I really wish we have such library nearby so I can bring my kids to the library often, not only borrowing the physical books, but also the eBooks and audio books. I have always read from other blogs, especially from homeschooling moms, that they can always take advantage of the library and save lots of money to buy books. I don't think we need to buy many books if we can borrow them from the library. It's sad to say, I haven't find a library that provides such features and has books that I would like my kids to read.