Why Buy This Type Of Bean In Packs-of-four-cans?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by mythman • Jun 27, 2015.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Shopping at Wal-Mart, I notice that the only four-packs their canned-beans-section has is Black Beans (no Pinto Beans-, Navy Beans- or Black-Eyed Peas-four-packs).

Maybe there are common black-bean dishes that call for mass-quantities of the legume. I don't know. I am usually only buying for myself, but I like to buy in bulk. Does Wal-Mart's "Great Value"-brand have a bumper-crop of the black variety? ("bumper-crop": that is the word for 'an extra-abundant harvest,' yes?

:cool:)

2. sbatz72

sbatz72Member

Threads:
    Wow, of all the beans mentioned I do not mind black beans any more than I mind pinto beans. I would not mind buying black beans in a bulk pack of 4. I do not think the other beans seem to sound good.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Perhaps because people are buying them in larger amounts to make black bean dip or black bean soup, or even large batches of chili. It could also be because black beans are seemingly popular among vegetarians and vegans, to help them get proper proteins. I think black beans along with rice form a complete protein.

I personally love black beans, and tend to buy at least 2-3 cans at a time, so something like this would be very convenient for me - especially since they are all shrink wrapped together, and not rolling around in my shopping bags as I'm driving home.

Incidentally, if you like canned black beans, check out Dollar General's Clover Valley brand black beans. Lately they have been really really good for some reason. None of the beans are busted open and mushy, and they are a deep rich black, as if you had cooked them at home from scratch. Normally I don't care for Dollar General's own brands of food items, but their black beans are a rare exception.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can tolerate every bean other than black beans, so I never noticed it. It's not that I don't like the taste, they just aggravate my digestive disorders, so I never buy or eat them. Perhaps they're cheaper than other beans? I've noticed many restaurants seem to be shifting from refried beans to black beans, so I figured it was because somehow they were saving money. Or, perhaps the demographics are changing, and the people shopping there (and eating at the restaurants I've been to) prefer black beans over pintos or kidney beans?