Why can't people just keep cows as pets?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Evelyn Freshsmith • Oct 10, 2014.

1. Evelyn Freshsmith

Evelyn FreshsmithMember

Threads:
    Instead of eating animals keep them as pets. Just sayin'!:cool:

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I can't say I have the room in my house for a cow, nor would I particularly enjoy pooper scooping after one, but I agree with what you're getting at lol. An animal is an animal is an animal and we're animals too. Every living thing deserves to just keep breathing. They deserve to live in health, free from an entire lifetime of torture and disease and despair. And this is what people are eating! It's a horrible existence they live.. it's not even living. If we would hunt a man down for abusing a pet cat, but turn a blind eye to what a cow goes through on a daily basis... well, it's disturbing.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even farmers keep cows specifically for milk and meat have one or two special ones which they consider their pets. The reason, I believe most people won't keep cows as pets is because you can't be too attached to your food. Most people like beef. So how would they get their beef if they like cows and actually keep them as pets?

Another thing is, cows would need a lot of food. To save money you'd need a huge tract of land for the cow to graze in. Those who don't own such huge pieces of land can't afford to keep cows as pets.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I support animal welfare, but I cannot keep a cow as a pet. Sadly, there are certain vitamins that we can only get from meat. As much as we hate killing animals for food, it is inevitable.

5. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    1) We're omnivores, we're born to eat both meat and vegetables.
    2) Production costs for farmland are high
    3) Someone I know made an extended joke about keeping cows as pets yesterday and this is some weird deja vu

6. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Why can't they do both?
    Just love that cow to death... Literally.
    And then let it sizzle, become succulent and juicy, put some veggies on the side and open a nice bottle of wine.

"Let us make a toast to Wenda. She was a good cow. And now she's a superb steak."

7. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Well... I did have a cow as a pet. I grew up on a farm. We raised cows and breed them. We would sell the cattle often to other farmers. One of the perks of owning cows is that there's a tax deduction applied if you own them! Of course I didn't know this as a child, but my parents mentioned it later when I understood what it meant. So yes, people do keep cows as pets- they aren't always kept to be eaten. :)

8. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Friends of mine keep steers for meat. They live pretty happy lives out there in the field until it is time to call the butcher. I don't think many people would want a cow as a pet. They are too large for one thing and they attract a lot of flies. That has nothing to do with the health of the animal by the way, all cows have flies, that's just a fact. Cattle can be hard to deal with too because of their size. You need adequate space for them to move around and graze or they won't be happy and healthy. I'm not going to argue with you if you want to be a vegetarian, that's just not a choice most people want to make.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nice one! I wholeheartedly agree. I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years now, and would love to have some pet cows around me. The only problem right now is that I live in a city. But that will change again in a few months when I am moving back to the country again. I have had pet chickens and ducks in the past. Since I don't eat eggs, I used to give them away to my neighbours and also sold them at the farmer's market.
    There were times, not even that long ago, when humans regarded animals as equals. They even knew how to communicate with them. What has happened to humanity?

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Is you only point the eating of the cows?
    That's totally their fault though, they shouldn't have been as delicious as they are, there's even a steak sauce! There's no such thing as chicken sauce or pork sauce, that's how delicious cows are :)
    Seriously though, I think we don't keep them as pets because they are probably extremely messing to keep in a house, it would be a lot of picking up to do.

11. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    Because I don't live on a farm and I have no room in my house for a cow. Also there is nothing better than a fillet of sizzling medium rare juicy and succulent aberdeen angus peppered steak. The perfect accompaniment to home cooked chips with a drizzling or lashings of peppercorn sauce. To good even if I could accommodate a cow I can't pass up a steak.

12. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I kicked my cow out last week, because she only gave my sour milk that didn't support me in my finances.

Now, in regards to a pet cow, I would love to have a one, but it takes a lot to nurture and secure such an animal, especially if you do not have more than 1 acre of land for such a creature to graze and roam on. Also, I like my beef, whether I go out and kill it with my family and friends, or buy it from a store or eating place - vegans are totally missing out!

13. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Most people at least in the US do not have the amount of land necessary to keep a cow as a pet, nor the money necessary to keep the animal healthy and happy. If eating meat were outlawed in the US I'm sure many species of animals would become extinct or endangered. I don't want to become a vegetarian and don't see such a thing happening in my future, sorry.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    lol.. That's sort of an uncool thing to say considering most vegans chose to be vegans because of the violence involved in eating meat. The lifetime of torture these animals go through to end up a few minutes of satisfaction for the tastebuds of a fat, unhealthy society is revolting. But nobody has to watch that, so it makes things easier to turn a blind eye (unless you watch all the videos on Youtube, which I suggest everyone does, just to be aware). So maybe we could in turn, say that meat eaters are missing out on having hearts.. or empathy.. but I wouldn't say that, because live and let live (another reason for vegan lol). We're not missing out at all. Most know what they're missing as they used to eat meat until they found out what they were really eating. I have no qualms with eating what you kill.. at this point, I think it's the only way people should be eating it. But to support an industry of torture, disease, filth and sadness.. it's the cruelest of all industries.. that's the worst. I'm not sure how anyone is missing out when they don't contribute to that. It actually feels pretty awesome.

#14Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  15. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    Agreed! I would personally love to have a pet cow. I think they're pretty cute, and I'd have free fresh milk all the time! Unfortunately I can't take care of one, because my house would not be a suitable living condition for a cow. It would probably be really sad because it can't graze.

Plus I'm a bit scared of keeping livestock as pets. When I was young we had chickens, and I befriended one. Then she was just gone. Took me a long time, but eventually I realized there was a good chance of me eating my friend chicken.