Why Didn't Feminism Bring the Working Wife to Replace the Working Husband?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by mythman • Jun 25, 2014.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I want to be a house-husband to a (female) working-wife. (Shame that I had to specify 'female' :() Could be I just don't know the right places for an unemployed single to hang out to find a 'responsible woman.' But I'm thinking of the feminists who DEMAND equal pay, despite the fact that the "jobs" where they do "equal work" aren't the only things that the men are getting paid for---they're ALSO getting paid for the time they have to spend away-from the families they provide-for, and -paid for the decision to tear themselves away every morning.

While the women ... I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing they make no such sacrifice. Maybe they SHOULD. "Mr. Mom" shouldn't be a 'strange' thing!

If more women took the responsibility of a sole provider, their wages would go up (or the prices would go down to meet demand.)

2. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    Is it really that women are paid less because they are female? Or is it that they are paid less because they do less physical work?

Guys are paid based on the type of job they do. I dont see women working on building roofs in the hot sin, middle of July. (example).

Yet, they feel they should be paid equal to men. If a girl is doing difficult work, she should be. If she is answering phones, then she should be paid less. If a guy was answering phones, he would not make as much as if he does physical labour.

People like to complain. That's the bottom line.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Actually, Jaydon, it's when compared within the same field. So a CEO, for example, will show average discrepancies in income range based on gender. A male CEO is likely to be paid more than a female one.

In general, though, that often tends to be because women make other choices that might affect their career path. For example, they may take off a few years in order to have children and that slows down the path...and therefore, also the rate of raises, etc.

4. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    Fair enough.

One thing that is known is men and women operate with different parts of the brain. (for the most part). Men with the left side, women with the right side. Although, some men and women are backwards with this.

The left brain is more along the lines of CREATION and PROBLEM SOLVING, while the right side generally has better COMMUNICATION skills.

Left brained individuals should be paid more due to what they have to offer. Left brained people are inventive. These people are generally males. Right brained people have better communication skills (generally) and they have their place. But it's easy to see how left brained people would have more to offer.

The left brain creates while the right brain functions in the created space. You really cant have one without the other. Its good to be balanced. But, if you are paying based off of what a person has to offer.. The left brained people should be paid more.

With that said, women can operate with their left brain like a man, but this is generally not the case.

The right side of the brain has more emotions involved in that area. Power and emotions dont always coexist. Emotional minds can become impulsive when faced with difficult decisions.

I realize no right brained person is going to accept anything that has been said here.

I want to finish off by saying - with the low level of health in our society, many men operate with a higher percentage of the right side of their brain then they should. So, there are men being "over-paid" and this is an outrage!

I have a solution. Shoot them! This world is not big enough to have within it so many feminized men. :)

5. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    It's a little of both really. For example, recently there was a report about the pay difference in the White House, where it was found that the female staff were being paid less than the male staff. Of course, this caused outrage. How dare a man get paid more than a woman!?

The problem was...there were less women working in the White House, and in areas which had less pay for all staff than other staff members in other areas. So it wasn't that women were being paid less. It was that women happened to be working in an area which paid everyone working in this area, less than others. So as you say, it's about life choices.

But then studies come out which say that men are paid more full stop. Except then the truth is that they're including jobs where there's a male dominance, which are a lot more dangerous. So they compare say, a male Volcanologist to a female Beautician. Of course one of these is going to get more money. It's common sense.

Also, the issue with the figures relating to CEO's is that all CEO's are paid different money, based upon their company's profit. No studies seem to take this into account however. I mean, would you compare the CEO of Apple's pay to the CEO of say...Haribo? One of them obviously makes more money, because their company makes more money.

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Perhaps more women would like to take the job of sole provider, but have husbands who insist on being the sole provider because they consider the traditional role reversal emasculating? What about the women who go to work every day and leave their families too? Also who is to say that building roofs in the hot summer is more difficult than answering phones in an office? Too many variables involved in this.(For the record I am a partner in a large firm who is happily the sole provider while my fiance finishes up grad school.)

7. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    Well there are some women who are the main income earners in their families. There are some stay at home dads. It's just not as common as the stay at home mom. The feminists seem to think that every woman should earn enough to support their families no matter what type of work they do. This is because feminists don't think women are equal to men. If they believed in equality they would think that men and women should earn the same wage IF they do the same type of work. Feminists believe that they are better than men and that's why they think they should earn the same wages even if they are doing significantly different work.

8. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to being either a house-husband or a house-wife, it's a decision between two people. Who is going to be the sole provider of the family is also a decision between two people. Not the whole world.

When there is a kid involved in the family, a man need to think what exactly is a job of a house-wife / husband before deciding to become one.

Personally, I'm a stay at home mother. I earn money from home though not as much as my husband does. I would love to be working outside and provide for my family. But I tell you what, I have a fear of leaving my husband and my baby girl alone at home. My girl is already crawling and very active. Every time my husband tries to look after her, he would falls asleep so fast that I still need to keep an eye on both of them.

So we communicated and happily decided that until my daughter goes to nursery / school, he will works outside and I work at home. I don't only work, I parent too. I stay around home all day, but I still struggle for enough sleep.

What I'm saying is, a lot of people seems to think that being someone who stays home is an easy life and "make no sacrifice" kind of life :(

9. forextraspecialstuff

Threads:
    A feminist supports feminism. Feminism is defined as "the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men." I don't see anything in there about feminists thinking women are superior to men...in fact it specifically says equality.

10. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Where do we find these women when they're looking for a husband?

I don't think I'm asking about feminists-specifically; more like 'the marriage-landscape left behind by the feminist-movement'---sort of like 'the Freedom & Liberty left behind by the American Revolution.'

11. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have a female friend in TN (Knoxville area) who was a roofing contractor when I first met her (we are both musicians). She made good money and outworked most men. She eventually married a good man who is a carpenter, and quit to raise more children. But the fact is that most women are paid less for the same work.

12. thomas pendrake

Threads:
    It sounds like you want to be a gigolo. Get a good job and find a successful working woman who wants to have children and maintain her career. Then be prepared to be considered less than a man.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It seems like you're asking where you can meet women who are specifically looking for that situation. I don't know. But I do know several men that stay at home with the kids while the wife is the primary breadwinner. Not all of these women share the same personality characteristics. Only one of the women is a type A driven personality. She is a high powered attorney. The husband, who I used to work with, was a computer IT person. She had a baby, but didn't want to stay at home. He was much more nurturing. He missed being away from the kid and was became dissatisfied with his job every day. He eventually quit and worked as a part time freelancer at home. The other two become house husbands because they were either disabled on the job or were laid off from work.

I don't think it's weird that some men want to stay at home to raise the family, but I don't see that as a feminist issue. It's really a lifestyle choice.

14. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I cannot get a good job ... maybe it's my PTSD, or maybe I'm just a pretensious, self-centered, spoiled brat; but I cannot hold a good job. So I'm "considered less than a man" right out of the gate. I want a woman who knows that 'a woman NEEDS "less than a man" so that she can "complete him".'

Are you a feminist? I would probably qualify as a 'male feminist' (like Will Smith or Mel Gibson). And I think being a feminist WOULD be a lifestyle choice for a woman ... is feminism an ANTI-MARRIAGE choice?

'Feminism' being "the wish for female's equality with men," you would think that they'd want house-husbands just like men are expected to HAVE housewives :confused:

15. forextraspecialstuff

Threads:
    Thank you, I think this is the perfect response to this conversation. I appreciate the cynical sarcasm (if that is even such a thing).

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the sarcasm and disdain is because it doesn't sound like Mythman wants to stay home and raise kids. Raising kids and keeping house are hard work.
    It sounds like he just wants to be kept. I actually know a woman who makes most of the money in her household and married a man who now only works 2 days a week. But is the tradeoff worth it?
    She yells at him at lot and barks orders at him. So he's a kept man but the woman who "completed" him tells him what to do, what to wear and who he can be friends with.

If this woman was to move out and take all of her furniture, her husband would have no bed or furniture and be stuck making the house payments with no money because his money comes from her.

Mythman, just be aware that if you become dependent on a career oriented alpha female and she breaks up with you, you can end up homeless and destitute.
    My friend "needs" his wife's money so he gives in to her in every argument and has very little control over his own life. Money is power and my friend's wife has all the power.

17. thomas pendrake

Threads:
    When we first got married my wife started teaching and I started graduate school. after a couple of years we had our 1st child. Because i mostly was a graduate student or trying to run a struggling business, so my wife usually had more income than I. At the point when my science career started looking good she started to freak out because I became self-confident and she could no longer justify feeling as if I were dependent on her. I did not want to dominate, she did. And I didn't appreciate being called a pimp by a Cuban friend of hers.

#17Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  18. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I'm "making ends meet" right now with family-help & a small settlement from the driver's insurance company, and I'm fine with that (except that I'm living in the lowest-rent apartments I could find, don't have a cell-phone, and amm not working with the newest equipment in existence on the Internet & cable-TV). Being 'taken care of' would ideally mean an "upgrade" on most of that stuff, but it won't hurt to go back to the 'making ends meet' if my wife turns tyrannical :cool:

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    True. It's better to make ends meet with dignity than be controlled financially by a partner whether they're male or female.
    I'm a single mom and I was better off financially when I had a partner to share the expense of raising a child with. But my stress levels and mental health are better without him.
    I'll take my lack of a cell phone and frugal life as a single mother over my past years of conflict in a bad relationship.

Sometimes your sanity is worth more than money.

20. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    This is what 'I hate' (though some people love it) about meeting women online: the good ones live SO FAR AWAY :( If you lived nearby, I could offer to babysit (after you got to know me better, of course).

All I can do is hope you move to Oklahoma City soon, before I get swept off my feet by some other independent girl ;)