Why Do Big Corporate Businesses Spend Billions Of Dollars On Advertising?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by EditorsRHumansToo! • Apr 30, 2015.

1. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    TV addicts. Our attention and buying habits are worth billions, don't you think? Our value as potential consumers is worth that much. For example, billion-selling drugs Big Pharmas are pretty persuasive to teens with TV commercials with more than extravagant display of artists' abs and body-perfect. Dancing to the up-beat lyrics of "Nurofen! Nurofen!". Does sex sell these days? On TV?

To save money from buying unnecessary pain-killers, from buying drugs to alleviate side effects of mistaken prescribed drugs-- don't have a TV! If you have one, turn it off. If you can't turn it off, chuck your TV into the garage and plug it there. TV, an iPad games or a Tablet apps games are not the best companion when you're sick in bed, and in pain. Those pop up ads are pretty persistent too.

Books are commercial-free. Sleep is easy with books. And dozing to sleep after a few chapters is easy coming. You save your money from buying those sleeping pills after all.

Marketing products and services generate sales and demand. The more we consume, the greater the production of products we don't even realize we don't need.

2. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    I've always actually wondered about this. If they are quite big and corporate, they wouldn't need to spend a lot of money on advertising. But I think it is to promote their new products, and make people want to buy it either to show off, or for other reasons. I think it does help them a lot in terms of attracting people, I'm not really sure actually, I would wait to hear other comments.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Marketing and advertising are huge industries. It's also called personal preference as to whether people want to see advertising or not.

Some people like them, I like watching ads and it has also funded a career and money for me and many other people. If it didn't exist then there would be less jobs and more unemployment. There would be no work for graphic designers, less office space rented, television programs could not be made (sponsored) and actors and journalists wouldn't have work and magazine and television channels would go bankrupt.

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Ditto on Theo's post. Advertising is purely an 'air' of competitiveness for the business sector, for profit or not, for public or private. I find it very entertaining myself as well as informative.

How would the public know what is available? Advertising helps us with that.

Certainly there was a time when the scale of advertising was just a sign posted in a window and still today some businesses do that but for the most part technology (television) has opened the doors wide as a method that reaches millions through advertising across the globe.

5. zenfive

zenfiveMember

Threads:
    Often these big corporations still face a lot of competition within their industry, and they have to do everything they can to get even a little bit ahead of their competitors. These little advantages can mean huge gains in terms of their stock prices and value for shareholders.

These companies use advertising to not only show off their new products, but about engraining their brand into our mind. This is beneficial to them because, for example, you like a Coca Cola ad because of a song, particular imagery or whatever it may be, and so the next time you enter a shop you might be more likely to buy a Coke rather than Pepsi or something else. It's often directed to affect us subconsciously.

6. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I was with you until you started talking about getting rid of your TV, lol. I really like TV. I like movies, certain soap operas, documentaries, telenovelas.

Yes, ads entice us to buy certain things, but everybody has to make a living and have a job, so that's what people in the ad business do. Can't begrudge them for that. I don't necessarily like all the ads that come on TV, but advertising dollars are needed to make certain shows. Some ads are okay and are photographed beautifully, some of them just get on my nerves. Most of the time I turn my TV on mute when the commercials come on.

One has to exercise discipline and not buy everything that they see on TV ads. Most of us don't have that kind of money anyway, but if we do get carried away with buying things that we don't need, we have to be adults about it and scale things back.

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Advertising is an unavoidable imperative since its roles are multifaceted. Adverts are used to inform, persuade as well as a reminder. Its a make or break aspect of business and sometimes the effect of advertisements depend on how they have been crafted and presented.

8. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Most of these products never do anything that is shown in advertisements. The aim of corporates is only to make more and more profit and for that they have to sell maximum volume of their products. Things turn worse due to stiff competition. So they are ready to play any games to increase sales. That is why they pay celebrities to show their face on these advertisements. Celebrities seem to be trustworthy for common people and they end up buying those products.

But the fact is that no company can survive without marketing in today’s world. They also take it as an opportunity to inform public about their new product launches. So advertisement is the part and parcel of any business nowadays.

9. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Big Businesses won't just invest in something that cost them Billions if they won't earn Billions or Trillions. I'm pretty sure that these companies studied their market very well and they've payed large advertising companies to make them a winning add. In business, you should invest always with a Win-Win mindset.

10. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    It's just for the sake of advertising at the end of day. Have you ever seen that one ad that you'd watch over and over every time it came on? That is the effect of a well designed ad. It generates buzz which eventually spreads and makes the item being advertised more likely to be sold/used.

11. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    Advertising is a part of marketing. If you don’t advertise your products, the prospective buyers won’t know about your products and hence it will not have the same sale as it would if you advertise the product. To create a demand for the product you need to lure the customers. Hence, advertising on TV etc.

12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually these big corporate house brain-wash the viewers with repeated telecast of their products with popular models and film/sports stars. People tend to believe them for real even if they are not telling the whole truth or exaggerating the facts. I have been watching some products for years with different models. The product remains the same but the models keep changing according to their popularity.

13. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ask any Marketing student majoring in advertising and he will tell you that advertising is the lifeblood of the product specifically of big corporations. Advertising is similar to the nice packaging of the drug that costs so little but sold at an expensive price. And with the internet now, we cannot escape from the wrath of advertisers who would pester us with the commercials and promotional blurbs.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Fortunately we do not have drug/medicines on the list of adverts because as per the unwritten rule a drug once goes on air is the last choice of doctors for prescription. But we have so many other products which appear on TV confuses us whether to buy or drop the idea until the next product gives even a better choice.

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    At some point it does seem kind of foolish, but then again there probably is something about having your name out there constantly. After a while maybe people just give up and say fine I will buy your product.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In some cases the adverts give a reverse impression. If you find them more than you can tolerate you develop kind of allergy and you promise to yourself to not to buy those products in your sub-conscious mind. I have a toothpaste in that list which is good otherwise.

17. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Advertising is a must to survive and win in this competitive world. They're not just on TV, they're practically everywhere. Big businesses are on billboards, radio, and probably on your monitor or smartphone right now. There are human ads as well. I used to work for a below-the-line outdoor advertising company which offers advertisement on city lampposts, roving trucks, billboards, and on top of utility vehicles. It's a big business and the advertisers are known to advertise heavily when the business climate is down.

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you @Jamille@Jamille but the problem with TV advertising is that they are right inside your bedroom or sitting rooms where you have to watch/hear them even if you're not interested to do that.I also understand that advertising is must in order to reach to their target group but what I feel that when anything is done beyond a certain limit it gives a negative feeling.

19. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Advertising is a twin brother of marketing. This is what I have remembered when I was taking up commerce course in college before. We were discussing in our subject Salesmanship about advertising. We discussed various styles and methods of advertising and we came to conclusion that marketing is well boosted through advertising. Prospective buyers or customers may not know what is your product all about if it is not advertised.

20. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Iv'e always wondered how much Super Bowl ads pay off. For instance, does seeing an ad on the Super Bowl make a person want to go buy a certain brand of potato chips? Apparently there must be a payoff, because corporations know what they're getting into. Of course, as many know, companies pay millions of dollars for even a short commercial at the big game.