Why Do I Always Think I'll Be 'Fine' Staying Up as Late- and Getting Up as Early-as I Want?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by mythman • Aug 10, 2014.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    And I'm doing it again right now, having gone to sleep at about 1 a.m. & writing this at about 3 a.m.

What's more; I'm fairly-sure that today I'll be fighting the urge to nod-off in church around 9:30 this morning, & I'll take an 'unscheduled' nap at around noon.

Why do I do this? I have full knowledge that 'being awake all day' requires that I sleep 6-8 hours at night, but I think

keeps me awake & typing until my body can't sustain consciousness anymore.

Hmm ... I think my body-clock's changing. Should I accept this change and have the attendance record of a wizard ("A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." (Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring). In the world today--where stuff happens on a schedule and typically doesn't wait on one of its trivial participants to arrive--that means 'not being at many of the "scheduled" events I usually enjoy)?

Or should I FORCE MYSELF to bed for at least 6 hours-a-night?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that if you don't force yourself to get some sleep at night, life will force you to. I am more productive at night and would love to be on my old night owl schedule. But my daughter's school schedule and my various odd jobs and side hustles require me to be awake at 6AM. Unfortunately, the world isn't set up for night owls.
    The last time that I was able to stay up all night without consequences is when I was 22 and worked at a nightclub until 5AM and slept all day.
    As adults, we have obligations and appointments and the world doesn't let us sleep all day and stay up all night. I wish it did.
    If I absolutely am dying to stay up all night working at my computer and watching anime, I basically accept that I'll have to stay up all day the next day and zombie my way around all my errands and chores.

3. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I'm the same way! Every night I tell myself I'll be fine staying up a couple more hours to watch a movie and still wake up early. But when it times come to wake up I either want to sleep in more or I'm exhausted all day. But sleep is so important, we shouldn't think we can stay up late at night and then wake up early. That is unrealistic.