Why do I feel like crap every morning?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by deathbyprayer • Sep 3, 2014.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Every morning when I wake up I feel like as if I've never slept the whole night. When I wake up I just feel really heavy and groggy at first I thought I wasn't getting enough sleep but I do make it a habit to sleep at least 8 hours every night. Now the other day I tried to stay up until 2 in the morning and I woke up at 8:30am, 6 hours of sleep and I feel great. Of course a bit tired but I don't feel crappy. Has ever such a thing happened to you before?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not all of us need the same amount of sleep. That's why i don't like recommended anything.. recommended hours of sleep, recommended calories, recommended this, recommended that. We;re all different. Use 8 hours as a guideline, but if it doesn't work for you, there is nothing wrong with you. You don't need 8 hours. I need about 6 myself. More would be overkill for me, as it seems to be for you. If 6 makes you feel great,... guess what? lol.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say listen to what your body is telling you. It seems that six hours are enough for you during the night. You can always have a short nap during the day to make you feel more rested. There are many factors involved in getting a good night's sleep, such as the quality of your mattress, climate, noise, light, stress, etc.
    I need exactly 8 hours of rest every night to feel good throughout the day. If I am not able to sleep for that amount of time, I need to make up for it, usually late in the afternoon.

4. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Tell me about it. I used to feel worse even, I sometimes had to skip work because my body is just way too tired because I slept for 10 hours. I agree with everybody in this thread, if it doesn't feel right then don't do it. For me 5 hours is enough, I feel energetic and I don't feel crap every morning, the downside though is that I had to take naps every afternoon, 1 - 2 hours which is really not going to help me at all because I can't really take a nap at work.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, this happens to me sometimes and I don't really know what causes it either but my theory is that the quality of sleep I get on some days just isn't the same as others. If I get deep sleep then it almost doesn't matter if I reach the full 8 hours that most consider necessary but when my sleep is shallow which is the type that I can be easily woken up then even if I got a full 8 hours I would still feel drowsy.

6. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Perhaps you need a change of activities. More exercise would help release endorphins that would make you feel better. I have tried this when I notice that my mood is going south. Even a 30 minute brisk walk at night or early morning can do a lot to alter your mood for the day. A change of diet may also be in order. I notice that I feel sluggish in the morning if I over eat the night before. A light dinner works for me.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It might be your body clock telling you that you're a night owl. When I used to work a night job and sleep during the day, I felt like crap even though I got a full 8 hours of sleep because my body didn't want me to sleep during the day. When I changed shifts at work, I felt better. Is there annoying light or noise disturbing your sleep? Do you sleep with the TV on?

8. sharpayvargas1

sharpayvargas1Member

Threads:
    I have read articles that say that it's not just about how long you slept last night. We also need to consider if what time you slept last night and if you got enough of sleep for the previous nights. They say that lack of sleep is like accumulating. Let's say, for a 4 nights, you only had 4 hours of sleep each, then probably, by the 5th, even if you got 8 hours, you still don't feel good because in totality, you still lack sleep. My suggestion would be try to regularize the time and number of hours of your sleep every night and share the result. If you can't do what I just said, maybe being groggy is just the payback for your lifestyle.

9. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    This happens to me all the time. No matter how much I sleep or how less, I still wake up feeling horrible. There are some days that I even sleep as late as 2pm and still fill bad. The only time I wake up feeling ok is when I take a nap during the day.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe your body is really just content with only 6 hours of sleep, because it's common knowledge that if you oversleep, then you will feel sleepy or groggy and not energized when you wake up, so I think you should not sleep more than 8 hours so that you won't feel groggy when you wake up. As for me, my body needs to have 7 or 8 hours of sleep, and if it doesn't get enough sleep, then it will "demand" sleep by making me feel sleepy even if I'm very alert and sitting up at some point in the day. My energy level is quite low too and I can't think clearly.