Why Do People Like Redbox?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Sep 29, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't live in the US, so I've never gotten to try using Redbox, and I'm curious as to why people like it as it seems there are lots of comments online in favor of it. I'm confused because there are so many other more convenient ways to get movies these days such as streaming on Netflix, and if someone doesn't want to pay a monthly subscription then they can probably just get individual movies off of Google's store or some other similar service. I'm thinking it may be because of the charm of still getting physical media kind of like how you would have on Blockbuster, or maybe they have a slightly better movie title selection, but I doubt that they have that many exclusives that someone would go through the trouble of renting and returning discs physically.

Anyone here who uses, or knows of someone who uses Redbox, care to shed some light on this? What advantages does renting on Redbox have over other more convenient ways to get movies these days?

2. randomdude

randomdudeMember

Threads:
    Honestly I cannot think of any advantages that Redbox would bring to an active movie or video game renter. I am from Missouri in the USA and I have seen this Redbox rental thing everywhere I go. It seems to be more Redbox's around than QuickTrip gas stations or Target stores. Don't get me wrong its not like I despise their services. It seems to be alot of people who enjoy using these things. Im just saying personally, I think its just a waste of money in the long run. And I am a little sceptical about having a little Redbox store my credit card information. There is a much more convenient and simple way to rent movies. And that is streaming them through Netflix. They may not have the same selection as a redbox but its much safer than having to return a movie to a little redbox where anyone could be lurking and waiting to try to steal your credit card information.

3. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I like Redbox because in Canada you can rent a movie for free one day a week, and my wife's job location is at one of these stores, so it's convenient to grab a film sometimes as she leaves work. We don't use it very often and I agree that it's hard to believe there are so many of them. Netflix is much more convenient.

4. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    We have used Redbox for a few years now and we seem to like it. It's convenient and I get reminders when the new movies are coming out. We rent them and watch them and then bring them back... super easy and I'm out during the day anyway so it's not like I have to make an extra trip.

They are very reasonable as well. :)

Hope this sheds a little light on things,

Danyel :)

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Due to licensing agreements and whatnot, Redbox often receives new release movies sooner than Netflix and other services. They have that edge, along with offering video games for two bucks per night, since not everyone wants to pay for Gamefly. Redbox is advantageous over streaming services due to their earlier release schedules along with their price. If you only want a couple movies per month to watch once, then it's unbeatable.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I did go through a phase of using Redbox because I wanted to see relatively recent movies for a price that's cheaper than going to the theaters. After a while, though, I quit that in favor of waiting until a movie was put online or actually buying DVDs of movies that I wanted. If you hold onto a rented movie for too long, those daily costs accumulate. I always felt pressure to hold onto a movie for only on or two days, so to not build up too much of a cost.

7. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    My family loves renting from Redbox because we get 2 codes a week for free rentals. My job currently has two of these machines so I can easily pick up and drop off movies on my way home from
    Or to work. They are a convience to my family and we use them. You can't beat getting two free rentals a week of new release movies and such.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Quality film, and less of waiting hours for streaming. It's also more secure watching it, that you wouldn't have to worry what if you suddenly lost your internet connections. Another thing is that Redbox gives you less distraction from the movies advertised online.