Why do people love Linux so much compared to Windows?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Esperahol • May 24, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever someone who thinks themself 133t starts talking about Linux it sort of all goes wavy on me because it doesn't sound like there is much that's better or different. I guess it just seems like the way Mac users say that Macs are unhackable which is why they're better then PC although that statement has been proven false many, many times.

2. MEGATRUCK

MEGATRUCKMember

Threads:
    Apparently Linux is great for hackers out there, but it's pretty much just some OS that's very customizable. But there's not a lot of products compatible with it.

3. cluckis

cluckisBanned

Threads:
    Linux is very user customizable and useful for advanced computer users. I use it myself on my old computer, and it really is better than Windows! But only for advanced users, Windows is still the way to go if you dont know a ton about computers.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. If you're an advanced user, it's a lot easier to get linux to do exactly what you want it to do, because it's completely open source. Windows you pretty much just have to take as is... which is not bad if you're not an advanced user.

5. GGGuardian

GGGuardianMember

Threads:
    I personally prefer windows over Linux. I just like the whole look and feel better than Linux. Also I love not having to type in commands for everything I do I rather just scroll and click to make my life much easier.

6. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    Not a fan of linux, but here are some of the advantages.

*It is more secure compared to Windows
    * Free!
    * Does not overwork your hardware
    * Can change things around as you wish (settings and such)

7. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    If you're not a hacker there's really no point in using Linux. Everyone says it's better, but I've tried it before and I didn't like it at all. There was so much stuff that it was lacking from the beginning. You have to manually install everything and it just takes too much time. Windows is already setup as soon as you buy it, and you rarely have to install anything. The people that say Linux is better are people who want to be different.

8. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I have not used Linux ever and even if I have not use it, I still don't like it. I think it is the OS that the minority uses so whenever you have a problem with it, it is hard to find answers because there are only few linux users. I also can't find any reason that makes linux special. I'll go with windows all the way!

9. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    I don't know if it is a love of Linux or a hatred of Windows. I use both and they each have their advantages. I like that I can have numerous Linux distributions on different disks that I can use when I need them. I prefer Windows for everyday work.

10. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to say you got 2/4 right, but as for security and overwork... Linux can make your computer crash due to bloat and it's pretty twitchy overall. At least that's what my other friend had to say.

11. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    It's the same reason some people prefer to build their own computers and not just buy premade ones. Wih Linux, you decide what your computer can and can't do. I guess people who like Linux like writing their own code and don't want anyone else up their business. Linux is also extremely flexible, as previously mentioned.

12. Gamrpro

GamrproMember

Threads:
    I am obsessed over the Mac OS. I think it's much more simpler than Windows. It's also very fast for me. I am in love with the UI! :)

13. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    It's free, open source, and can be much more powerful than windows if you know how to use it right. Of course, most people talking about how "l337" they are for using linux only use a gui-based linux, which is basically an alternative to windows, not knowing how to use its powerful tools, and just think they're cooler than everyone else because they're different.
    Also, it doesn't get viruses that can effect it unless you straight up run the virus program on purpose.

14. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    And how does that relate to Linux versus Windows? I'm glad you love your Mac, but that really doesn't relate to the question posed.

15. psufootball

psufootballMember

Threads:
    I use Ubuntu on my laptop and I really like it. The laptop's specs are not that great at all, but Ubuntu runs quick and smooth as opposed to Vista which was on it when I bought it. This Linux distribution has really breathed life into what has now gone from a brick or paperweight to a useful machine for web browsing/word processing. I use Windows 7 though on my desktop for everyday use and I prefer it simply because I feel I have a better idea as to what is going on.

16. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Linux isn't for hackers only. My sister uses it to browse the net and to do her stuff like chatting with friends. I installed it to her netbook because she usually gets viruses because of downloading files over the net. And since she knows nothing about it, this will just make her download files and not install anything making her safe from virus again.

And don't disturb me to install her windows xp again and again.

17. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    etc... I applaud you, your candor, and your brillance. I am now going to install Linux on everything because I am really tired of troubleshooting every computer, laptop, and whatnot my associated friends and family persist in shoving in my face. It's not that hard... it is not that hard to just not get your device infected. I don't know why they persist in visiting shady sites or downloading everything or clicking all kind of things... why?

18. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I have always had a PC, I've never used a mac so I can't really say , but I've always been curious as to what the difference is between the two!

19. jooomes

jooomesNew Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I'm a bit of a computer plebian. From what I've heard, Linux is very user customizable and pretty fun to use. Aside from that, it's free and open source. I do have a flash drive with puppy linux that I use for recovery and that isn't difficult to use at all. If I had to choose for simplicity of use I'd have to go with Windows on a stock computer. Maybe if I read up a bit on computers I'd side with Linux.

20. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I never understood it personally, especially if you are working in design/web development. None of the prominent apps I use are available for it, and their Linux counterparts are not as good. I tried installing Ubuntu on a spare laptop, and was not really impressed with it at all. It was not very intuitive and it ran more sluggish than Win XP.