Why do people love Linux so much compared to Windows?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Esperahol • May 24, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Well, a PC and a Mac are basically the same thing. The only real differences are that Macs come packaged with a different OS then Windows and they are welded shut so you can't do your own repairs or upgrades. This thread however is about the OS Linux versus Windows.

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a Windows fanatic all the way. I just don't like the setup of Linux since it really confuses me. Windows is a lot easier to understand. It's fast, efficient and is compatible with almost any program out there. More software developers prefer to make programs for Windows for a reason - because it simply is better than Linux.

3. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    So Windows is kind of like your version of the Mac OS? Its simplier to understand and you aren't having to figure everything out... interesting.

4. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    I love Linux since you can learn a lot just by using it. With Windows, you don't need a tutorial for tweaking the settings. You can go ahead and explore. It's very user-friendly that way. With Linux, you need to learn how to fire up a terminal and code and such to get the maximum out of it. It's recommendable for advanced users.

5. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a coder myself but I did learn how to code with bash after learning how linux work. you really don't need to be a programmer of some kind to work with linux as its also as friendly as windows especially the ubuntu distro. Its just a point and click operating system.

6. Thorarin

ThorarinNew Member

Threads:
    I'd say this is one of the biggest lies about Linux in general. I've been using Linux (Ubuntu, generally) for years and I've rarely ran into the problem that I can't get a program to run. If that's the problem, then there's normally another program that will do the same job out there. Software will be the least of your worries.

I'd say the biggest problem with Linux seems to be, if it works straight away, you're lucky. If you get into the situation where you need to be configuring drivers and what-not it gets a bit more complicated fast. Luckily, Linux is always improving and recently I've not had any problems with hardware on laptops or desktops. Yes, it's still a problem but it's getting better all the time.

7. Thorarin

ThorarinNew Member

Threads:
    Ok, then you're saying that an operating system that my girlfriend managed to install on her own, (she's an art student, not really computer oriented at all, you're having problems with? And about it not being better than Windows? Well, that's your opinion.. There's multiple operating systems for a reason, everyone likes different things.

However, the reason more people develop actively for Windows is quite simply that there are more Windows users out there to make money from, a bigger user base will attract more development. I'm guessing you don't know the first thing about development which is why you'd say something like that.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally prefer Windows over Linux, but I think the reason why people flock to use Linux is because they are less susceptible to viruses as compared to Windows. Also Linux is free to use as compared to Windows.

9. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    I always use Windows rather than Linux, so Windows is better for me. I am used to it.

10. zuluguy

zuluguyNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer Linux over windows because its 100% free, i'm all about free software and don't think Operating systems should cost money. Also linux compared to windows is fully customisable. You can change anything you want in linux, as long as you have the know how. But changing a windows operating system is against the law because it is all under copywrite laws. And then there is the added bonus that even if it is possible to get a virus on linux (Which i'm not sure it is) the virus can't actually do much because you NEED root access which can't be obtained easily!

11. Melvin

MelvinNew Member

Threads:
    It's very customizable. I have a low hardware laptop that I used to run windows 7 on. It was cluggy and slow, and only after i switched to linux, I was able to use it to its full potential. I just moved over from ubuntu to xbuntu. (I hate unity with a passion) Linux is an all round good OS in terms of usability, customization, and user friendliness.

12. donaldplozha

donaldplozhaMember

Threads:
    It is open-source, so you can edit even the smallest details of the whole operating system, so that they fit your own needs. The other advantage is, in my opinion, that it is free and you can download it anytime you want.

Further advantage: practically it doesn't need an antivirus, as there are so few Linux viruses.

13. Melvin

MelvinNew Member

Threads:
    That we know of...at least I'm sure there are viruses for linux (look at all the LAMP servers being hijacked and hacked) Many of the skids/noobs don't really have a clue on how to code their own bots/malware to hack linux computers, so we don't have to worry about them.

14. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Like many users mentioned above, Linux is intended for people with intermediate/advanced OS knowledge. Someone who isn't familiar with the basics definitely shouldn't try switching from Windows to Linux.

I'm just fine using Windows, so I never thought to switching to Ubuntu, like my brother and my uncle did.

15. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I think it ultimately comes down to the desire and willingness to learn something new. Most people don't want to do that so it's easy to dismiss things like that. The people have come to know Linux weren't born knowing how to use it, they chose to get into it, one step at a time. There are plenty of versions of Linux that are very Windows-like. But, again, it's not the same software so that turns people off having to re-learn things about an OS.

I plan to move to some version of Linux because it takes better advantage of the hardware in your system. If you're using Linux and your computer is running slower than Windows, then there's something wrong with your configuration. There are enough people using Linux these days where any problem can be solved with an internet search. I'm excited about making the switch. Plus, I'm profoundly turned off by the politics of Bill Gates, lately. I don't see myself sending more money to his company by upgrading from XP. Sometimes, you have to stand for something.

I also like the freedom of having more choices for my work environment. So, I'll have to learn some new things...big deal.

16. skyby7

skyby7New Member

Threads:
    Linux is very customizable to the user's liking, even though alot of software isn't compatible with it.

Alot of programmers and people who are very knowledgeable in computers prefer linux due to it being open source.
    Hackers also enjoy linux very much for that same reason.

It is the most powerful OS out there, for those who know how to properly use Linux.