Why do people make harmful computer viruses?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by lindbergh • Apr 21, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When my laptop was attacked by a very powerful virus (it even came to a point where I could not even open my laptop) I asked myself - why? Why do people make all these viruses that would disrupt the PC? Are they just showing off? Are they just showing to the world how intelligent they are? Are they just plain evil? Are they just jerks? Do they sell antivirus programs?

2. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    People create virus because they see an opportunity to test their skills by passing through other people's defenses. There are also companies that pay to people that can break into their security, so with that they can find the flaws and fix them.

3. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    A way of achieving a feeling of superiority or maybe just a general desire to do some degree of IT vandalism. Yeah I guess that might be a good way to put it, IT vandalism.
    Ryder13

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    For some people they create a computer virus just to prove they can do it. As sad as that is, its just their way of proving they can control other individuals computers. I also know of another type of computer virus that not only attack my PC but also the PC of two of my brothers as well. This virus makes it so that a person can't access any program in their computer unless they buy a certain anti-virus software. In other words its almost as if your PC has been hijacked by someone wanting to sell of all thing anti-virus software, how ironic is that? Fortunately I have another brother who is a computer whiz and he knew how to solve this problem. I will now share this information with you if you still have this issue or if it occurs in the future. Go to your start up menu and go to system restore, then chose an earlier date before the virus attacked your computer. This will usually solve this problem, it did for me.

5. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    One of the pluses of the Mac is that the viral attacks are not as common.
    I am not saying there are none at all but just not as much of a problem.
    I can put up with Spam and all that but I sure don't need to worry about computer virsuses.
    Ryder13

6. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I think that these people just need to feel superior, which tells me that they have self esteem issues, and creating viruses addresses them in some twisted way. I can never work out where they get there kicks from, because I would think that most of the buzz from doing something like this would come from seeing the effect their deeds have on their victims, and they can never do that, for fear of detection.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People create viruses because they are bored, testing their computers skills, trying to create a rep for themselves, for the challenge and just plain old anarchy. It's too bad that they don't direct their skills in a more positive manner.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a shame they don't use their skills against bad companies, like those shady collection agencies that buy old debts and call people to threaten them, or sex offenders so that they can't look at bad things on their computers.
    Instead they put viruses on the computers of college students and soccer moms.
    What a waste of skills.

9. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    From what I have read about such people, they have no sense of right or wrong. Everything is a game to them. They would have into the Pentagon and try to launch a nuclear warhead, just to see whether it can be done. Personally I would put these people in the same category as pedophiles, meaning people who are incorrigible and can be killed without any loss to society. Too harsh?

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some shady collection agencies use software that spoof caller ID. They make the incoming phone number appear like it's coming from a family or friend. Those are the worse one. I would have any problem if they were attacked. :)

11. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I think these types of people must have very low self-esteem, and have withdrawn from society. I don't they should be pitied, though. What they do is evil and the fallout from their deeds can, and has been, enormous. These people should really be put away for life, whenever caught.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd say it's a mixture of all of them. Different people will have different reasons for creating disruption, but I think the main reason is to keep anti-viruses relevant. I strongly suspect that it's virus companies that keep this industry alive, just merely by looking towards who would benefit the most, not that I would entirely just jump to that conclusion.

13. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So, in short, they are just bad people. They're like mad scientists - people with high intellect but low in values. However, I also read about a creator of a computer virus that had his own PC infected with another virus. Lol. I hope that the other virus creators experience this as well so that they know how people feel when their computer is infected.

14. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I've always wondered that. At least the people who creat the fishing emails and what not have a motive- to steal your info and get money from it. NOT that it's good, but it at least makes sense. The people who create the viruses that just simple wreak havoc on your ocmputer, I've never understood it.

15. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    To be honest, these days it is mostly about making money. In the "olden days" it was mostly about proving your level of skill and so on. Nowadays, professional criminals make viruses to steal financial details or demand money to "fix" your computer (so-called "ransomware"). They also take over peoples' computers to use them to attack the websites of particular companies. They tell the company that unless they are given money, they will make the company's website stop working. Making viruses is now more of a business than about personal satisfaction and entertainment, as it used to be.

16. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    The short and simple answer to this question is that hackers want to show off their skills and score brownie points among their competitors. A lot of hackers are not using their skills to steal money or corrupt data; they are just breaking into systems just for fun. However there are plenty of hardcore criminals around who want to steal your data or money at any cost so you need to be vigilant and use best anti-virus and anti-spyware softwares to protect yourself.

17. mansawalta

mansawaltaMember

Threads:
    I think making viruses is all about money. I think the companies that make anti-virus are the ones that make these viruses so ordinary people who cant figure a way against the viruses turn to them for help and also surrender their hard earned cash. Its definitely a business, and i dont see any other reasons why one would make viruses and spread them across the globe.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I think that it's more of a challenge and ego thing, like, "Hey, look at me, I have the knowledge that I can use to mess up your pc" so they use their knowledge for the wrong reasons. They simply don't have any values and conscience. Just as our security is threatened in real life by muggers, our online or digital security is threatened by these viruses. Do they really have to keep up with the times? It would be nice if they didn't, but sadly, that's not the case.

19. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think they just do it to test their skills I also have wondered why people would do that I mean it must take a lot of time to do things like this and I don't understand why anyone would waste their time on something like this.

20. joshAnthony

joshAnthonyNew Member

Threads:
    Yeah its true I've heard companies paying hackers to make viruses to see if their sites need improving etc. Anyway hackers usually do this for fun and they have nothing better to do. I got a friend who used to do it for fun and excitement he later realized its not fun on the victims end and he stopped. I think once someone can send a virus to a hacker they would stop doing it because they would now know how it feels.