Why do people make harmful computer viruses?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by lindbergh • Apr 21, 2013.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Doesn't everything ;)

2. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is a power thing for a lot of these people. Maybe they were bullied as kids and want a chance to feel strong. I really find it despicable. People invests hundreds of dollars in computers and people try to ruin it for fun.

3. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes companies pay hackers a lot of money to see if their site can be attacked. Where do you think these hackers got the skills to do this? They hone their skills just like any discipline requires it's skills to be sharpened.

4. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    Well, some of them want money, and some people just want to watch the world burn.
    Believe or not, some people program things like viruses and trojan horses for fun or to test their skills.

5. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    its funny to see even after legitimate reasons have been given, people still say "maybe they just have too much time on their hands"

6. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    hahaha, it's true though, granted this is mostly done for money, various forms of espionage and general hacker ethics, I suppose some people may create viruses in lieu of going out the house haha

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah it's obviously mostly about money. People are greedy. That's the way society is. Whatever the reason though, it is sad. Maybe some don't even realize though how serious it is. I wouldn't be surprised because even I didn't know how serious a virus could be. I used to download things for money knowing it would infect my computer. I thought no big deal, I can just delete the program after I was credited and scan my computer with free anti-virus. Boy how utterly wrong I was. Not only did I have to go into recovery, the computer automatically destroyed all my files. I have a lot of my data back but I am angry because I spent a thousand dollars through a recovery service. I am quite confident what company was the cause of the virus. I know that they don't care either, whether they made it themselves or just let it be on their software. It even says in their agreement that they assume no liability for damage to your device. Needless to say, I don't do download offers on the computer anymore but if I knew any way to make them pay me back, I would do it in a heartbeat. I have learned my lesson and was trying to make money the honest way so the least they can do is pay me back.

#47Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  8. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with you, sadly though, that will never happen, the likelihood is that the company was probably payed to include the virus file in their software no questions asked as that happens fairly frequently. Despite what people may tell you, it is pretty much impossible to police hackers unless they really stand out for something they've done, or are not great at covering their tracks. And even then, they mostly get away with it, and I have no shortage of examples from the news in recent years to prove that.

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh I know it's pretty difficult to police hackers. I was thinking at the very least they could be sent ransom ware for anyone (not just me) who suffered financial damage due to a virus but I guess that would backfire because they may able to get the hacker that payed them to delete it
    It's baffling how people can win lawsuits for something as stupid as spilling coffee on themselves but you can't seem to successfully sue for a computer virus even if you know who did it.

#49Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  10. Brad

BradMember

Threads:
    It all depends. Some hackers aim to destory websites and computers which contain inappropriate material, some do it for fun and then others do it to obtain information such as contact details, passwords etc.

I'm thinking the majority do it for money. That's why trojans/rats were invented, to obtain card details and since I was a victim of it, I can tell you, it's not good when you have one on your computer.

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes viruses are made because people are just jerks. But most viruses are actually made by companies, anti-virus companies. If they make viruses, people will have to protect their PC's and buy their anti-virus program. But some people make viruses for profit, some viruses steal your information, some of them just do stuff that makes you hate the world. Also, companies pay I.T. people and hackers to make viruses for them, both for testing purposes and profit. But basically, people make these things just for profit. If I can make a virus, I certainly will use it to benefit me.

12. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I think people do this to make attack their competitors or just to cripple your operations. You will discover that in most cases a person who attacks your computer is a competitor that wants to keep you down and thrive on your problems. Well that is not a fair competition.

13. Nicole87

Nicole87Member

Threads:
    A lot of viruses have indeed made for money making purposes. Some of the viruses actually want you to buy some kind of an antivirus program or something else that would fix your computer. Also, it's not uncommon for viruses to be designed to steal your credit card information, social security number, and so on.

I'm pretty sure, though, that some programmers might just create viruses for fun.