Why do Women Decide to Hold a "Clutch"?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by kingusama92 • May 2, 2012.

1. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    I have seen women at parties hold these strapless purses (clutch bags). It seems like such an odd accessory.

Doesn't even look that stylish, to be honest!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQ-te8TzjAvvRri1hCDu9e0wvXzFVUjPfIokgtqQ3mH2DaG2rSda9OETeXaA.

I am a guy, so what do I know though? :rolleyes:

2. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    I think they are actually really cute, but I feel like it'd be hassle to have to carry that. I don't have one, and I don't plan on getting one. Haha.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to own quite a few evening clutches. They're cute and stylish. They aren't as big as a day purse. They are the right size for holding everything you need for a night out on the town.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen my sister using those when she was going out to parties... but it just seems like a hassle to me. The whole point of a purse is so that you don't have to carry everything in hand, correct? Then why are you carrying your purse in hand? I would only carry a purse that had a handle or a strap so that I could keep my hands free to hold drinks, haha!

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I see women usually tucking them under their arm if they need their hands free. They're not my style and I would rather an over-the-shoulder variety, but I suppose if you're trying to be fashionable or you want an even smaller item, then it makes sense to simply carry a small clutch.

6. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I've never used one. I just know I'd set it down and forget about it. I think they're mostly used for black tie events and such - celebs on the red carpet always have them. I've never been a black tie kind of gal, LOL.

7. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    Clutch bags became the it thing when sex and the city was on. Personally I find them useless since they can hold nothing and I would need a second purse for my things. I can understand that women hold them to match dresses and evening gowns in important occasions like the red carpet :) but let's face it, they are not that practical

8. lynda22

lynda22New Member

Threads:
    They are more sleek and stylish than carrying around a big day purse. However, they are quite impractical. You can't fit many things in them, and they have no straps so you literally have to "clutch" them! The LV clutches in the photo you uploaded are not stylish, you're right. For evening, most women use a black or silver clutch, and these can look quite elegant.

9. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I've never been a fan of the clutch because I'm a really forgetful person and I'm positive that I'd set it down and forget about it. But I can understand why some women love them. They aren't big and bulky like some purses. Some are cute and they are just the right size to fit some stuff that women would need.

10. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I think clutches are designed for women to carry some money and small items when they go out and don't want to lug around a purse. It is much more stylish to carry a small clutch than a purse when you're clubbing or going to an event. I personally don't use a clutch because I'm afraid I would accidentally leave it in the bathroom or somewhere.

11. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know but my girlfriend said that bags like that are extensions of their clothes so it is still part of their fashion style. I don;t think they could really use that if not for fashion. What could you put in there? A piece of lipstick and a mirror? :D

12. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    I've never used one and I don't even know anyone who uses them. I think it's just the women who go to a lot of functions, parties and such. I would not use one anywhere, my stuff won't fit in such a tiny purse lol.

13. Cheseloo

CheselooMember

Threads:
    I used a clutch purse daily. It would seem odd to me to use anything bigger to only cary id, credit card, lip gloss and a cell phone.

14. Yuvastyleindia

YuvastyleindiaMember

Threads:
    I have also seen in parties that Women are carrying these kind of clutches. The clutches are look so stylish as compared to handbag especially in parties. It looks great with the outfit if has a match with it. Even women purchase especially those clutches which have a good match with their outfit.

15. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    I've never been moved to buy a clutch. I just feel like they are impractical. I like for purses to keep my hands free and fit more than ID, credit cards and cash. I have to at least fit my cell phone, gum, lip balm and a small tube of hand lotion. I wouldn't even trust wearing it under my arm and I'd imagine I'd be annoyed with not being able to raise my arm. You would also have to be very careful of your surroundings. A clutch under the arm is an easy target for a thief who can come from behind and easily slip it away from you. If i'm dressed up to go out or going to a place where I don't want to wear a big purse I have a few small cute purses with just enough strap to wear on my arm at the crease of my elbow.

16. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I think they are cute but I wouldn't like to own one. I think I would lose it quite fast as I am not used to carrying strapless purses. I feel more secured when they are strapped to me or at least have a wristlet attached. There are small purses with straps now a days but I guess strapless its the style now.

17. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I think they are quite useless and old fashioned atleast for me. I have this big cell phone that never fits in a clutch so I wouldn't bother with them. They are however good with people wishing to carry just few things.

They come from cheap to the most expensive. They may look pretty but I find them a nuisance to carry them all the time in hands.

18. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I have a few clutches but I seldom carry it. However, it does come handy when you have to go for shopping and don't want to carry your bag. You can carry your money in this. I don't want to carry a clutch only when I have my kids with me. I find it hard to take care of them and carry the clutch as well.

19. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Some women like to have a little bag where they can carry their cellphone, cash, lipstick, powder, etc. and little clutch bag does the job fine. I don't particularly like the clutch bag that you used as an example, but I carry a little shoulder bag or purse whenever I go out to hold my "essentials" in it.

20. Fran Sherrell

Fran SherrellNew Member

Threads:
    I love carrying clutch! I feel clutches enhance your style quotient instantly while keeping all your essentials in place such as phone, lipstick, cash, ids and more! I have clutches in different colors. I match them with my outfits before stepping out.