Why Do you Listen to AudioBooks?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by jdwriter • Jul 16, 2014.

1. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite medium for reading is audio. I have tried to get through a lot of books in both the physical and digital formats, but find that I get more read in the audio format than the other two combined. I attribute this to my addiction to exercise. I listen to audio books for a good portion of my workout. I get my books from Audible (Amazon).

What made everyone start listening to audio, and what service or publisher do you like best?

2. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    Its really fun and easy to listen to audiobooks while exercising, I do the same thing, jdwriter. I love loading up a audio book or podcast while I'm out jogging in the morning.

3. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    There are a lot of times I really enjoy listening to audiobooks. I never got into them before, but last year my commute increased and I started checking audio books out from the library onto my iPad to keep myself entertained while driving. I soon realized that I also enjoyed listening to audio books while at home doing chores, and have listened to a ton of books now over the past year.

I am running out of stuff I want to listen to from the library though and audio books can get so expensive! How do you make it cost effective?

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have got some old audiobooks in German, which I love to listen to again and again. They deeply relax me and send off to sleep rather quickly.
    I like to listen to classical detective stories by Agatha Christie, Edgar Wallace and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. From time to time I also listen to audio stories on youtube. I haven't really thought about buying any audiobooks so far.

5. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I've a lot of books I want to read, and not really that much time for reading most of the time. Honestly the only time I really read anymore is when I'm on the toilet these days. In a few months I'll be using the bus for an hour every day, so I'll have time then I guess.

Anyway, my point is, audiobooks allow me to read when I'm doing other things. Going for a walk? I can read while I do that. Going through the airport? I can read.

6. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    For some reason, I like to listen to the classics on audiobook rather than read the physical book or ebook. I grasp the classics better when I hear the spoken word plus I can listen while I do other things. I think it is great that in this day and age we have so many options to read the books we love.

7. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    There is a good deal of research on learning, and one of the researchers actually wrote about the fact that listening has an extremely high retention rate for information; add in exercise and you have a great one-two punch for memory (activity helps your brain function properly). That is one of the biggest reasons I love audiobooks.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to read actual books, but I occasionally listen to audio books because I can multitask while listening to them.
    Being able to do other productive things while listening to audio books is their best feature.
    I noticed that the last time I was at Walmart, their electronics section had expanded, but their book section shrunk to one shelf.
    I guess that shows how little most people value books.

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is fun to read books and learn from them. But when audio books are used, you do not have to use this method and strain your eyes. Audio books are best used when there is no way to read.

10. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually only listen to audiobooks whenever I have eye problems and can't really read an actual book. I don't really like the medium too much, but it is better than nothing in these cases..

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I listen to Audio books so that I can multitask. I love to read but I don't have the time to sit down and read a book, the audio book allows me to hear the story and complete my task as I work which does not require me to be on the phone just my fingers moving. I have found there are some readers that I really enjoy their voice as the read the books. There was one lady reading that I could not stand her voice reading the book that was a real problem.

12. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I listen to audiobooks because it's just crazy fun and to spend my time wisely. When I do jog, I couldn't read and it just feels like I'm wasting a lot of time which is quite frustrating. So, to resolve this, I decided that I'd just listen to audiobook. In that way, at least, stories are being told to me. I feel like that by just listening a music while running is really fun, but at the same time I feel that a lot of time is getting into waste.

13. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I personally like to turn the pages, particularly for informational books that I want to be able to go back and refer to. Audiobooks are great for the car, late night relaxing before you go to bed, and to multitask. However, I stick to stories for this purpose.

14. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    In general, I like reading physical books more; however, if I'm jogging or out for a walk or something, I like to put in an audiobook as the only other things I listen to would be music and podcasts, which either get repetitive or there aren't any new ones out. I'm insanely awful at listening to books when doing other things though: I can't drive with because I just focus on driving and zone out on the book; I can't sleep listening to them because I end up staying up if it get's interesting; and if I'm doing heavy exercise, I don't pay enough attention to know what's going on. I think I've only finished one book entirely by audio; the rest I listened to some of it and read the rest.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I must be one of the few people who haven't taken to audio books. I just can't bring myself to listen to some woman or man, reading to me. I'd much rather read a book or ebook myself. It just seems like a very bizarre concept to me.

16. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I started listening to audio books that are part of online lessons on copyright and design. I quite enjoy them. I have a collection of audiobooks I found online, which is by far the only way I could find them. They offer a rather different and refreshing experience than other digital products. I can listen to the same chapter a few times or skip to a different section to save time.