Why does my Wifi router take too long to get connected to the internet? Is it normal?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by deathbyprayer • Jan 17, 2015.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I just recently installed a wifi router on my new apartment and it's my first time actually having a router. Now I'm not sure if it's my ISP or the router itself but whenever I turn on the router, which is a Dlink 615 by the way, the damn thing takes about 5-8 minutes to get completely connected to the internet. The indicator would show a green light and then orange and it would just switch back and forth for 5 minutes, even longer sometimes, until I get a stable connection. Is it normal or should I get my router checked?

2. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Get it check, also make sure you have the latest firmware installed on it. Do you connect instantly when using direct connection? (cable to pc) Could be an issue with the router firmware, try updating it or check to make sure your connection is not gated and it takes a while to connect without the router.

3. deathbyprayer

Threads:
    Yes! When I was using direct connection I get instant access to the internet. I'm not sure about the firmware though, I'd try to check it out once I got back home. In your case, does your router stall before you get connected?

4. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    It's normal. Make sure that you also turn on your modem first before turning on your wifi. I've been experiencing this problem for a long time now that's why I consider it normal already. I never bothered changing my wifi since my speed's fine, and an extre 5-8 minutes of waiting time won't kill me. If it's really bothering you, then you might wanna get your wifi checked. Good luck matey. :)

5. deathbyprayer

Threads:
    My modem and router are all plugged in the same switch so whenever I need to switch my internet on or off it's all in one place. I don't really mind the waiting I mean it's not that long but it's just annoying coming from an almost instantaneous direct connection. I guess I just need to get used to it but I'll still check if something's wrong with it.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Why are you turning your router on and off so much to begin with? I generally just leave mine on 24/7 - otherwise you are making it go through the whole bootup process each time. I'm not sure if you are using a combination router/modem device or have a separate device for each, but I would suggest just leaving them on.

And if both of these were provided to you by your ISP, you can also opt to go buy yourself a router instead. That way you can have the latest and fastest model and not some reused model the ISP is giving you which is probably on it's last leg.

You may also want to go into the router's control panel, and try broadcasting your WiFi on a different channel. Your neighbors might be on the same channel as you causing some hiccups - it's very much like the older wireless phones, where you needed to be on a different channel from your neighbors.

Lastly, though I doubt this is the issue based on what you described, I did recently notice that Microsoft OneDrive has a tendency to totally hog up your internet connection for several minutes when you first boot up your computer, in case you have that installed. I've noticed this on both of my computers, when it initially tries to sync my local files to the OneDrive service and see if there were any changes on either end.

7. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    It doesn't stall for me, but I never turn if off (unless i'm leaving the house for days). Ohiotom provided some great tips, i'm sure you can remedy your issue if you check through. Also, do you have the possibility to check with another router? If you are getting the same results, it's not the original ones fault.

8. deathbyprayer

Threads:
    I usually turn it off whenever I leave for work, feels like a waste to just leave it on when nobody is using it and I usually come home late and go straight to bed. I have a separate device for each actually and nope I don't have a OneDrive, I mean I have it on my computer but I don't use it.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think that is normal. I would recommend looking up some reviews or solutions for your specific router model as I'm guessing that if you have this problem then chances are at least one or two people out there have probably also experienced something similar. It usually just takes a minute or two for mine to connect and I think having to wait 5 minutes or more probably gets frustrating after a while.

10. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Routers tend to be slow upon startup, and your modem might be a little finicky. How is your actual connection? Is it reliable and fast? Upgrade the firmware on the router. Also, why do you turn it on and off so often? A router should be kept on at all times to avoid connection issues, and they don't drain that much power while in use anyways, in case you think that's an issue.

11. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    This is a broad question, there might be several reason why you're not connecting or have slow transfer rate, it could be that you need to upgrade your frame ware, you could also be using and an outdated router, It's a good idea to purchase a better router, you know what they saying, you get what you pay for, for the most part is true, and it's important that you place your router in a good location, call your service provider they might be able to assist you with set up. It could be a service provider that slow you might want to connect directly to your computer to be sure it's not them. Also secure your connection otherwise other people will connect to your Wi-Fi and slow you down.