Why Is Eating Off The $1 Menu At Mcdonalds Is Cheaper Than The Grocery Store?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Soulwatcher • Dec 14, 2017.

1. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    I know what you guys are thinking, no way! Well, the sad truth is somehow Mcdonalds can sell you 2 cheeseburgers and a large pop for $3. But when you go to the grocery store to buy a pound of beef, and buns and ketchup, pickles, mustard and pop it's going to cost you at least $15+.

Poor people are the reason why Mcdonalds is so popular, because of its at least 50%+ cheaper to go to Mcdonalds to eat then going to buy the food at the grocery store. How is this even possible? So my question of the hour is why is eating off the $1 menu at Mcdonalds is cheaper than the grocery store?

2. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:

Yeah, I was sort of noting that in my thread. However, it seems to be a problem in the developed world only - but maybe not. Anyway, the food is probably cheaper - or just as cheap, but of course, it's often very bad for you.

3. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    Mcdonalds has very small quantity and they mass produce the food. And it costs them very less. So it is affordable to them and the people. Other companies are taking the money out of the customers pocket. And they are recovering the funds for the sales and the ads. That seems to be the case for many. So it's the difference in both places.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    McDonald's seems to be a luxury restaurant in many nations. However, those countries do have affordable diners that most people can afford - and the food is way more healthy than McDonald's. Nonetheless, it's still more affordable for locals to eat at home I think.

Anyway, everything on the McD's menu isn't as bad. If a person can just avoid or cut down on the fries and maybe balance out the other stuff with vegetables at home, then I think that's progress.

5. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    If you eat at a quality restaurant in the USA you are talking at least $40+ for dinner two and even the Coney Islands are $25~$30 for dinner for two. And it just kills me, I don't know how these places justify their insane prices. While I do know that not everyone is poor like me and some people have money. And $40 might not seem like much to them, but if I had $40 to blow it sure wouldn't be on dinner I would buy something useful with it. But to each their own. ;)

6. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on the moment. For instance, once or twice a week might be OK, but you cannot eat there every day - but honestly, you shouldn't eat fast food every day either. In that case, why not buy quality food? Also, I enjoy the personal attention - even if the food isn't as good. I mean, fast food is often better or equal to IHOP, tbh.

7. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I still prefer home cooked meals over mass produced food. If I will eat outside, I will rather spend it on a buffet because they are better than fastfood. I use to love fastfood but I felt more satisfied with a buffet.

The Money I will spent in health bills will be bigger if I stick with McDonald's. I save more money with food from Homesteading, gardening and hunting.

8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I could maybe see it in the short term, but after a while it just wouldn't work. Partly it would not work for me just because I would always have to get fries and those are always one of the more expensive things.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mcdonals here doesn't really have a dollar menu. It is something they used to have, but honestly very few things are a dollar. I think it depends on what you are buying at the grocery store as to which is cheaper. You can get a whole dozen eggs for a dollar or less sometimes at the grocery store.

10. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    It may be cheaper but it certainly isn't healthier. I'm not sure we have that in the UK but I can imagine it would be very tempting to buy something so cheap especially when the kids are all hungry. I suppose it's ok for the occasional treat and I can imagine that because it is so cheap people will buy extras because they haven't spent much money. They may end up spending just as much as they would have done had they bought something more expensive.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    McDonald's is a business so they can buy at wholesale and in bulk, so they charge less. Like Wendy's who has $4 for 4 different items of very good selection with at least some vegetables, is a very good deal when you're out and about. I like home made meals though for you can make your meals the way you want and enjoy it in comfort. Working people need food and people traveling need to get meals, so we got all these nice places who are good business people who can serve up meals for little cost. There is just so much of outside eating a person can take though, I feel for the menu isn't endless and different. Home is where you get the best meals with everyone at home to enjoy each other's company and a meal. You can get a can of Spaghettio for just 1.29 and a can of corn on sale for .69. Heat them up and you got a meal that's cheaper than any fast food restaurant.

12. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Well the fast food won't last that long as compared to grocery food, so no wonder it's cheaper. But if you cook your own food you will get to save more money.

13. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    The reason it is lower is due to the fact that it is easier and faster to make and is not to good for you. As many state the quality of the food heath wise is not to high. However, I do think eating off the dollar menu every now and again isn't really a bad idea, especially if you are on a tight budget and want to save money.

14. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    $1 Mcdonald meal? My country seems to have missed that memo. The cheapest meal in my country (South Africa) for Mcdonalds is around $4-5. Local restaurants give them a stiff competition however. Their meals are very popular with young people and children mostly (due to the toys).

15. Sirius

SiriusMember

Threads:
    The cheapest meal is $5? OMG! What are the salaries in South Africa, judging by McDonald's prices, they must big.

As far as eating at McDonald's being cheaper than buying food from the grocery store in America, we must consider the fact that when you buy stuff at the store, you can't buy only two pieces of beef, two buns and a few pieces of pickles. These products come in a package. I think if you spend $15 on the needed items at the grocery store you will be able to make more cheeseburgers at home than what you'd be able to buy at McDonald's. Am I not right?