Why is organic food much more expensive than regular food?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by dieselfit • Dec 4, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    When I look at the prices for "natural" food or just plain labeled "organic", I'll find that the prices would be much higher than the foods that aren't labeled that. Take gluten-free foods as well, they are priced way higher than foods with gluten. You would think since they removed an ingredient that it would be cheaper. I guess it must be because they use cheaper ingredients when they make foods that aren't labeled organic or natural correct? Anyone know why? It must be the demand from the number of people that want these types of foods.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You got it. Demand. And in most cases, they aren't organic. If you buy your food from grocery stores, expect the misleading labels and flat out lies. As for gluten free, it's also demand.. gluten free food in grocery stores are just as processed and unhealthy as the rest of the store, it's just, as you mentioned, lacking an ingredient. I buy my foods from farmers (no, it's not more expensive to eat this way) and my gluten free foods I make from scratch. Eating from grocery stores... well, you might as well heap candy on your plate; it's not much healthier.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it's because organic ingredients are not as massed produced as the regular types, and that results in lower profit for the producers which means they have to increase the price to compensate. I could be wrong, but if I'm not, I think it's understandable, and it's nice that we still have the option at least.

4. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    It's nice to have that option but it's also nice to know that we are forced to buy food that simply loaded with preservatives and chemicals. And Josie that is amazing, I guess you are out in the country where access to farming is easier to reach. I agree, the foods are no more healthier than the processed packaged foods that are offered to kids in colorful packaging. I wish it was as easy as getting all of our foods from farms. Luckily I live in a place where food is always fresh and packaged foods are noticeably more tasteless since we have more fresh food!

5. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Organic food is priced higher because of the low number of farmers producing this type of edible and the methods used to grow it. These two factors impact the cost of organic food. Then, there is also 'branding'. Grocers know that people expect to pay more for organic food, so they mark up the prices.

See:

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually no, I live in a very large city lol. Farms are never that far and many will make the trip for you, free of charge or for a small fee depending on how they work. I would drive forever to support them and bring them back to where they belong.. totally running the food industry show again. Big business has no place in it, it's heart breaking.

7. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I think organic production takes longer because it doesn't use artificial stuff that makes vegetables and animals grow faster. Taking longer it's of course more expensive. Organic it is the nature's way, while all other production is totally artificial, it looks like food, but most of that food was made in a lab with much lesser costs, so there you go.

8. AliDee

AliDeeMember

Threads:
    Food prices reflect the costs of growing, harvesting, transportation, storage, processing and packaging. To be certified organic food must meet stricter regulations that govern all these steps in the process. Organic food production is usually more labour and management intensive and happens on a smaller scale ie on smaller farms which lack the benefit of economy of scale. All this makes organic food more expensive than conventionally farmed food. But this is only if we don’t look at the true cost of food production.

9. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I think the main reason is lower yields in the farms, although demand is a factor, as there is more demand, supply will eventually increase and it should even out, leaving only the yields to determine the price vs conventionally farmed foods.

10. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    This makes sense but then again why are they slowly getting rid of farms since the demand is higher? I know this wasn't part of the question but it's more of the common sense of the people that produce these things. I think farmed foods are so much more needed than these factories that do nothing but produce artificial foods that are causing our health to get worse and worse. Yet they make these unhealthy foods cost much higher than real food! It's really too bad how things work in the food industry.

11. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    This is a great thread, because I have never understood why this was the case as well. Now I understand it is because of the demand for the organic food huh? Well that makes sense.

12. eg0mez

eg0mezMember

Threads:
    Well growing organic food is way different than genetically modified food. They have to be taken care of more and certain specifications have to be met in order to be certified organic. At the end of the day you can say organic is better quality food not in looks, but in taste.:)

13. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    In order for a farm to be certified as organic, there are certain standards that have to be met during the growing process, but there are also a lot of things about the ground itself that need to be done. Non certified pesticides and fertilizers must not have been used on the farm for a period preceding the certifications. This means that there are a limited number of farms capable of producing the organic foods. This will continue to keep the supply low in spite of the increasing demand. Right now, the market is such that organic farmers are probably making a comfortable profit because of the certification standards.
    Just a comment about the low yields. Yes this is another big factor in keeping the supply low. If the majority of the farms on the planet were to go organic, food would be in short supply everywhere and I am not sure that the supply could support the current population of earth.

14. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    Organic food is more expensive because it takes a lot more money to grow produce organically. The fertilizers cost more, you can't spray for bugs, ... The biggest cost is keeping your plants healthy.

15. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    I am a big supporter of organic food; I get as much of my fruits and vegetables locally as I can. I also grow a few vegetables myself. There are various reasons that organic food is more expensive. Since chemicals are not suppose to be used during the production of crops, there is more labour needed. The production of organic produce is found on a very small fraction of the current farming land. The demand for organic food is in fact there, it's harder for them to keep up with the demand. I would have to say that the biggest cost difference comes from all of the certification and testing that is done on organic crops. The farmers can not absorb those costs; it is put into the price of the food.

16. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    There are two reasons really. Lower yield in the field, which means you are still paying the same per acre of produce, but that you will get less for that money. Also there is a markup as quality is higher and there is greater demand for it relatively than there is for non-organic foodstuffs.