Why is shipping so expensive?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by andrew320 • Jul 19, 2012.

1. vjykmr89

vjykmr89Member

Threads:
    Shipping and Handling costs have always been money makers for the internet industries. They really do rip people off because the cost of shipping and handling are much lower than the cost of the brick and mortar stores, so we really shouldn't pay anything. I always look for coupon codes when shopping online, and try to avoid any shipping fees.

2. gabcot

gabcotNew Member

Threads:
    One of my guest is the import fees/taxes. If the item is only a penny, a 8-10% taxe would be less than a penny. Also it attracts buyer because they think the item is less expensive.

3. bsthebenster

bsthebensterNew Member

Threads:
    Different places will change different amounts to cover the cost of packaging along with the actual cost of shipping. A business needs to make money to pay for the packing time of the purchase so you parcel arrives intact. If a purchase arrives damaged that can give the company a bad review, most company's will charge extra to spend a little more time packing to avoid a bad review.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shipping makes the items expensive because of the distance it travels. A few months ago I bought an item that is worth 1,000 pesos but since it is imported, the shipping cost was 400 pesos. That's about 40% of the cost. I understand that imported products are costly primarily because of the shipping costs and also the customs tax.

5. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Shipping is expensive that's true as a tourist I get anger while I have to pay lot of money from my saving. I felt they don't want us to buy a ticket of their ship. But one the other side, while i saw the expenses of ships and where they have to pay.... Yeah where they have to pay like huge machinery items, to their staff and other corners, felt that they are fair and giving us a relief and want to make it easy for us. So In short shipping is expensive because it has lots of expenses.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I understand that shipping and handling fees have always really been how internet industries have made up their earnings for their services. But at the end of the day, if the shipping fee is ridiculous to me, then I will pass on the item, and have passed on numerous items in the past when the shipping fees have been much too high, instead opting to get the item from a place with more reasonable shipping fees.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, it's been a while since I bought a book on Amazon, but when I have it seemed all of the books were shipping for $3.99 each. I guess that has changed, which is disappointing, if so.

Alternatively, I just finished printing out shipping for a tiny package of less than 2 ounces. I calculated it two different ways, both shipping USPS first class parcel, but one was directly through PayPal, and the other was through the site where I have my shop, that claims to offer discounted shipping. I would have paid almost an extra dollar if I'd paid for the shipping through the shop site. Remember, this is a small package, less than 2 ounces. By the way, I ate the cost of the shipping, since I had offered free shipping on the item listing.

Shipping costs have gone up recently, and I really need to go in and change all of my listings from free shipping to calculated shipping, so I'm not taking a loss on sales. Not everyone overcharges for shipping, but it's important to realize that shipping involves more than a label. It also involves the cost of ink, paper, envelopes or boxes, packing materials, etc.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm not sure but I think it's because gas is expensive. It probably doesn't hit us that much as consumers since we are only buying small items and seeing everything that goes into it in small portions. I bet if we saw the big picture of how everything really moves we can appreciate the price a lot more, even though we would probably still consider it too high of a price. Hopefully in the future technology will improve to the point where it gets very cheap to ship items.

9. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I'd love to see an infographic of what is involved in shipping and shipping costs. I tried to call the USPS (United States Postal Service) earlier to discuss an issue, and was told the wait time was over an hour. What kind of customer service is that, particularly considering I've already wasted about 2 hours of my life dealing with the same issue, with no resolution.

On another note, do y'all think the use of delivery drones would decrease or increase shipping costs?

10. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't know why they charge to much for shipping. That's what kills me, and is the main reason why I rarely ever shop online. I have to really fall in love with something to order it online and go through shipping and handling costs.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think the cost will probably stay the same, but the advantages might be that our products can arrive faster or even safer. I'm not an expert by any means, but my guess is that even when they switch to drones and has won't be needed anymore for deliveries, they probably would still need to pay a lot for electricity or whatever drones run on, and apart from that they probably would still need to pay for maintenance and not to mention insurance since I'm guessing the drones they will be using will most likely be higher than consumer grade which makes it a lot more expensive.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A number of sellers offer free shipping as an incentive to get you to spend more money. If you spend over $35 odds are you are more likely to get free shipping so it's always better to shop when you know your purchases will be over $35 if saving money is your goal. If you got friends who regularly shop online you could buy what you need a a group so you can take advantage of such [free shipping] offers.

13. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not sure about this, other than the fact that everyone involved in paid. Those that pull the order, the delivery company, the truck packers and their supervisors, the truck mechanics, and finally the travel fees to come to your home. With all of those people involved in the process the cost of shipping is a bit more understandable.

14. Diane Lane

Threads:
    This is a good idea. I used to do this with my mom and sister when I lived back home. It's more difficult these days, since my friends don't live nearby for the most part, and the ones who do live fairly close don't buy the same types of items. We used to do this with purchasing a large lot of items back when my family was larger, and then would split it up among the family members, since there are often discounts when purchasing in bulk. As stated elsewhere though, nowadays it's important to verify that the price is cheaper, since some companies seem to be taking advantage of the belief that buying more means it's cheaper, and have increased the prices on some larger volume packages.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm just glad that my favourite online stores don't charge for shipping, otherwise I'd be in trouble, being halfway around the world from them! It must cost them a small fortune not to charge because obviously someone has to cover those fees. But I'm not complaining :)

16. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    Because of heinous shipping costs, I decided to get an Amazon Prime membership. I don't see why shipping has to be so expensive. The fact that there's a paid service to reduce shipping costs is kind of ridiculous. Hopefully alternative fuels will prove to be cheaper, more effective, and reduce shipping costs.

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are not just paying for the cost of shipping the item. You are also paying for the cost of the labor to put the item in the envelope which cost money and the cost to get the item to the shipper. I mailed an item and charged more than the cost of the envelope because I had to take me time to go to the post office and mail the item and get the envelope from the store.