Why isn't Land's End more successful?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by andrew320 • Jun 25, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I discovered Land's End about a year or so ago. There used to be several of its stores across Canada, but suddenly disappeared to my now much dismay. I visited its website on Friday and I found tremendous clothes for men, women and children for reasonable prices. They have divine men's sweaters for $12 and fantastic dresses for women for $20.

Now, my question is: why isn't this store more successful, especially in Canada? My guess is that it's quite conservative and it's not "hip" enough for those between 8 and 35. Don't people of that age enjoy faded and ripped jeans with paint on them that cost $120?

I've noticed that Land's End does sell some of that and, you know what? I'd guess it's their most popular item, unfortunately.

Do you shop there? Do you like it?

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Um? Who told you that Land's End wasn't successful? They are one of the steadiest and increasingly growing brand within the Sears Holding Corporation and they are doing it without a lot of commercials. They may have closed the stores in Canada, but I don't recall them ever having stand alone stores in the States, but they do have a lot of real estate in the average Sears.

It is pretty successful from what I can see.

3. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    For me it's exactly what you said about it not being hip enough though I wouldn't put it quite that way- I don't think I'm hip at all and don't pretend to be, in clothing or otherwise! However, how I always think of Land's End (and how I still perceive it now, having just gone to their website) is that while their clothing is nice, it is stuff my mom would wear. It actually is pretty 'hip,' in my opinion, for someone in their 40's or so, but for someone my age I'd just feel funny wearing their clothing. There's nothing wrong with it, but it is not the kind of clothes people my age wear, at least not where I live. We're not dressed in Forever 21 anymore, either, but there's a nice middle place for 20 and 30 somethings.

I will definitely consider Lands End in 10 years or so, though. It seems to be very high quality, and I do enjoy their styles- I just don't think they are for someone my age, hip or not.

4. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    They are a great company and very successful. They are just being phased into some of their parent stores. However, you may have to order off of their site because they did consolidate some of their stores down which were not performing for them.

5. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's not that they're not successful. It's just that they have a very understated style, so people who are into that (like my mother) will find them, even though more trendy, edgy brands will obviously be louder and advertise more boldly.