Why the poor quality?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Jatelo2 • Feb 11, 2013.

1. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Whenever I watch TV series they show more clarity than when I play them from a DVD. What might be the cause of the quality difference? Or am I a victim of pirated DVD copies?

Anybody who's detected similar problem?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's possible you're watching pirated copies. Sometimes people will compress movies and shows down to just under 700mb so they will fit on a standard CD. These CD's otherwise known as VCD's will play on most DVD players. If someone downloaded one of these and burned it to a DVD and printed out some fake packaging - that could be the case.

Have you tried renting a DVD from a place like Blockbuster or Redbox to see if those are playing fine as well?

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    DVD has video resolution of 480p, while most TV stations show their shows in 1080p. In other words, you are watching movies on inferior, obsolete medium and comparing it to newer one, so there will of course be quality loss. It's like comparing DVD to VHS.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you watch from a computer I'm certain the the culprit is the video card of your pc, you need to upgrade it to be able to watch them with fine clarity. I tried to watch my original DVD's here in our pc and the pictures look like pirated quality, like they're a bit blurry. But when I watch them using our DVD player on our tv, the picture quality is very fine.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No. Just no. That's not how this works. Stop.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well if that's not the case then I apologize to the thread starter because that's what the person from Yahoo Answers told me when I posted the same question months ago. Anyway, here are some helpful links as to why DVD's get blurry when watching them on your pc: