Why The Stigma Against Certain Ways Of Saving Money?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Zyni • Feb 14, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So, this site is loaded with people who want to save money, as the name says: Don't Pay Full. So, we all look for and share ways to avoid paying full price for stuff. Yet, some people on here who are pretty.. frugal, will turn their noses up at other ways of saving money. I don't get it.

Most people in the thread about engagement rings would not take a used one. Many of those same people would buy other used products.

In another thread, I saw people saying they'd never buy food at Dollar Tree, yet some of that food is the very same brand that is sold at "regular" stores for three times as much. Hint: no one has to know you bought it at Dollar Tree if you don't want them to know.

So, I guess I'm just saying I'd rather save money than worry about the "stigma" of having saved some money because of where I bought my items.

I really don't get it.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well people are inconsistent with their ideas, you know that. Everyone is going to have ideas about where they draw the line when it comes to saving. I mean some people would buy underwear at a thriftshop for instance, while others wouldn't dream of it. Some put unused restaurant ketchup packs into a bottle where others wouldn.;t. How you save money is an individual choice. I think there are things most people can agree on that are good ways to save though.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is a stigma as some look at you as if you are cheap and unsophisticated. I recall a time where my ex-landlady wanted some Yard/garage sale signs and she went to Staples and bought two at $5 each. I went to Dollar Tree which she turned her nose up at me and said she would meet me in Target. I found big red signs, exactly what she wanted and bought her two at $1 each.

She quickly took back the Staples items (next door) and went into Dollar Tree and bought a few extra. I had to say 'I told you so' and she had to admit she was wrong. These days cheap doesn't mean bad quality, and more expensive doesn't mean better quality. I used to sell face creams for $500 a jar (I sold 3 of them), and while it was good, there are cheaper creams that are as good.

4. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I think in most part for many people the stigma is fading. I know when I was growing up, it was not "cool" to have clothes from the thrift shop or from a discount store. Name brand was very big and you were looked down upon if you did not have the "cool" clothes. Of course, I was not very popular in high school for this reason. Now it is the "in" thing to find clothes and accessories at the local thrift store. I do not think that where you buy your food should matter one bit. It does not make you who you are or signify whether you are a good person or not. I love saving money and I will go to the dollar store to say a couple of bucks if I need to.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My mother made all of our clothes exception with underclothes, socks, etc. when we were little and there would be unbecoming looks given when she had proudly told them that she made them herself. There is stigma in every thing that's different from another person's perspective. I remember the Goodwill commercials that broke through that stigma too. Now I see people that I never thought I would see in secondhand and dollar stores. Some even avoid Walmart!?

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon You make some very good points here. It's true that we all have our own "line in the sand," so to speak. There are things I won't do as well.

I guess my biggest issues are the gross factor (like used underwear). I mean, germs are an issue. A ring doesn't have that problem, but I think that is one that can be chalked up to superstition. Paying more for the same exact item at a different store though? I don't get that at all.

To each his own, of course. I won't tell people what to do. I just wanted to understand better. Thanks for putting it into perspective.

#6Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2017
  7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    @Zyni@Zyni The stigma against used rings is reasonable. Basically, buying used is saying your romantic partner isn't worth the best.

Certain personality types only want the best. They want the best clothes, the best cars etc.. For instance, they might only buy clothes are stores like American Eagle and only buy cars which are the same as or similar to a BMW.

Anyhow, myself, I like the best in some things, but for other things, I might accept an alternative that is lower in quality.

#7Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2017