Why you might want to switch to an online bank

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by sir save a lot • Oct 8, 2012.

1. sir save a lot

sir save a lotNew Member

Threads:
    One of the best tricks for saving money is to not spend it in the first place. A few online banks (Ally is the one I use) offer some perks normally reserved for the rich and famous. Free interest checking, free bill pay and no minimum balance for starters. They also offer better rates then almost any bank in town on things like loans and CD's. The thing I like the most is I can open a CD with no minimum amount. Now you don't get the same rate as if you have thousands, but anything beats the low savings rate you get these days.

Another nice thing is some of them are open 24/7/365. As far as I can tell most banks seem to be open to work around the schedule of only two classes of person. The unemployed and bank robbers. ;)

I am sure there are a few more out there, but here are two that I know of. If you know of any more with good perks, please post and let me know about them.

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some banks in my country offer online banking in addition to the regular account that you have opened. This permits the client to make transactions online and monitor their cash balance online. Online banking really makes it more convenient on the part of the client.

3. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I switched to online banking for one reason only - easiness! I can control virtually everything from my PC, which seen as my nearest bank is in the Town centre, a good 20 minutes walk away, it really helps me out if I need to transfer money quickly. I have also found it easier to keep an eye on my finances since switching over to online banking - so I am more accountable.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have accounts with ING Direct. At one time, ING offered great interest on their savings account. Now, not so much. My overall experience with them has been positive. I also just to have a checking and savings account with Citibank Online. It was separate from the branch banks. The service was beyond terrible. It was a nightmare!

5. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    I use a bank that only has locations in Virginia and here in North Carolina. They have free checking, free online banking, free first set of check, no monthly maintenance fees, and I love it. I've had no problems with them at all and the people who work at each branch are kind and courteous. I used to bank at BB&T before they enacted a mandatory monthly maintenance fee if you didn't keep a certain balance. It was a ripoff so I left them.

6. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    I started using online banking several years ago. I think it is great. It is easy and convenient and I can check my balance and I can pay bills. I can move money from one account to another. My close friend does not use online banking because of security concerns. For me I have to say it is so much easier and keeps me informed. Oh and for me it was not a switch situation, it was an 'add' situation.
    Ryder13

#6Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  7. mnicole

mnicoleMember

Threads:
    i had a bank account with first internet bank for awhile didn't have any problems with them just wasnt easy to access my money the way i wanted.

8. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I had an account with an online bank before but I found it difficult to work through issues with them. I suppose since requests and disputes are usually made through email or chat we are so very open to misinterpretation. I had to report once that an atm did not dispense any cash but that online it showed that there was a deduction in my balance. It took 5 months to clear it up. If it were a local bank it would have just taken at most 2 weeks.

9. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I have an online account as an add on to the traditional account. I don't have any perks with it, but I find it much easier to manage my money. Before I go on a shopping trip, I always check the balance, so I know how much I can spend. Previously, I'd take along a credit card 'just in case,' because I didn't want to run up an overdraft, but now I control my spending more.

Another advantage of online banking is that I've been able to stop all those 'minimum payment' credit card direct debits, because I can easily do a payment transfer and pay off as much as I can afford, rather than the minimum. I do the payments on the first of each month, so I don't forget and get hit with late payment charges.

10. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to have an online bank account. I make all of my money online, so it wouldn't be a problem as long as I could transfer it from Paypal. Currently, I don't use my bank account at all. Instead, I just use my Paypal debit card, but there are definitely perks to having a good bank.

11. jilliansorenson

jilliansorensonNew Member

Threads:
    I currently use Wells Fargo, but I have been thinking about switching to an online bank or at least adding one. I'm just scared it won't be as easy to access the funds, where do you go to withdraw cash? Are there ATMs for online banks? I've been considering ING Direct, but I haven't really researched it enough.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too. When I worked for ChaCha, I used to have a First Internet Bank account. But once they changed to paying us by Paypal, I couldn't see any reason to keep the online bank account when I have two offline ones.