Wifi keeps disconnecting?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Squigly • Nov 4, 2014.

1. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I have a 2 year old router that tends to disconnect randomly if I leave it running for a few days. I have to reset the router every time, and for the first 24 hours or so it runs perfectly with no issues. At first I thought the problem might be overheating, but placing a fan beside it has had no effect. Are there any other issues at fault, or should I just buy a new router? :(

2. Saji

SajiNew Member

Threads:
    I suggest that you buy a new router as old routers tend to malfunction (like mine did). If you use windows 8, it might be the OS that disconnects you from the internet. Go to the Power Options -> Battery Profiles (Choose a profile) -> Advanced Settings -> Change adapter power savings to high performance. Do this for all the profiles that you have and you should be fine.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    When I had Time Warner Cable, one of the technicians mentioned to me that I should replace my router every couple years since they tend to go bad over time. I've had my most recent router though for nearly 10 years and it's still working fine. But my brothers router started to go bad, and he had to replace his about a year ago. Otherwise we all kept losing our internet connections regularly too.

Another possible issue is if you live near some other people who are on the same channel as you. In your router control panel, you can select a different channel to broadcast your WiFi signal on - sort of like you can with the old Wireless home phone systems. It's worth a try at least, before you go invest in a new router.

You may also want to check your WiFi settings and make sure you aren't set to auto connect to the next available WiFi connection, just your own.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Before you replace your router, try upgrading the firmware on your existing router. If the firmware is even outdated by a couple versions, you could experience problems. Doing these updates will often breathe new life into your router and fix most issues. If an update isn't available or doesn't fix your issues, then it's definitely time to buy a new router.

5. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    That does certainly sounds like a hardware problem, especially if you noticed that it has started recently. As mentioned before, a firmware update may be in place as sometimes they add minor patches that fix large problems like this. Another thing to make sure of is that your router can handle the workload you're giving it, and that it's not overheating as that can cause it to slow and shut down.

6. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I personally would take the router back to where you got it and trade it for another one. If you're already having that much trouble upfront, I'd hate to say it but your router isn't going to last. I've had my router for 7 years now and its going strong still. I do plan to upgrade come the first of the year, though.

7. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    What I have found is that products made with a certain quality will show in their longevity. If a router can't even last five years then I would say that is was made poorly. My old router from 2004 still works just as good as the modem+router combo I have from my current ISP. The sad fact is that they are made cheaper so you can upgrade as needed from them.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    It may be the case. Just buy a new one it's pretty cheap your know but I'm guessing it's more because of heat but I'm not sure since routers don't really produce that much heat compared to any other gadgets so if it does produce more heat than anticipated it might be the cause.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've had a similar problem and I've looked it up and found that it could be due to a number of issues that is hard to pinpoint so you mostly just have to do trial and error. Overheating was one of the possible causes so it's good that you've already eliminated that as a possibility. I saw a good suggestion that you could use a timer that's usually used for garden equipment like sprinklers and outdoor lights that would allow you to set what time it should turn on and off and this way you could just plug your router into one and have it reset each day while you sleep.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have your router checked by technicians. Maybe it needs cleaning or you haven't set up the wire properly. Or maybe it isn't your router that's problematic, but your connection itself. Our router's been with us for 3 years now and it's working just fine. No issues so far. If the technician says it needs to be replaced, then you can go ahead with your original plan.

11. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely should have your router looked at. You could also call your ISP technical support and see what they have to say about it. They can help you with some of your router settings, it might just need to have the channel changed and things like that. But if it doesn't work, you should take the router back to where you purchased it. :p