Wii Fit

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by xcmiller93x • May 3, 2012.

1. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    Has anyone tried out the Wii Fit? Did you lose weight from it?

2. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I have tried it out. It is cool and quite a bit of fun too. Hard to say if I lost any weight though, that was not the aim and will just have my mom feeding me more food. It is lots of fun and I can see that if one want to lose weight and firm up - it is a definite (and fun) option!

3. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    I suppose if you are consistent in using "Wii Fit", you can lose weight. Not sure how substantial that would be, but it's definitely a respectable cardio workout.

As with all individuals wanting to trim fat, you have to eat healthy and in smaller portions.

I think it's a fun way of exercising. One of the few times where the gaming industry has tried to sway away from just pleasing couch potatoes. At least, there is an attempt to get people off their bums.

4. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Take it from someone who's tried it - regularly play Wii Fit and have a slimming diet in tandem with it and you'll lose weight, even by just a bit.

5. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    Yes,anything that motivates you to exercise will burn calories;how much weight you lose will of course depend on how hard and how often you do it.I've found Wii Fit is excellent for people who lack internal motivation and are also uncomfortable working out with other people,but even though I have neither of these two issues I still also enjoy wii Fit.

6. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    I would play it, but then it got boring to me cause it would be the same thing every day. I don't know. I wasn't very motivated. I think I will try to do it again this summer.

7. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I tried it and it feels so odd to workout in front of the TV.:D I think it would be good for a person who needs to lose weight, but for me I don't really need to lose weight. I'm so nervous when I play because I don't want to break my TV. I've seen some videos on YouTube and they broke their TV's from playing the Wii.

8. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    If you want something that's more motivating, how about Wii Sports? It's almost technically the same thing.

Actually, if you play any Wii game that would require vigorous use of the Wiimote, I'm sure anyone would lose weight.

9. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I tried and my doctor had me use it for physical therapy. They have some great exercises and I really enjoyed using it. However, when I stopped with PT I have not used it much since, but I need to.

10. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    There have been various studies on the Wii model and all of them have conflicting results. I tend to believe that it can help you lose weight because you're actually participating in rigorous activities. If I ever have a kid (let's hope not), and he or she is dying for a video game console, I'm going to highly discourage it, but if I cave in I will purchase this Wii device so they're physically active.

I'm also positive if you compare weight loss between the Wii and the PS2, you'll definitely see wide margins of weight loss vs. weight gain.

11. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I've tried it, but I got bored after a couple of rounds. I suggest you try Wii sports, it's more challenging, more fun and stimulating too. I guarantee you'll burn fat, just choose the more strenuous sport to play.

12. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I think this is a brilliant way to get those who need to be active actually doing something. For those who already have an active lifestyle and a healthy diet this seems like a waste because they are much more active than what they could ever be in front of the tv but unfortunately today's youth and elderly aren't doing too well in the physical training aspect of their lives. Irresponsible eating habits and lazy "couch potatoe" days amount to obesity and lack of heart health. This is a great system for those who just cant get enough play time with their consoles and for the older crowd who really doesn't feel like being ridiculed at a gym by younger healthier people or have to workout at a senior center with all the other elderly which can make you feel pretty depressed. As long as you are active and have healthy eating habits this is a very fun way to keep yourself at least moderately active and in shape. Not the best way for all of us but absolutely a step in the right direction.

13. Imoverthere

ImoverthereMember

Threads:
    I tried out the Wii Fit before and it is a fun way to work out and get that much more healthy with it. The more time you spend on it, the more features are available as you unlock them through the amount of time completed in exercising. There are three main categories that you play through: Yoga, Exercise, and Cardio. With Yoga, you do stretches and positions that helps your body become more flexible, exercise focuses a bit more on muscular work and growth, while cardio gets your heart pumping with the games. There are also balance games that works on how well you can balance and control that balance.

14. DontFan

DontFanMember

Threads:
    I tried it and liked it but I am not looking at loosing weight (i am thin enough..) and I much rather go to my local club for kickboxing and teakwondo. Nothing like reality when it comes to sport !!

15. neovlad

neovladMember

Threads:
    It is useless like all those other video game lose weight things if you really want to lose weight then you should just go to the gym. Wii fit doesnt allow you to move alot anyways and without moving it is hard to lose weight.

16. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried it and didn't lose anything. I get really bored with it too...there should be like a lot more activities on it.

17. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    People claim to lose weight from the Fit, but I think that weight loss and conditioning has more to do with the condition people are in when they are playing it. I don't think you will get much out of WII FIT if you already work out regularly. If you are just getting back into fitness, it may help to build your endurance somewhat. It's all cardio, so however much you get out of it is going to depend on how much you put into it. I don't think you can reach your peak physical condition playing WII FIT though.

18. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    I love it. I did lose over 45 pounds with it. It takes a little time, but worth it in the end. I have also used some of the exercise for physical therapy after knee surgery. It's a fabulous product and doesn't feel like work. I suggest it to everyone.

19. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried it. However, though, from simply looking at the situation as an observer, I think it can be a major bargain for fitness. Nonetheless, though, you'd have to be very dedicated, just like you'd have to be at a gym. Anyhow, I wouldn't really want to get involved in it. I'd rather use gyms and jogging to stay fit.

20. Ani_m

Ani_mMember

Threads:
    I've used it, but I would say consistency is key. And you have to pick at least one or two more intense routines like the run or stepping. We lost a few pounds and maintained with it. But we saw a bigger drop when my sister got the Zumba game. You will sweat, I hated the music though. There are other alternatives if you're interested, like Just Dance, but the song selection isn't so big. However, the Wii Fit is a great way to stay active.