Wii U's Value

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by lopezmramon • Jan 29, 2015.

1. lopezmramon

lopezmramonNew Member

Threads:
    Gamers know this story I'll tell, but most other people don't. Here goes:

The Wii U was a struggling piece of hardware that only played a few games at the start of 2014. They only had produced a dozen or two of games for the console, there were no sales of it, no one had one. To make matters worse for the console, its competitors XboxOne and PS4 Launched on 2013's Xmas season. Nintendo's console was about to be considered scrap material by early adopters and was already just that for most others.

But this 2014, its value was incredibly augmented. How? With great games. The system got:

Mario Kart 8 = The best looking and most fun yet in the series, with 60 FPS locked fun for the whole family.

Bayonetta 1 and 2 = For Hack and Slash - Action game lovers, a piece of art awared 10/10 on review sites

Smash Brothers = A famous and really fun fighting game.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker = Really fun puzzling, this game is underrated!

Super Mario 3D World was pretty good too, released in 2013

And many others. Metacritic awarded Nintendo as best developer of 2014, only developer to finish the year with over 75 average score on the site! The second one had 71, for comparison.

What's the best part about this system? The couch value. You can sit with 3 or more friends (Smash takes up to 8 fighters,60 FPS locked!) and have a blast for hours on end. I've had people who hadn't played a nintendo game since N64 play with me for 5 hours straight, cruising through Mario Kart and Smashing their way into Nintendo's software.

Any comments? Let's discuss! Which games did I forget?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Monolith Soft's X aka Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is another good Wii U title as well as Devil's Third by the head ninja Tomonobu Itagaki of Ninja Gaiden fame. I want a Wii U because they are picking up some great titles that the other two consoles didn't give a chance to, like Bayonetta 2.

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mean, I think the Wii U is probably the best console out there right now, but not thanks to Nintendo's efforts, not for me at least. The fact that Xbox One is a completely useless machine that is struggling to play the games it gets even now, a year into it's life cycle, and PS4 just plain doesn't have any good games is what makes me regard the Wii U as the best console. I'm not a fan of Nintendo otherwise, most of their titles are the EXACT SAME games with very minor tweaks (hi, Mario Kart), yet they somehow get the pass.

Honestly though, I would get one, if it wasn't for the awful region locking they have in place. I refuse to give them any money if this is how they treat their consumers.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, the Wii U is actually comparable in overall value and quality compared to the PS4 and Xbox One at this point. In a year where Sony and Microsoft had notable launch problems, Nintendo stepped in and produced incredible first-party content. It's a good time to be a Nintendo fan, although non-fans won't see the appeal unless they grab a console themselves.

5. lopezmramon

lopezmramonNew Member

Threads:
    Well, I'd recommend you to get one ! I know you're right. Their most succesful games are remakes or new versions of old games. Mario Kart 8 is. Smash Brothers is. Super Mario 3D World is. But... does that really matter? Isn't the fun what you want? An amazing day, playing with your friends, online or offline?

Most of what Nintendo does is sell through nostalgia. But hell, they do a great job at it! I can't stop myself from playing Smash Brothers or Mario Kart 8 .

Also the region lock isn't that much of an issue. Why do you have that as your impediment for buying a system?

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    "Does that really matter" well, when I can literally get the same game sans the graphics for like five bucks instead of buying a $300 system and a $60 game, yes, it kind of does. It means that I really see no point in investing money in it when I'm getting the same experience.

"Why do you have that as your impediment for buying a system?" Nintendo is known to screw with release dates in various regions or just skipping one of them for no real reason. And even if it wasn't, I wouldn't give them my money just to show that this isn't 1989 anymore, you can't pull that stuff and expect everyone to just bite.

7. lopezmramon

lopezmramonNew Member

Threads:
    Lol, the anger is real.

They're not the same games, trust me.

No comment, honestly... You don't seem very open for discussion. I hope you have a nice day, though!

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Discussion about what, exactly? The company being anti-consumer? Yeah, I'm not, and I won't be. No one will buy two consoles just so they can play the games they want to play, it'll come and bite them in the ass soon enough.