Will book shops become obsolete?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by sarz • Oct 14, 2014.

1. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I think that what with eBooks becoming more and more popular and cheaper that eventually they will become a thing of the past. I hope it doesn't happen but they are already closing one by one. Waterstones is the only largish book store that is still open and from what iv read in newspapers recently even they are struggling. Personally I prefer books to eReaders, but I can see how they are more convenient. Also if books disappear, what are we going to do with all our bookshelves? :p

2. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    If regular books cost the same as ebooks then I would always prefer the regular books. With the digital age, I'm think that books will be obsolete but not totally gone from the circulation. Just the like the old vynil records, they were almost gone but I still know some people who still collect them. Now they are slowly getting back in circulation.

For me, I think some of the books, like school text books will be gone or will be replaced by ebooks in the near future because of costs and convenience. But for the novels/fiction story books, etc.. I don't think it will ever be obsolete. I know a lot of people collect them too like they do with stamps or old coins. :D

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I think so. As most people are switching over to Kindle readers, it's just so much easier to shop for books on your reader and immediately download it. While I always enjoy the process of going to a bookstore and looking for a new book, it's not something I've done very much in the last few years because I've just downloaded exactly what I want from my reader and gotten the book at a cheaper price. It's just hard to beat something that's cheaper and more convenient for people.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yes it will but I don't think it would be anytime soon. More people still prefer reading physical books rather than having to carry around tablets or maybe squint just to read their favorite book on their phones. Also, physical books are really expensive. Compared to the prices, you can buy 3 eBooks for the price of a single physical book so it's not really that convenient at all.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think so. If that were the case, why are there still antique shops wherever we go? It's because no matter how old or "obsolete" something might become, we still place value upon it. In fact, just like antiques, the price of rare books might go up. The more celebrated the author, the more expensive the book.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it will be more difficult for book shops to stay open, especially smaller ones which is why they have a coffee shop in them, book reading events and also author signings. They are competing not only with e-books but online sales which can cut the price. Books are not discounted with 3 for 2 or buy one get one half price offers to get people to buy more.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't actually think that book stores will become obsolete. I still know many people who enjoy nothing more than going for a unhurried walk around a book store, just choosing out the books that they would like to read, and flicking through them. It is a physical thing that they enjoy. They love to let the pages flit over their fingertips. Just like in libraries. Internet shopping has made buying books convenient, but it is a whole other intimate experience when you can touch the book and hold it in your hand.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not everyone reads ebooks. That in itself is the one thing that will keep bookshops in business.

Third world countries are yet to fully embrace technology. It will take time for many people living in those countries to go "digital" so those who sell books there will be in business for a long time.

That by no means implies that nothing will change. Some bookshops WILL close down but there are a number of those that will "stay in the game" as it were and they'll make good cash since they won't have many competitors.

9. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Oh boy I hope not. I love e-books but I love real books way more. But the sad reality is that bookstores are in a very bad place right now, what with the increasing rent and digital products becoming the norm. I even remember reading Barnes & Noble closing 40 stores the past two years.

10. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    not yet. I recently was trying to find old images of our city and so one of my colleage told me to buy a popular book where the history of our city where told since time before we were colonized. and I was surprised about what we actualy practise back then since its very much differeng nowadays. the images and why streetnames were named as what it is up to now.

books are still useful specially for the history. old books were never published online.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope. Books will always have a place in the world, same as everything else physical. You don't see CD albums, DVD/BluRay movies or physical comic books dying, do you? Physical has both its cons and pros, but it will never become obsolete, same as anything else. :) Not to mention that eBooks don't have the freedom of distribution classic press and books do, which is a big thing.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I also think that this is inevitable, but I'm hoping that it won't happen because I still prefer reading physical books even though having digital copies is much more convenient. I think reading on paper adds a bit more to the experience, but that might just be my old ways talking. This will probably happen in a few generations wherein kids won't be raised using paper as much anymore and thus they wouldn't see it as important to do so.

13. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Large chain bookstores will become obsolete in my opinion. I think the local bookstore will be able to hang on, but mainly in the larger cities. I don't see many people driving too far out of their way to go to the bookstore in smaller cities. It's a shame as I used to love to browse in a bookstore, but unfortunately, they allowed people to go way too far with that and they were simply reading the books. That was one of the main reasons why I stopped buying as many physical books, they had been read over and they were disgusting looking to me.

14. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    The current trend of the world is shifting tip to ebooks so I really would not be surprised if I heard that bookshops don't exist in a certain part of the world, lol, but to be more practical, it is next to impossible, for book shops to be obsolete, one of the biggest Industries in the world is the print Industry, and I don't thinktthat e-books can override that industry so quickly and easily, I think that despite the current trend, book shops will live on, and the two shall live in harmony.

15. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    No. Not every one gets an eBook. There are still some people who buy actual books. Though they are a bit more expensive, I feel really happy when I am holding book. :) This is the reason why I don't think that bookshops will become obsolete.

16. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I can see this sad event you're foretelling becoming true. Personally, due to my eyes and a few other things, I prefer regular books- however the world of ebooks is quickly taking over. To a regular book's credit, they don't require a battery that requires charging, but it is one of the few merits a normal book holds over an ebook. Sadly, I see regular books slowly being taken over much like VHS tapes were taken by DVDs. No one thought it would actually happen at the time, but it did.

17. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    While I think standard bookstores are starting to lose their businesses, it would sadden me greatly to see these types of stores disappear from the world. I am not a huge fan of e-books and I love spending time in stores that sell standard paper books. I feel like there is something magical about them.. like something in there is just meant for you and you just have to find it. I know that sounds cheesy. Literally though, I can spend hours and hours just looking around a big store like Barnes and Noble.

18. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really hope not. In the past few years, many large bookstores closed in my area. There is only one bookstore in my area of Los Angeles. The smaller niche bookstores seem to be hanging on. One of the biggest metaphysical bookstores in the US closed a couple of years ago. A few smaller metaphysical stores are still around.

19. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Book stores have technically been obsolete ever since e-books were created. However, book stores and physical books won't disappear anytime soon because millions of people still prefer them over ebooks. Plus, tablets and e-readers can't yet mimic the look of text printed on actual paper, and these tech devices often cause eye strain for readers unlike books in a properly lit room. They're not disappearing within the next 10 years, that's for sure. In fact, independent book stores are actually on the rise once again throughout the country.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think they will not become obsolete, but only less popular. Because ebooks have been around for so long, yet most large bookstores are still in business. I actually don't buy books anymore unless I can't find an ebook version of it online.