Will E-Books Soon Have Software Limitations?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by writer811 • Jun 25, 2012.

1. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    Hey, everyone. I've heard rumors lately that E-Books are going to have limits and hidden functions in their software soon to protect from piracy. I've heard that they'll familiarize themselves with your computer so they can't be put on another one or transported via flashdrive. I've also heard that there is going to be a time limit on how long you can keep the E-Book. Once your alotted time is up, it self-destructs. Have you heard or do you know anything about this? Does this seem ethical or moral to you?

2. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I have a printer that is really good at scanning books. My printer is common. Therefore I don't care, because the way I see it just as there are free mp3s on the net there will be free e-books. And in fact I have never bought an e-book. Every e-book I have is free and I got it off the web. So yeah I don't care.

3. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I have no problem with more privacy issues so people don't give them away. But I would have a problem with them self-destructing. If I purchase a book, I want to keep it forever! I would love to see some way to buy a real book and get the e-book as well.

4. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, they can try but they won't succeed.

Some years back, the music industry was trying to do something similar with cds and dvds. I think Disney even tried dvds which were sold very cheaply but self-destructed after some time. Nothing worked. What these people forget is that there are more people in cyber space who are good at unlocking things than there are people who are good at locking stuff.

Just think of it this way. If the banks can be hacked, what chance does an eBook have?

5. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Whatever "protection" they may put in e-Books, one way or another a bunch of people will find a way to break through such a barrier. Give hackers and such a couple of months, and they'll be able to crack it.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also have no problem with most of security precautions except for the destruction of the ebook. If I paid money for it, it's mine. I also don't like the idea of not being able to put in on a flash drive. I like to have my files portable. It's doesn't mean that I'm stealing them. Geesh.

7. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    I agree. I don't like these new measures. They're too limiting. Yeah, they can be used for illegal purposes but they also have many legal uses so why limit them? I get that the hackers will be able to get around these but what about us who aren't very computer savy?