Will Online Shopping Dominate In-store Shopping?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by explorerx7 • Jun 28, 2016.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Online shopping has really caught on and is rapidly expanding over the years. We have seen where a few location shopping entities have had to close some outlets because of competition from some of the huge online shopping Conglomerates.There are advantages and disadvantages to both types of shopping activities.
    Online shopping entities may be able to offer lower prices because of lower overhead costs, however, many people are skeptical of using their credit cards in this manner because of the prevalence of credit card fraud and that many times they may be some disappointment when the goods are delivered.
    In-store shopping allows the buyer to able to examine the goods before purchase and if the goods are found to be defective upon delivery, it's much easier to return compared to an online situation. The instore shopping may be involve traveling costs and be more time consuming than online; with online shopping, you can are able to stay at one location and access entities all around the globe. Bearing all the factors in mind, do you believe in-store shopping will remain to hold it's own or will online shopping eventually decimate it?

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It can be very convenient. It's still all about the pricing though. If online retailers can keep prices attractive even with shipping then it's a possibility if you ask me.

It could definitely dominate my shopping habits. Due to physical challenges, it's difficult for me to walk through stores, much less a mall. I would love to be able to do all or at least most of my shopping from home (I do still like to get out though).

I imagine it's preferred by those who have other issues as well, including social anxiety. It could work for people who just don't like pushy sales personnel too. ;)

If the shipping is free or cheap enough, it could cancel out the cost of gas for driving to stores. There are variables, but yes, I think online shopping can and will give stores big time competition even more in the future.

3. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I do not think that online shopping will ever completely take over retail store shopping because there are some products you just have to interact with before you buy them. I do think many stores will end up going out of business or only have a online presence at some point though.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Must stores are offering the choice to order an item online and pick it up in the store, which can save time for the consumer. I think will also reduce the number of employees the store will have in the future because often the item is not on the floor which reduces the need to stock the shelves. This can cause more stores to close their brick offline stores and only offer their products online.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think both will remain for it's for the convenience of the consumer that both exist and more. Delivery for house-bound people is another service that's is really catching on. It depends on what the consumer needs to me that will bring new services. Both online and brick and mortar are needed for not everyone has a computer nor wants to learn about using computers.

6. bipin

bipinNew Member

Threads:
    Online shopping is rapidly expanding all over the world. The main reason is heavy discounts available on every products and door step delivery. The online retailers provides many facilities to its users like home delivery, wide range of varieties, payment on installments and many more other services which normal retailers fail to provide. Other main reason is nowadays people want everything on their bed.

7. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that it has very much taken over already. I know that when I am shopping for occasions such as birthdays or Christmas, I always do a lot of my shopping online as it is easier to get bargains and it also means that the items are delivered straight to your door, which is very helpful. I don't think that I would ever want to go back to shopping purely in store now, as it just isn't as easy or convenient.

8. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    To be quite honest, I have never done any online shopping and I believe there are others out there who may echo these same sentiments. While lots of people have become accustomed to this type of shopping, there are others who still follow the old-time way of doing things. Having said that, I don't think that online shopping will eventually dominate in-store shopping. I believe there will be a balance between the two. I know that there are items that can be gotten at a more affordable price when shopping online and that is one of the reasons why people like to go this route.

The difference between online shopping and in-store shopping is that with online shopping you can never be sure of the product until it arrives on your doorstep and then if you have to return it, that can be more of a hassle than having to return an item that is bought in-store. When you buy in-store you can see the item that you are buying at first glance. You can try on an outfit and be sure of the fit, so you are less likely to make a mistake with the purchase.

Both online shopping and in-store shopping have their advantages. I doubt that online shopping will dominate in the future.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Although I believe online shopping has become more and more popular over the years and will probably grow to overtake the high street, I also believe the trend will level out at some point. I believe we'll see more and more stores offer online shopping, but then there are people out there who are very wary of shopping online. I think as the current young generation get older, we might see a switch; with online shopping becoming more popular than the high street. I think this may well mean a lot of businesses will then conduct more and more business online, with only a few stores remaining on the high street. Of course, this is purely speculation based on observing current trends.

10. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I like shopping online sometimes more than in the store. How convenient is it to just sit at home and type in what you want and then buy it so it gets delivered to your door. However, I do not like to buy clothing or shoes online since I like to be able to try them on before I buy them. I think that there is always going to be the need for brick and mortar stores since we always have something that we need quicker than having it delivered to you.

11. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I have to agree, I don't think it will ever take over, people just love going to stores to much, and online companies cannot offer a many things that regular store can.

There is just too much of a difference, and I would personally not want to see this happen. Now as far as sales, I don't care, but I wouldn't want people to stop building businesses in favor of online stores. You can't have an eat in restaurant online.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Online shopping can dominate the discount market for certain items like heavy goods because they don't have storage costs in town centers. However, not everyone shops online, and as thus it's not completely dominant.

Sectors like the seniors who prefer to shop in brick and mortar stores don't go online, and people that want to see the things before they buy them. Not everyone has credit or debit cards and prefer cash. Then there are fresh food markets, you can't buy these items well online at a cheap price.

13. johndee

johndeeMember

Threads:
    I would say that, online and instore shopping are two competing markets that will have to live side by side. This is because they both offer distinct advantages.

Online shopping is great when it comes to saving both time and money. One can easily find good deals from various outlets by just a click.

On the other hand, the thrill of going shopping at instores can never go away. Its quite fulfiling to physically assess items you want to buy, not to mention how refreshing it is when you have time.

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is predicted in one newspaper that in 10 years time, online shopping will eclipse in-store shopping. However, in-store shopping will still dominate the market during occasions particularly the Christmas season when it is enjoyable to go shopping to see the decorations and to hear the Christmas songs being played in the malls and other shopping centers. But people are realizing the convenience of online shopping because you save time and also the cost of transportation.

15. AgentD22

AgentD22New Member

Threads:
    I don't think regular stores will go out of business anytime soon, that market is way more flexible than say, TV providers, they are still able to change and make for a valid alternative to online shopping.

That being said, the fact we're thinking about it as a real possibility (Because, well, it is very much possible) it's crazy. It goes to show you that service and accommodation is the number one priority for the vast majority of costumers, just because people don't want to get out of their houses we've made online shopping HUGE. Something to ponder on, certainly.

16. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I do most of my retail shopping online. I doubt clothes stores will ever really go under because the internet though. Don't get me wrong, I have bought clothes online before, but it is very inconvenient when something doesn't fit like you wanted. The benefit that brick and mortar stores will always have is that you can see the product before you buy it whether that be an article of clothing or an appliance.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think both will continue to coexist for a very long time. As efficient and easy online shopping has gotten it still has a lot of flaws that I don't think will ever be corrected and also there are just some that probably will always prefer just buying something in a store. Most of the time when I buy online the box has a lot of imperfections due to the fact that most of these online stores are more about utility rather than luxury. As good as shipping has gotten I think you can't ensure quality as much as if you buy it and take it home yourself because no one will care about your purchase as much as you.

18. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I am pretty sure that it has already done some significant damage in the short time that it has been a viable option, and from all accounts there is no sign of anything stopping or slowing down in that direction, so I assume that we will continue to see it. Of course, there are products that you really cannot buy online, and clothes is the one that really comes to mind, and for those we will have to have some brick and mortar stores around, but they will dwindle. Times are changing, and we have to adapt.

19. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    My answer is YES. There are various reasons for the domination of online shopping, for example...
    People do not have time to visit the store in person and look for the items that want to buy.
    Storing products in warehouse and shipping directly to the customer is less costly than having a big store in prime location and selling products. This saves lot of money on rents and staff salary for the store owners.