Will Solar Power Become A Major Energy Source?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by explorerx7 • Apr 4, 2016.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Solar energy is free and safer than many of the other power sources, however, at the moment the means for harnessing it is very expensive. Many people wonder why has not there been a more serious effort to engage solar power which is very safe when compared to, say, nuclear power. When oil prices go up, there is heightened interest in solar energy but when oil prices stabilize to a comfortable level, then solar energy is now more very attractive. Makes me wonder if solar power will ever become a major energy source.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are laboratories in Germany what are trying to come up with a more efficient solar power design plus an efficient battery to boot for storing energy. In India right now, there are homes that are completely powered by solar panels and the Indian whom I met recently said that India had perfected the solar panel. I hope it's true because we are also awaiting for the new models of solar panels.

3. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to see solar polar utilized more in the area that I live in. If the initial cost of solar power was less expensive, I would utilize solar power to offset the electricity needs of my household. It would be great to see programs offered to help people with the initial costs of installing solar power to their home. An even bigger impact would be to see the larger energy companies utilize solar power to power the homes and businesses of larger areas. Hopefully we will see more utilization of this clean, economical energy source as time goes on.

4. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Well, Solar definitely would become a major source of power. Unfortunately it is not in the US or even in Europe that real work in that field is being done. The two main places for implementation are China and India. The US recently stopped India from going all solar via the international court. But, that is what a lot of countries will do because 70% of the livable land is between the tropics and that is also the part which receives the most sunlight. In fact, I believe that UAE is moving towards that direction fearing that they'd run out of oil in the next few decades. I just hope the world goes solar sooner rather than later. Blocking countries from going green does not help.

5. Jeff Y

Jeff YNew Member

Threads:
    I completely agree with you Prose. From what I understand, I think there are many companies out there who understand that many consumers do no have the capital for a large upfront cost. I recently spoke to SolarCity, who said they have many competitive and appealing leasing programs available.

The ability to offset my electricity needs and perhaps even give back into the grid is very appealing. The fact that I am helping the environment makes me feel like i'm making a difference.

What i am concerned with is the reliability of these systems. Sure they work just fine now, but what about 15 years from now, when you're still paying off these panels and they break? Would it be worth it then?

6. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I just bought garden solar lights with lifetime warranty. You can try a few. You can get those from Amazon if you want. The thing is, they cost less than $40 a piece and in terms of utility bills, these babies will pay themselves off. And if they don't work out, you can always replace them since there is a warranty.

For me, keeping the lights on around the perimeter is a must at night. So, replacing regular lights with these solar lights is a real boon. And they aren't that big in size either.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a neighbor here who has so many solar lights his driveway is lit up like a airport runway at night. It is kind of funny really. I like solar lights too. I think they are a great and affordable source of lighting. I just wish I could afford solar panels and solar appliances as we get plenty of sunlight here. It would be great to be able to effectively harness the power of the sun.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think there needs to be further breakthrough and discovery before it can be picked up completely for mass use. As it stands it's still just too much of a luxury item and it will only get the required attention to become a major source for mass consumption when there are new discoveries made that will make panels affordable and efficient. For now I think if they were to make any major impact it should have done so by now but there is still hope and I do believe that this is the most plausible alternative energy right now.

9. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    It is impossible, because Solar energy is a resource additional. At night, it is impossible to generate electricity. So, we need to use fossil fuels, nuclear power or hydroelectric. I would like to say that I support solar energy projects.

10. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It will be soon considered as the alternative source of fuel but not to substitute or replace the petroleum fuel. In our place we have to alternative sources of energy. The geothermal and the solar.

11. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    A few years ago then I would have had my doubts whether or not solar energy was a viable alternative to the more traditional forms of energy, but as the price of solar panels and other equipment as come down a lot, more and more people are starting to look at solar energy and I think that trend will only continue.

Here in the UK more and more homes are having solar panels fitted and while the initial cost of having them installed is still quite high, over the course of the years to follow you are going to be saving money by having them installed and they do make a big difference to the energy costs overall.

12. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    On the margin - solar will become the most important new source of energy in many countries. Especially in island nations and where the sun resource is great.

But in the context of overall global consumption of energy - 20 years is nothing. Coal, nuclear, natural gas, hydro, all dwarf the absolute production of solar.

But we have to start somewhere and if the global solar industry continues to grow 30-50% a year over 50 years it will serve the planet well.

13. AlexZ

AlexZMember

Threads:
    According to SunPower, in 2035 solar will still be <10% of power generation. The problem with the energy market is the sheer enormity of it, and the problem with solar is the relatively poor scalability due to the massive investments required in manufacturing capacity - over $2B per GW annual output.

14. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I first heard of solar power in the 1980s, I was hopeful that it can change the landscape of electric supply in our country. There was this company named Puckett Solar which was pioneering in solar power. Ironically, Robert Puckett, the owner is related to the Lopez clan which owns the electric provider here. But anyway, I was on the lookout for developments of solar power but until now I remain disappointed that solar power seems to be just a novelty. I still have to see a single house completely powered by solar panels.

From what I gathered, the main problem of solar power is the storing of collected energy. They still have to improve the battery.

15. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think solar power will become a major source of energy anytime soon, however, solar power can become a major energy source if this energy source is exploited. Installation of solar power is expensive, however, electricity generated after installation is almost free.

16. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Installation is expensive but maintenance is not. I am free from electric bills for 5 years. I do not need to worry about conserving energy because I have it for free. I also saved money from gas because I don't use gas stoves anymore. I cook with Electric cooking appliances likes electric stoves, Oven, microwave, Slow cooker and George Foreman grill.

I wanted to have an electric car soon so I will be free from the chains of the oil industry. I can simply charge an electric car with my solar panels.

17. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    Solar energy can be perceived as cheap but sometimes it's expensive and unreliable. Just because you don't pay the bills doesn't mean it's cheap. Some countries have winter seasons and during this time solar energy can't be relied on. Other regions don't receive enough solar radiation to supply solar energy. In my view, solar energy works best as a supplement for electricity and other sources of energy.

18. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Winter is a stupid excuse because Solar is becoming popular in Sweden and Solar Panels still work even if they are covered in snow and rain water. You don't need to live in a dessert or a tropical island to go full solar. Solar users in Canada just wipe away the snow every few hours.