Will Tablets replace Laptops?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by mikelouis • Mar 4, 2014.

1. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen how many people are buying tablets on a daily basis. I think it is the new hot thing in town but the thought of replacing the laptops is not possible. Laptops have been around for a long time and have never been able to replace Desktops but have equally shared the computing market. What d you think?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm a bit skeptical that this will happen, but it might. My personal findings on it, having used touchscreens that double as laptops via means for a keyboard dock, is that it's still a lot more comfortable to just reach for the touch pad which is near the keyboard as opposed to having to raise your arm to touch your monitor every single time. As for using tablets exclusively without the need for keyboards, I think that is still unlikely unless haptic feedback comes to fruition and works as well as it should. Until then, i think keyboards will still ultimately be a lot more comfortable to type on.

3. Batiatus

BatiatusMember

Threads:
    I don't think so. Each of them has its own advantages. I think that laptops and tablets have future.

4. Mina

MinaMember

Threads:
    I don't think Tablets are going to replace laptops because almost everyone who has a Tablet already owns a computer or a laptop, I can see even keyboard gadgets for Tablets. Tablets don't everything a laptop has, just like laptop doesn't have everything a desktop computer has.

5. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that tablets will replace Laptops. At least not any time soon although the tablets has the advantage of being handier when travelling. I personally prefer a Laptop as you can do more on it easily.

6. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, tablets would not be able to replace laptops in the near future. This is due to the reason that tablets are not the ideal device when you want to create content. They are only good for the consumption of content from various sources. Also, the tablets today are not as quite as powerful as the laptops in terms of speed and reliability.

7. CSomm

CSommMember

Threads:
    It is far more likely that laptops will replace desktops than tablets will replace laptops. Currently, laptops suffer from the inability to hold the same processing power as a desktop---tablets aren't even close to that, since they have roughly the same processing power as a smartphone. Ultimately I suspect that laptops will get compact enough that a tablet/laptop hybrid will emerge to take over the market.

8. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    I definitely hope not, I enjoy the distinction between the two. Like CSomm said, I could see Laptops replacing desktops and that could be a great thing, nobody is hurt through there. I love the feel of using a mouse and keyboard and I don't think a Tablet could ever satisfy that feeling. I think Tablets have a LONG way to go before they are considered equal, at the same time Laptops are getting better and better with better speculations.

9. andrewt

andrewtNew Member

Threads:
    While tablets are gainig ground fast in this race, I strongly believe the laptop market will never truly die, even with the detachable keyboards for tablets (essentially making them laptops). Why? The processing power is far superior in a proper laptop compared to a tablet. But who knows, maybe a day will come when tablets will be as powerfull. Tablets offer greater flexibility over laptops, so all is really needed is better specs and a price cut and they are set to go.

10. tspires2

tspires2Member

Threads:
    I am not sure that tablets will take over and be the only option! They are wonderful and I love mine, but when I work it makes me crazy! I want my laptop for that! Now desktops I would be ok to never use mine again! I haven't touched it in months. I use my laptop for everything! I don't think tablets will take over laptops just yet! They have a little more advancing to do first!

11. Guru

GuruMember

Threads:
    Tablets are certainly becoming very popular but I can't ever see them replacing tablets. Laptops offer a much easier interface for word processing and multi-tasking. Laptops will always be the first choice for professionals and I believe tablets will only ever be valued over laptops in terms of entertainment.

12. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think so because Tablets don't have keyboards, or the disk space of a Laptop. People use Laptops for school purposes, such as typing note, and storing projects. It would be extremely hard to do that with a Tablet. not to mention the gaming mart. A lot of games require keyboards, and a large amount of storage. In my opinion Tablets will never replace Laptops.

13. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    It is unlikely, but not impossible. Windows has a portable keyboard for their Tablet, and that could be the key to Tablets success. I don't think manufacturers would want this to happen anyway. Considering they produce both products. I think both Laptops, and tablets have their own niche consumer group.

14. Adryan

AdryanMember

Threads:
    I don't think so for me laptops are more advanced than tablets and it will surely take a lot of time for a tablet to surpass a laptop!!!:)

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the media played a large part in falsely "hyping" up the onset of tablets to spur more sales. I swear, every year in marketing we hear the same old thing - that this is going to be the year in mobile. They have been harping over this for like the past 5 years now. Tablets are entertainment devices, not for work or any sort of productivity. They are awful to type on, by design. They are terrible to draw anything accurately on, also by design. And weather conditions will cause the screen to become unresponsive or erratic, again, by design. Also, they are unreliable since they run off of batteries and have a limited time span before running out of juice.

The reality is, the price of laptops and desktop computers is dropping dramatically and they need some more "gadgets" for consumers to keep buying to fill that void - that is why they are shoving all these additional products in our faces such as smart watches, tablets, glasses, and other crap.

16. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I think they are the two sides of the same coins, so it`s likely to see them implied on a similar rate. Naturally, these days tablets are more popular, since they are quite new, it`s the sociall pressure of having one, but honestly you can`t work daily on your tablet, you will have to stick to old notebook.
    What I enjoy to see is that their competition created a transforming vogue: notebook tend to shrink, in order to look like tablets, while tablets tend to add powerful elements, to reach the performance of notebooks

17. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    If tablets would have all the functions of a laptop, then I agree that it might eventually replace it. However, at the moment, I really do not feel comfortable doing my work on a tablet because it's not easy to type and also there are functions which are more complicated to do in a tablet. For example, if you want to save and organize your files, you have to even download an app for that first. It's not as straightforward as how you would do it in a computer.

I'm sure that through the years, this particular loophole will be corrected. IF that's the case, then I would really go for a tablet.

18. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of people do office work on their laptop. You can't put in a flash drive into your tablet and open up some document. Same thing goes for playing games and using applications you're used to on a desktop. I still see people at libraries and in class using laptops and rarely see tablets. Laptops will always have their uses.

19. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Probably. I think there's a chance that tables would replace laptops in the future. The capabilities of the current tablets are already reaching the capabilities of laptops. They're becoming more and more powerful. The only area where tablets lag behind is in the internal storage space. Laptops have more space hands down. But it's just a matter of time when tablets would probably reach the capabilities of laptops.

20. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Well think about it - have motorcycles replaced cars? Have jet skis replaced boats? Are all the desktops gone because of laptops? Nope, nope, and no. All of these things continue to exist, because one size does not fit all. So long as there are distinct advantages and disadvantages to each thing there will never come a point where one knocks out the other. Also for not much more then price of a high-end tablet you can just buy a flipping desktop or laptop - like come on.